How to move on from a 0.38 pick

@Tony & @Goffik
I might have to try a thick pick then. I’m using a mid weight one right now. I’ve noticed quite a few of the more experienced guys use the thick ones. Time to pick up a Jazz III when I’m next in a music shop then.

2 Likes

I didn’t care for the jazz III, first started with the Dunlop Maxgrip but now use the bogstreet lead pick.

1 Like

I like the Jazz III (especially the orange/red ones) for lead lines; they’re great for that. But not so much for strumming.

1 Like

I also think it’s as much about the shape, size, and edge as anything else. I always struggled with strumming using a thicker pick until I tried ones with a different edge (I’m actually now using Gravity Razer 2mm and I have no problems strumming with those).

So I wouldn’t just restrict yourself to one or two picks, but also to different materials, pick sizes, shapes, etc. until you find something you like.

Cheers,

Keith

4 Likes

I have used various thicknesses of the Dunlop tortex picks, red, orange, yellow. Recently have been using the Dunlop Gator Grip picks. Can’t say exactly why I like them, a feel thing. Just wish I could get the feel in my playing! GATOR GRIP® PICK .58MM - Dunlop

2 Likes

As I started this thread I thought I would say how I have decided to go.

Classical guitar - sticking at present with 0.38 Jim Dunlop Nylon however started to have a go strumming with my thumb and sounds very mellow, think it will work well in due course with some songs.

Acoustic guitar - already started to use Jim Dunlop 0.46 nylon and at some point will try to move up to 0.6 JDN. Have noticed that this is more flexible than the orange tortex pick which is 0.6.

Michael :guitar::notes:

From the beginner 0.38 pick, that really helped with Rhythm, I moved straight to…strumming with fingers, it allowed for more exploring, taking things slowly, felt and still feels like more natural for me…it actually didn’t sound quite good at the beginning though :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

As I started this off I thought I would give an interim update.

For my acoustic I have put away all my Jim Dunlop Nylon 0.38 and have been using JDN 0.46 with recently occasionally JDN 0.6 and at the point of moving over to 0.6 all of the time. Also tried tortex 0.6 which is where I want to get to and feel I am not too far off this last jump. What I have noticed that the thicker picks can make a louder sound, looks like I am going to have to sing louder, not sure what the family will think.

Michael

2 Likes

That’s true. When I play my 12 string acoustic, I rarely use a pick thicker than 0.73 mm.

1 Like

I’ve settled on the 0.6 Orange Tortex for acoustic and 1.35 Black Jazz 3XL Tortex for Electric.

Thicker picks certainly can be louder, but controlling the volume and dynamics will come with time.

Rod.

1 Like

Well I have had to admit defeat with the Tortex 0.6 it is very smooth and just kept moving around on virtually every strum. Have looked at Justin’s lesson on manipulating the pick which I could do but not every strum, it was distracting.
So sticking with Jim Dunlop Nylon 0.6 for now which has some raised lettering which gives it a bit of grip and stops it moving around.
Has anybody else had the same experience with smooth picks.
Michael

@MAT1953
Try the Dunlop Gator Grip picks Michael. They come a variety of thicknesses and shapes and have a sort of chalky finish which I find lessens the slip factor. The finish does wear off eventually though.

2 Likes

Thanks Gordon @sairfingers
Will take a look
Michael

I’ve tried quite a few pick materials and I settled on the Gators.

1 Like

Chris @jacksprat
Sounds like another vote for gators
Michael

Hi Michael, I switched to the Tortex 0.6 too, as it was a recommended pick. First had troubles with moving around. Then I glued some fabric tape (3M) on both sides of the pick, et voilà, no moving around any more. For me a very inexpensive solution that works perfect for me. Apart from the slippery surface, I like this Tortex 0,6 very much because it’s a very versatile pick, giving a good sound. I have a big variaty of picks but I always come back to this one with the acoustic.

Edit: it looks a litte plucked, due to heavy use…looks better, when tape is new :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Michael,

Maxpic No.5/351 Heavy 1,0mm|autoxauto

Maxpic No.5/351 Medium 0,75mm

And I use the 1mm…
and

Very satisfied with,

Succes,

1 Like

Nooo :see_no_evil:
That’s how I did it in the beginning… :joy: :rofl: :joy:
Great to see…
Greetings

1 Like

Good morning, Rogier, what a kind of trendsetter you are! Keep it simple, is the way to go. Doesn’t look any good, but helpful. As a beginner I’m permitted to do that! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Rogier inspired the development of the fender mojo pick gripper

1 Like