How To Hold A Guitar Pick

Following up on this: I started Justin’s strumming SOS this week. So much good information both in the lessons and in the community discussions. I’m already seeing improvement!

1 Like

Hi Ed, Thanks for your picture! I thought I was curling the index finger too much but maybe it’s ok then. Actually, does the way I’m holding the pick look right to you, and whoever’s reading this? (In the first pic I just turned the wrist to let you see how it looks like from the bottom. Also I know I can’t cross my legs while playing, it’s just for the picture, I usually use a foot rest otherwise or move the right heal up).

- -

My main issue with this position is that when I try to play something really fast, I have to hold it tightly not to have it rotate or move (like in this last picture, where it moved so much it was almost slipping). However, if I hold it too tight, then I play horrible up strums (in the sense that the pick would get stuck, or force my hand out of the “parallel to the guitar” position, or I’d just miss the up strum). Any suggestions? Hope the the way I explained my issue makes sense…

1 Like

I still have the “rotating pick” issue myself, but while it used to happen all the time, now it only happens when I strum hard on my acoustic. One thing that has helped me, in addition to the “grippy” picks you are using (I use these too), is to have more pick between the fingers and less pick sticking out. I started with the same pick grip that you have, but over time, I slid the pick deeper into the space between my fingers. Now, the top of my pick is practically even with the edge of my thumb and less sticks out to strum with. This seems to reduce the force that’s trying to rip the pick out of my grip.

Holding the pick so it is hitting the strings at an angle instead of flat helps as well.

In the end, everyone’s anatomy is different, and you’ll have to experiment with lots of different grips until you find the one that works for you. I find myself using a different pick grip when I strum vs. playing single notes vs. picking strings that need to continue to ring out, sometimes using my pinky as an anchor, sometimes not, all fingers curled under vs. fingers extended, etc.

And remember, rock-star players lose picks all the time, that’s why they always have a bunch of spares stuck to their mic stands, in their pockets, etc. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A tip for trying to cure rotating pick issues, is work out what you’re doing that causes it to spin.
You’ll probably find it always spins in one direction, so pause mid strum and look at the angle the pick is hitting the strings.
Now try and reverse that angle, and see if the pick spins the opposite direction.
Once you can get it to spin the opposite direction, work on finding the neutral position so it doesn’t spin, and then if you do notice it spinning, adjust the angle so it spins back in to position.

5 Likes

For some reference, here’s how I hold a pick for strumming-

If I’m picking strings, I’ll hold it similarly, but just with less pick exposed.
If switching I’ll subtly let it float in/out as required. And if strumming slowly, I’ll even sit and spin it between my fingers as I am quite a bad fidget :confused:

2 Likes

WRT to pick spinning around…

Justin’s funk course has an exercise buried in one of the lessons that helped me quite a bit, even though I have no interest in playing funk.

Basically, you deliberately let the pick rotate a full 360 degrees, in either direction. Once you learn to control this, you seem to learn how to prevent it from happening, and also get it back in position if it moves.

The exercise is around the 6 minute mark.

3 Likes

Between 5 and 6 years into learning guitar with JG and I’m wondering if I’ve been holding plectrums the wrong way all this time. I think I always follow the way Justin describes holding them between thumb and forefinger but someone I met the other day pointed out that my remaining fingers should be curled into my palm. I’ve never considered the other fingers before and now I do I see I keep them straight when strumming. I guess I always have. Returning to JG’s video he doesn’t mention the other fingers but I see he curls his into the palm as I was told I should the other day. Are there any pros and cons to this or is this just a distraction? I should say when I do curl my fingers into the palm it doesn’t feel natural and I will have to learn strumming all over again, almost from square 1.

1 Like

@Willsie01 - I also have my other fingers out in the air and never given it a second thought.

I have gone over several videos now and see both. Seem to be nothing right and wrong in this sense. - Maybe it’s just a person who is jealous of you and just want to correct you for no good reason :wink:
There are benefits to have the fingers out if you alternate between strumming and picking single strings.

If a person tells you, that you are wrong not having them curled up, then please let that person tell Paul Davids and Troy Grady and many others, that they are doing it the wrong way :wink:

Think you should just do it the way you find best :wink:

1 Like

Its funny that you are asking this question as I’ve also been wondering if I’m doing it wrong … I mostly have my fingers curled under. Mostly I find that this gives me better control of the pick and I can easily keep it from spinning around or otherwise getting into odd positions. What led me to question if curling was wrong is doing individual string picking exercises such as Picked Fingerstyle | JustinGuitar.com where the pinky is anchored.

I’ll be watching for responses to your query and I hope the right answer is “it depends”

Cheers
Glen

3 Likes

hi John,

Justin says you should always ask “why?”. Did you do that? :slight_smile:

What I have noticed is that the folks that need to speed-pick like to curl up fingers, even the one holding the pick. Check out Bernth’s Youtube commentary on it here, and here. Part of it seems to be that you can go faster with less moment arm of fingers flapping around, and you tend to not scrape strings which makes unwanted noise.

I tend to have fingers partially curled up. I like to be able to extend my little finger down as an anchor. If I grip like Bernth suggests, I cannot strum very well at all - too stiff. So my approach so far is a balance for what I am doing.

Just pick the best approach for you…

4 Likes

I agree, but like to be open to alternatives, especially if they turn out to be an improvement.

2 Likes

I tend to use the little finger as an anchor when needed.

2 Likes

That’s what I hope to do.

2 Likes

I totally understand you. I also look for alternatives and look, read and hear how others do it and try out many different ways, until I find what feels best for me. I just replied more to that sentence you made there. I feel strain in my arm when fingers are curled up and I can still use middle finger to correct the pick while keeping the strumming, despite having them out in the air.

I am lucky to be somewhat beginner only having +200 hours in. I can imagine how hard it must be for you to change after 6 years. So if it works for you after 6 years, you are certainly not doing anything wrong. You play so nice, so how could it be wrong!? Just checked your Harvest Moon clip from last year. :+1: :sunglasses: - I have my fingers something like that also, and works totally fine.
Still holding the pick as Justin suggest.

These good teachers have 2 things in common, have fun and find the best way for you. :+1: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

When I use a pick I tend to hold my fingers in a relax half curl but I also hybrid pick a lot so having them staight or a tight curl wouldn’t be very convenient for me.
I’d suggest which ever is the most comfortable. If your using the pinky as an anchor sometimes having them straight would probably be the best way for you.

2 Likes

@Willsie01
Hi John, I’ve been playing a few years less than you so take what I say with a pinch of salt. My view is that if you extend your fingers all the way out you will feel tension. If you curl them up to form a fist you will feel tension. You don’t want to play with tension, that’s just not good at all in your playing. @stitch uses the key words “relaxed”.

1 Like

When I am picking scales (like in a solo), my fingers are gently, but completely, curled under. When I am strumming with a percussive hit to the strings, my fingers are extended and relaxed. When I am strumming chords and letting all the strings ring out, my fingers are gently, but completely, curled under. When I am targeting individual strings while strumming, I anchor with my pinky and the other fingers are partially curled.

There is no right or wrong, there is only what feels right and what best fits the situation. I always suggest trying all different ways in all different scenarios and choosing what works best for you.

YMMV

2 Likes

I know that some players use the little finger or ring and little finger to touch the body of the guitar below the strings to help control the height your hand is above the strings. On the other hand, others recommend not touching the body of the guitar with your strumming hand (this doesn’t include right hand muting on the strings) for maximum freedom. I believe in using what works for you, but keeping in mind others have been there before you and if most players go one way, that’s probably the right way for you. All this stuff takes concentration and awareness to develop the technical physical skills.

You can do it. That others have done it is the proof, but you have to work at it.

Good luck,
Just_Dan

Good luck

1 Like

Hi Justin and community,

I think there’s a missing topic for beginners for which a video discussion/demonstration would be appropriate. That topic is Flat Pick, Thumb Pick, Fingerstyle or finger picks. I think it’s important to inform beginners that if they choose to flatpick, they’ll likely need to learn hybrid picking (or get very, very good a flat picking) to play a lot of songs (e.g. Stairway to Heaven, Page uses hybrid picking) and learn to not drop the pick. Travis picking with a pick, again not easy. Merle Travis used a thumb pick, as did Chet Atkins and others. And I’m not so sure the advice to choose the method based on your personal guitar heroes’ choices is correct, nor is the advice to choose a method based on the style of music you plan to play: Freddy King used a thumb pick and finger picks, Albert King used finger style, and SRV/Albert King used a flat pick and maybe some hybrid picking, I don’t know for sure, but when 3 major players in one genre use different methods, it argues against the “choose a pick based on your song genre”.

Further, there’s a big difference in your ability to play certain things with these different approaches. You can’t play two or more strings simultaneously with a pick compared to finger style, but a fast pick stroke can almost make it seem the notes ring simultaneously, but it doesn’t sound the same as plucking 2-4, or even 5, strings simultaneously with finger style. There are fingerstyle guys who’ve developed the ability to play bass, rhythm and melody all at the same time (e.g. search for “Naudo guitarist” and watch the guy) similar to how Chet Atkins does it with Sandman. Do beginners know they can’t bend a string 3 frets up on an acoustic but not an electric?

It’s not that a beginner will be able to do this any time soon, it’s that they should know the options in their journey, and to where they can lead, easily or with more difficulty. Instead I think teachers are inclined to push what they know. So, Kudos to Justin for teaching both plectrum, finger style and hybrid picking.

Personally, I believe a lot of beginners would like to know the probability they will continue playing after about 6 months of effort, for the different methods. Anyone know? What I read, is that after a beginner buys a guitar (average price (~$600) after 6 months 90% of them give it up.

@robd12
You have far too much of the pick sticking out from your finger & thumb.

See here for pictures I posted earlier in the discussion for a better grip.