How to maintain a songbook

Hey community,
Maintaining accompaniment songs, that is chords is easy but i also play fingerstyle: i learn a piece or a song, play it from memory and then forget it after a while.
This means even after learning several pieces in fingerstyle, at a given moment i can play nothing.
How do i fix this??

I learn fingerstyle through youtube currently.

Similar situation when learning a melody on piano.

2 Likes

Minimize using tab when you learn and then play a piece (tab can be a reference, but use your ears more).

Revisit pieces on an interval, and if you can’t recall it, shorten the interval between times you play it.

5 Likes

Hello Avleen, this happens to me as well. I think that spending some time to drag a song from memory after a while I’m not playing it is a necessary step. I also think it useful as a beginner that 3 chords song should be my option, nevertheless I must confess I’m guilty to often choose more complicated songs :see_no_evil: I’ m studying Classical Guitar as well and I need to say that as regards fingerstyle, Music Standard Notation works as a very useful shortcut for memorising. I think there’s something special about being able to play from memory, it’s kind of re-constructing the piece each time you play it.