How long can a post be edited?

Great stuff. When it came to new projects, as it was my guys who’d end up running and supporting and recovering them, I spent my whole life taking the lid off the box, when others (developers) wanted it sealed tight. In all those project meetings I’d constantly be saying “What if …” Sandboxes are great but you get real perspective from the beach !

I understand there may be a need to add a post edit time deadline. Not a problem as it preserves thread continuity. I would suggest though that a sticky announcement be made as to how long the post edit window will be if it needs to be done.

I think at least 24 hours would be prudent and possibly satisfy both areas of concern.

Thanks,
LB

1 Like

All good questions to raise.
I am unsure how many people knew about / used the edit on Road Cases … it seemed most people just stacked up post after post when edit would have kept their tour bus more clutter free.

1 Like

I watch a video on youtube about Discourse it said something about the trust levels and
the length of time you had for editing. But that may have been for what ever forum the video
was for.

Toby at his last job

Got me. You are too kind !! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I want to go into my RC, delete some stuff, edit a video, tidy it up. No edit available. Is there a way I can do this?

Hum,
I can still edit mine a day after the OP or original post. Sounds like you got nailed and need a mod now.

LB

1 Like

Do you mean you can’t edit HERE? (or do you mean, you can’t edit THERE?)

I thought the same thing when I read BW’s post. But, she should have no reason to edit it ‘there’ or on the old forum. So I am almost certain, she means ‘here’ in the new Community.

I am finding the edit time to be about 3 days on the new community? I was thinking you said it was unlimited for now?

Also, are you Mods deleting remnants of “deleted” posts? I have deleted several posts out of my road case and after a bit they disappear altogether??? That is the desired outcome, but I was wondering how it was being managed on your end?

Keep on modding,
LB

1 Like

LB is right, it’s the RC on this platform that I want to edit. I was able to do so for about 24 hours I think. I guess I could delete the whole lot and start over.

If I recall correctly, 24 hours was the time period that Discobot mentioned in the Advanced Tutorial when working through the ability to edit posts. I may be wrong, I confess I was moving quickly.

1 Like

Yep,
I think you are right, 24 hours. I thought it was longer. But looking back at the time stamps on the posts here shows it to be 24 hours indeed. I guess that is ok, all factors considered. I would rather it be 48 hours, but then the deleted post issue comes into play and that is a bad thing to manage!

Ta,
LB

Maybe there is an option to extend that duration for editing, while limiting the window in which a post can be deleted? There does seem to be a fair amount of configurability, reading between the lines on some of Lieven’s posts.

I’ll hold off on deleting the RC until we hear from Lieven. I hope you’re getting sleep Lieven. Juggling a day job, a family, your band and people like me with my questions :crazy_face: Sorry :bat:

I think it’s the same here. If you go look at the available badges it seems like you get new ‘powers’ (permissions) each time your trust level increases. Here are all the ranks:

I really hope regular and up need to be manually appointed by mods because that’s quite a lot of power to have for an average user. (Seems to be the case for Leader atleast)

1 Like

Interesting!

Thanks Ivan!
LB

David posted a blog about trust level. It say a month at trust level 2
But the mods can change that

Our Trust Levels are documented here

1 Like

What is the time window for editing posts at TL3? Just curious.

Got me in stitches, Stitch! :rofl: