How to choose rhythm for my song

I am trying to find rhythm and play this song with it. I mean drum beat. can any body guide me?

https://www.temporary-url.com/DA8AB

The above is without drum beat and I hate my performance it does not have soul

1 Like

It sounds pretty good already. Why you don’t try some handclaps, light percussion (e.g. a shaker or bells) or a tambourine? I think anything more massive than some congas would not really fit in with the vibe of your song.

1 Like

There’s a lot going on already! Didn’t expect something so complex when I clicked the link :smiley:.

@Jozsef has already given some pretty good ideas that would fit the vibe.

For percussion though, you’ll probably have a bit of a challenge until you sort your time signature feel. You should be able to do that with just the guitar. Adding the harmonica makes it harder - maybe add that back in once time feel is established.

Main section feels 4/4. Intro - unclear to me. 4/4 with some 2/4 barres? I was having trouble picking it, and I’m usually decent with rhythm, so that means other listeners will have a challenge too. Rhythm makes you want to move your body to the beat, so you need to find that beat. There was a bit of time drift throughout as well, with the tempo changing. Probably not much of an issue with some shakers, for anything more regular it will become an issue quickly.

Once you’ve sorted out time, I reckon moving your guitar taps to a bass drum or floor tom & wood block could work. Just an idea to experiment with.

2 Likes

Hi Tom,
As far as I’m concerned I would keep the drummer’s money in my pocket…I thought it was a great song to start the morning with :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

That keyboard you have looks very elaborate, and probably has drum patterns…have you tried playing along with that?

1 Like