Hurt - Johnny Cash cover by JK

I mean pull the mic away from you and to compensate for the decrease in volume into the recording increase the “GAIN” knob on the Scarlett a bit. You should get more of a room sound. I have a condenser mic too and it naturally sounds a bit too clean for my taste.

1 Like

If you’re recording in Ableton Live, how are you recording the video simultaneously? I thought Ableton was just an audio interface but maybe I was wrong? I have been doing mine in OBS but I also have Ableton, just haven’t messed around much with it although I can see it is much more powerful.

Also… You’re two tracking? Vocals into the mic and guitar direct into the other channel of the Scarlett? Does the guitar bleed into the vocal channel a lot? So far I’ve only done 1 track both on the same mic channel, trying to split the volume roughly evenly between the two.

1 Like

Well done! I think I’m gonna add this one back into my repertoire!

1 Like

Thanks for the mic tip. I’ll try it.

I record webcam video at the same time then import video and audio into premiere elements, line up the tracks and then mute the webcam audio track. Haven’t tried OBS.

Two tracking just seemed to be the way to do it, it’s what the Ableton tutorials said to do :grinning:. I do get some bleed into my mic, but not a huge amount. My mic seems to be very directional. Not sure if that’s normal or not as I don’t really have anything to compare it with.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Gordon.

Thanks for checking it out @Fast-Eddie. It’s a good song to have as a campfire one I reckon. Fun to play.

Bravo! That was some sweet playing and singing. Not sure why you’re apologising for the singing, I thought it was spot on. Then again, we are our worst critics.

1 Like

You should have no worries concerning your vocals. I thought you sounded great. I too think this is such a great song. Also, great playing and transitions from picking to strumming.

1 Like

JK
That was mighty impressive and, no apologies needed whatever for the vocals. All good.
Can I ask a question which leads to a tip.
Are you lifting all fingers whenvshifting fron C chord to D chord?
I hear the notes, certainly the top note, die off and not sustain.
Might I suggest you try to keep the strings pressed and you slide all three up to position. That will give a smoorher change without a dropout.
To make this work well, focus your eyes on ykur 3rd finger sliding from fret rhree to five.

1 Like

Thank you @SgtColon and @pkboo3. Glad you enjoyed. Thanks for the kind words.

@Richard_close2u, yes I believe I am lifting my fingers rather than sliding with this one. Don’t have my guitar with me right now to see what I am doing but pretty sure it is that. Didn’t realise I was supposed to slide in this song - that’s a great tip, I’ll definitely incorporate it. Thanks, I love getting tips to help improve my playing!

That was great JK and the vocal was good and totally right for the song. A nice version of the song.

1 Like

Great song selection. I also prefer the Cash version! So much passion in the song. Nice job!

1 Like

Thanks @robert.c.1984. Cash definitely made it a lot better than the NiN version.

@jkahn That’s a truly awesome performance my friend really nice mood to the guitar, the switch of energy between verse and chorus felt spot on. And don’t apologise about the singing, sounded bang on for the song!! Bravo :clap:

1 Like

I agree though know there are a few folk in the Community who’d see it differently. And if you’ve never watched the music video of Cash performing the song, that is something to see.

1 Like

@Notter Thanks for checking it out mate. Funny with these things I go back and look again and cringe a bit. So hard to watch myself.

@DavidP Its a great music video, i’ve watched it a few times! Quite moving. Stirs the soul.

1 Like

I think we’re all the same there!!

1 Like

Hi,
Nice job on a great song. Not sure why you are not keen on your vox. It was fine. You need a pop filter to help limit the plosives. That will help the vox out. Good play and over all goodness!

Keep up the good vibe,
LB

1 Like

Amazing job. You sound like a professional to me in both vocals and guitar playing. It was a great decision to keep the vocals. Thanks very much for sharing. I hope to progress to your level some day. You have got it down-just own it with confidence
:slight_smile:

Jeff

1 Like

@LBro Thanks for the watch and the feedback. I was bummed out on the vox because I didn’t get the melody right. I’d been practicing it (without guitar) but got it wrong, and didn’t really notice until after I’d uploaded and shared… I was focusing on my guitar playing.

@SDKissFan Thanks for the kind words Jeff. Glad you enjoyed it. If you like the song and watch Justin’s lesson, it’s not very far away from your level - it’s one of those songs that are easier to play than it looks. I just practiced it a lot!

1 Like