How does one record a video to upload to Community Recordings?

I guess Iā€™m no better at message boards than I am on guitar. How does one post a video or recording? Do you have to upload it someplace else and then share a link? Iā€™m sorry, I just donā€™t get it.

1 Like

@GDPiper169
This is not social media where you can livestream.
You need to make a recording - audio or video. Then you need to upload to a host site - Youtube or Soundcloud etc. Then you copy and paste the link to a post you make.
Hope that helps.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, thanks. That answers my question.

And what can you use to record yourself? I donā€™t have anything specialized. Only options are my iPhone or my laptop. Not sure these record in the quality requiredā€¦or they doā€¦?

There is no required quality. Record with what you have, it is fine!

4 Likes

Cripes!! I have no excuses then :grimacing: :rofl: :joy:
Thanks @Jamolay

1 Like

@Colberg69
Hi Colin
Iā€™ve only ever used my iPhone. The results from a modern phone are perfectly acceptable as the cameras are really good. The sound is not as good as with a ā€˜properā€™ microphone but again itā€™s totally acceptable. You have to experiment a bit with the position of the phone to get the balance of sound between guitar and voice and to get the video framing right.
I prop mine up on a music stand about 3 feet away and at the height of the guitar sound hole (sitting down). If playing electric through an amp then itā€™s the amp volume you have to play around with to get the sound balance right.

If you start looking at microphones and computer interphases etc you will disappear down a rabbit hole from which you may never emerge. :wink:

5 Likes

Anybody got a flashlight?ā€¦.Rod

5 Likes

Several.:rofl:

You guys and your GAS are gonna kill me.
One small bag of breadcrumbs is all anyone needsā€¦ :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

@sairfingers Thanks for the advice Gordon.
Youā€™ve given me some good points to start with. Iā€™ll have a play around and see what works.

Thanks again

Just a short question ā€¦ :innocent:

@stitch

Hello Rick :slightly_smiling_face:

May I ask you please, because Iā€™ve had similar thoughts about posting a video?

Do you have to upload a video on YouTube first to post it here in the forum?
Sharing photos seems to be much esier. I did it several times already, and it always worked. But with videos I guess it is different. I havenā€™t figured that out yet and donā€™t plan to put my humble attempts of playing my three chords on YouTube. :flushed:

Oh, Iā€™m really feeling stupid and like an absolute newbie again. :woozy_face:

Thanks in advance :sunflower:

Gunhild :lady_beetle:

2 Likes

ā€¦in lieu of Stitch,

Yeah and no. Thereā€™s no share video button like there is for pictures.

You can use YouTube or any other hosting platform to upload your video to and then share the link to it on here.

For privacy concerns you could:

Mark your video as unlisted (not public) for YouTube videos, that means they wonā€™t show up in searches or on your video list on YouTube, but anyone with the link will be able to view - this is what I do. (If you mark as private, no one will be able to see them).

Alternatively, you can use services such as Dropbox or google drive and share a link to the video files on here. Not sure how this stacks up privacy-wise though, maybe others will have a better idea.

(Thereā€™s no stupid questions :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

I know you asked Rick, but I can give an answer.

On this community, you can upload photos, but you cannot upload videos (this is an improvement as, on the last community software, you couldnā€™t even upload photos).

This is common for communities like this, as hosting video or audio content is expensive and has some potential legal issues.

The common approach is to upload to YouTube (you need an account for this). You have a choice to mark the video as public or ā€œunlistedā€. In the latter case, the video isnā€™t promoted by YouTube or discoverable via search. The only way to discover it is via the link you post to it (for instance, in this community).

But you can also upload video to other video services, such as Vimeo or Peertube.

And you can upload to file sharing services like Dropbox or Google Drive and share a link from there.

Regardless of whether you do or not, and which service you use, itā€™s always a personal choice and I support @stitch 's right to not post, and to push back against people who question his motives or reasons for doing so.

I have been the recipient of similar comments. Frankly, that sort of behaviour is bullying, pure and simple and I think there is no place for that in this community.

Cheers

Keith

9 Likes

Thank you so much

@roger_holland :sunflower:

@liaty :sunflower:

@Majik :sunflower:

for your lightning fast answers and the extremely helpful information.
Iā€™ll surely have a closer look at all of this and think about it.
Iā€™ve now seen so many great videos of you playing, and not sharing one myself feels a bit, well, kind of unfair :flushed:
So maybe one day ā€¦

Again - this community and its members are just incredible.
Iā€™ve never experienced something like this before.

You are amazing and Iā€™m so happy to be here :grinning:

Cheers to you all

5 Likes

That`s us

:rofl:

sorry for the earworm, but in my defenseā€¦you started :laughing:

Good luck with your search, but I can tell you that I know very very very little in terms of computer technology, and I figured it out within a day. But feel free to ask if it is not clear later.

Greetings :sunglasses:

1 Like

Not at all. As Keith said, itā€™s purely a personal choice. Entirely up to you.

Itā€™s not something that Iā€™m interested in doing myself.

5 Likes

@Gunhild sorry for not getting back to you but youā€™re 8 hrs ahead of me so I was in bed. Hope you got the answer you where looking for.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your kind and very fast response @stitch :sunflower:

Yes, I got multiple very helpful answers ā€¦ and wonā€™t dive deeper into my off-topic-problem here now, because it has already caused some mess in this thread.

Cheers and thanks again :grinning:

1 Like