Hurt - Johnny Cash cover by JK

Hi JK,
Fantastic played AND sung :sunglasses: :sunglasses:…it was only half as good otherwise, this style suits your voice really well,…I enjoyed this in the early morning,… :clap:
Greetings

1 Like

Thanks @roger_holland, I hope it helped you wake up and enjoy the morning!

Hey James. As others have already mentioned above, your voice sounds great for this tune. Very envious of all of you singer guitarists on these forums.
Enjoyed your playing and the tone of this performance in general mate. good stuff!

1 Like

Thanks for the listen and feedback @Dro_1

GREAT!
I really liked this and i like your voice too.
I might be totally wrong about this but i get the feeling you are afraid to go high when you sing, … if it is so you should not .

1 Like

Thanks @menrei. I’m pretty new to singing, haven’t figured out how to go high - maybe will get there eventually. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you have time, energy, and interest the Chris Liepe course enabled me to go high. I have a feeling we’ve discussed this before, but I get muddled as to what conversations with which members, so apologies if this is old news.

1 Like

Yep, I’ve got it on my list, will get there eventually :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Very nicely played and singing is very well suited as well. Very good how you managed the transition between the strumming and the picking part. Great stuff!

1 Like

I love this song and you did a great job with it. I have nothing constructive to add, as there are some great tips in the thread. Keep jamming :metal:

1 Like

@andyPlays @Traveler Thanks for checking this relic from last year out :grinning:. This one was about 6 months into starting my guitar journey… And one of the first couple of times I’d tried to sing (badly, still working on that, but improving slowly).

1 Like

It’s all an uphill climb and there is no finish line. Ha!

1 Like

Hi @jkahn JK, I loved your take on this.
Hurt is one of my favourites as well. You have the voice for the song, slighly more Bass than Baritone, Johnny Cash is fully in your range. I love it. I would definitely not be shy about this achievement. But, I would also definitely revisit it, in between your Rock Songbook challenge, and have a second bite at it, as it is such a great song. You have a very steady rhythm between chorus and verse, which is perfect, many would try and achieve the intensity of the chorus by accelerating the pace, but it actually comes through strumming the high strings on the beat and the low strings on the off-beat. To top it all off in the second chorus, by having all chords (Am7, F) augmented with the high G on string 1, and the G chord by adding the D on string 2, which kind of mimics the piano hammering that is going on in the original, which is where the pain in the song intentionally becomes unbearable.

bring the voice up a notch higher :+1:

@jkahn No need for the edit. I thought the vox just made it more your own. An enjoyable listen, and well done IMO.