How To Minimize Finger Pain

You should absolutely use 10s. At least that’s my philosophy. It will be much easier to play with 10s than with 11s, and let’s not even talk about 12s. Some people say that 10s don’t have quite as full tone as heavier strings. That may be true (there is some debate about it), but you will play better with 10s and that will sound better (and feel better!), regardless of the tone.

When you’re a beginner and struggling with finger pain, 10s are absolutely the way to go. Once you get, you know, pretty good at guitar, you could think about going towards thicker strings.

3 Likes

10’s all the way.

1 Like

I would disagree with this opinion. I have a few guitars and most of them are equipped with 10-47 sets. My main guitar is 12-53 but I would not recommend such strings for someone who is just starting. 10-47 are very joyful to play compared to 12-53 that require significant strength.

3 Likes

Me too. Because it’s wrong. They wouldn’t make 10s for acoustics if they were only suitable for electrics.

2 Likes

D’Addario Phosphor Bronze 10’s are great. I’ve used them for years and they sound great to me!

Whoever told you they weren’t a good idea was mistaken.

2 Likes

Roberta

To add to many previous comments you’ll be absolutely fine with 10s. The strings I use are Thomastik-Infeld AC110 Plectrum Bronze 10-41 Acoustic Guitar Strings some of the lightest you can get and they sound lovely (sometimes even when I’m playing!).

Brian

1 Like

Thank you so much, Brian. I ended up getting some 10-47 by D’addario and will give them to the tech when I drop off my guitar this afternoon. I’m actually really glad I’m part of this group because otherwise I wouldn’t have questioned him when he told me I should stick to 12-53. Thank you all for your precious contribution.

3 Likes

This is what I got
D’Addario Guitar Strings - Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings - EJ15 - Rich, Full Tonal Spectrum - For 6 String Guitars - 10-47 Extra Light https://a.co/d/0Vyqeq2

1 Like

Thank you! Yes that’s what I ended up getting. I suspect he didn’t have them in stock so told me that they weren’t a good option.

I agree that string gauge is a personal preference. Smaller gauges are lower tension and easier to play. However, I also found that thinner strings felt like razor blades and sound a bit empty, so I prefer thicker strings.

For the early beginner, I agree with lighter gauges. Experiment when you feel ready.

All strings are going to hurt after playing
a while until your callouses build up and you get used to not crushing them to your fretboard. It is something that absolutely gets better and you just have to push yourself until it does. I feel bad for those who let a short term well known discomfort derail their long held dream of playing guitar. We have seen that a few times on this forum. Bear with it and you will get past it.

I get lower tension strings and currently use Mangan Monel round 13s (which have the tension a bit less than standard 12s and my guitar is short scale so they are manageable after 3 years of playing).

Regarding other finger pain like @artax_2 mentions, it may be a little arthritis, but watch out for carpal tunnel syndrome.

My old joints sometimes get sharp burning pain from arthritis, mostly the joint near the tip of my left index finger.

But, I also was getting whole hand fatigue and cramping. Not just with guitar, but other activities and on waking. Clear early carpal tunnel. Wearing a carpal tunnel wrist brace at night is helping tremendously along with a few positional adjustments while playing.

I think a disadvantage to being a lefty playing righty is that my left fretting hand is already overworked in life.:man_facepalming:t3:

Keep in mind that I am a neurologist and am comfortable diagnosing myself with carpal tunnel. I can’t diagnose any one else in the forum, so best to go to a doctor if the hand pain is becoming a limiting factor.

1 Like

Thank you for your precious insight. I don’t think wild horses could stop me from willing to continue my journey to learning, as it brings me so much joy. I look forward to the day I’ll play 12-13 strings!

Roberta, when do you get your guitar back from being set up? I’m interested to know how it feels to you! :smiley:

1 Like

@judi I’m getting it back tomorrow. I’ll definitely update you all! :smile:

2 Likes

I ended up getting my guitar back today and, OMG, the setup made such a difference! I was able to play for about 25 minutes before it started hurting. I’m eternally grateful for all the recommendations I received on this platform :pray:

If you got 10’s put on you’re most likely pressing to hard on the strings. You only need enough pressure to make the strings ring out. With a set up and 10’s that should be very little.

That’s great news, Roberta! You’re on your way now! :smiley:

1 Like