How to Play Greensleeves on the Guitar

This one has been toughest song for me to learn yet for whatever reason.

1 Like

Omg Iā€™m a nightmare at finger style lol. Is there an easier place to begin? It takes me like 3 solid minutes to go from one strum to the next :flushed:

Lauren @lmcguiness
First of all welcome to the community. :grinning:
You are ahead of me I am only in grade 2 but interested in finger style and working on House of the Rising Sun, it is a 6:8 but gets your thumb and three fingers working. The chords change every bar but if you are in grade 3 that should not be an issue I expect.
Here is the lesson, it is about 5 mins in when Justin goes through the figure style option.

Michael

Helloā€¦have you learnt Justinā€™s fingerstyle arrangement of Happy Birthday? ā€¦itā€™s way easier and will give you a taste of which skills you need to develop for this.

Silvia
I agree Happy Birthday which is in Grade 2 is another good one. You have to move your fingers in you left hand around, rather than just chords, (assuming you are right handed) and coordinate with playing the correct strings with your right. I am about half way through it and finding it quite tricky.

1 Like

Hello Matt, thereā€™s quite a lot of stuff going on there, it requires patience and perseveranceā€¦and super slow practice! With repetition your skills will develop, no doubt about that!
Have fun! :blush:

1 Like

Thank you! @MAT1953 and @SILVIA
I must have missed Happy Birthday - Iā€™m going to go back and try that one instead and see if itā€™s any easier for me. For some reason my hand likes strumming but picking itā€™s not so sure about yet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HI
It took me weeks to get ā€œGreensleevesā€ right . DONā€™T use the word easy inthe thumbnail. However ,I stuck with it and that tells me that guitar is the thing for me in spite of the resistance. Canā€™t imagine me putting that amount of time and effort into something I donā€™t love unless forced.
Thank you

2 Likes

Or paid. :grinning:

1 Like

I have the same question.

Justin mentions Yesterday in another video from this module.

Greensleeves was fun, so it would be so great to have a way to search for all of the chord melody arrangements on the website.

1 Like

I found this a challenge,but rewarding I can play it accurately, but slowly.
Dueto my arthritic fingers,I sustituted the F barre,for a F power chord but it sounds ok.

1 Like

ahhh hardā€¦i just feel like my finger is not moving. took 2 days to learn 2 section@.@ still cant get it smooth

This one wasnā€™t as hard to learn as I thought it would be. It was great fun to learn so Iā€™m sure that helped. The hardest part was doing the F chord, mainly because I hadnā€™t put much effort into practicing it before. If you already have F down pat, you should have a good head start with this song.

Should I finger the whole chord or is it okay to just finger whatā€™s played? I find the latter easier but want to make sure Iā€™m not developing bad habits.

Hoi Thijs, @moger777
Welcome hier and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

With this arrangement by Justin it is no problem to only fret the notes you play with some chords, often this is because it is easier to come back to a slightly different way of playing that chord later in the song or to to avoid major sound errors if you accidentally touch the wrong string and that with the fully fretted chord it still sounds okayā€¦ so it depends a bit on the situation.
But I put this one on video myself and I play it almost every week and in some cases I also start fretting something elseā€¦
Have fun and hope to see/hear more from you especially if you have mastered this one :sweat_smile: :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hey johnfromma. I thought that I had the F Barre chord sorted until I met Greensleeves. Justin said twice or three times, on the video, that this was an easy tune -yeah. I think Iā€™ll forget the "rolling chord " bit for the time being and just concentrate on block chords. Iā€™ll get there in the end but this one is a little bit taxing