How long does the battery last in your tuner pedal?

Hi everyone!
All the best for new year!

Uhm, I recently bought a polytune 3 tuner pedal and it’s gone through 2 9v batteries in less than 10 days. Does that sound normal to you?
I keep everything plugged when I don’t play (and the amp is off too):

I also just now noticed that while everything is supposed to be off, the screen flickers! I managed to grab a pic but obviously in the pic it appears static but in reality the screen flickers all the time!

Any feedback in this would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Lefteris

I would imagine it lasting months or years!

I was hoping that would be the case. Seems like I’m due for a return to Thomann… :expressionless:

If it has a buffer (it says buffer on it) which is used while in bypass it will also use power when not tuning.

It should power off properly if you remove the input cable.

1 Like

This is probably your issue. Try unplugging the lead from the tuner’s input jack. Note that the Polytune 3 user manual says “If the pedal runs on battery power, we recommend removing your instrument from the audio input to preserve battery power when you don’t play.”

What @J.W.C said.

Most pedals use the presence/absence of a input or output jack to turn the pedal on/off.

Likewise, guitars with active pickups or preamps will run the battery down if you leave them plugged in.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Yeah, the 9V in my Taylor lasts months if I remember to take the wireless transmitter out. Two days if I don’t.

1 Like

To be totally honest with you, I don’t recall reading that in the manual but, being totally honest, I didn’t read it too carefully.

I thought that this could be the case but also seemed strange to have to unplug everything.

By the way, I have the buffer off so the pedal is supposed to be in the true bypass mode. I guess though that the same thing applies,right?

Thanks Keith!

I learnt something new today.
I appreciate it that!

1 Like

Yes, it was about 2 or 3 days that both batteries lasted leaving the guitar plugged in it.
Lesson learnt!

1 Like

Yeah, I sympathize (I rarely read my manuals very carefully either). :slight_smile: It’s an easy thing to overlook. I think we all learn the “unplug it or lose the battery lesson” at one point or another, and it’s almost always from accidentally draining the batteries.

2 Likes

Yes. The pedal is still “on” even when bypassed. All True Bypass does is route the input jack signal directly to the output jack.

If bypassing also turned off the power, then it would be difficult to engage the pedal without some sort of “thump” or click noise as the pedal powered up. And with many pedals, there could also be a small delay before the pedal started processing the audio.

The power circuit is normally controlled from a simple switch on the jack socket which makes contact when the jack is physically inserted.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation Keith, I find it very useful as I’m not very good with electrical circuits and electronics.
I have a plan to get better though. The plan is to build a DIY pedal so hopefully, I’ll get up to speed at some point!