I feel disheartened at my own progress having watched Livestream #3

Hi @Stuartw

This has been a really interesting collection of replies. I sure hope you find useful wisdom in these!

When I have the doldrums, sometimes I just need to get some rest or sleep. Not joking here. If you are fatigued, get some rest, be it mental or physical. It really helps me out after a hard workweek or too many late nights.

One thing I wish I had is a buddy to enjoy a child-like discussion/sharing of what we are learning. This would be discussion beyond what the general community would care to see - silly stuff, curious research findings, friendly competition, things like that. This will generate enthusiasm all on its own. The buddy doesnā€™t even need to be in person, sending videos and simply texting each other will go a long way.

5 Likes

David

I should add that I actually donā€™t play many ā€œsongsā€ these days. I cherry pick one or two for Open Mics but the near 2 years of developing the singing and playing left me a little song fatigued but now and then will open up my Songbook and run through a couple or three for my own personal pleasure and distraction. Or something I hear might float my boat but these days I am not moving from song to song constantly as I was during the old BC and IM.

I am more into Blues Rock soloing and solo acoustic Blues or just plain improvising, the latter being a place to indulge and get lost in the flow. Clint will hate me but 10 min backing tracks are great for that :wink: But none of this would have been possible, the relationships between the licks and chords etc, without the strong wide and deep foundation I built in the early days and that was all based on songs songs song songs and more songs, as a certain Mr C still encourages to this day !

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
No need for confessions Toby, Iā€™m sure a certain Mr C will grant you an exemption!
But donā€™t tell him that I havenā€™t played any songs for a couple of months - itā€™s been 12 BB progressions all the way!

1 Like

Ainā€™t no thing to play for hours over backing tracks and loops, itā€™s just not a recipe for great or interesting listening for others. We need to be able to lay down our tasty chops that we share in fairly short order. We should be able to convey some kind of motif or phrasing within about 12 bars.

Sorry could not resist dangling the hook for the West Coast angler :rofl: Reeled you in :wink:
Quite agree with you on the recording and sharing front, 2 to 3 mins max noodle time, would be my preferences but we all have our own menu. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I guess my ambition was to Wish You Were Here and which I have achieved, as I can mostly play the tune, incl riffs, although not fault free.

Would need to have a think about that as never really had any goals as such. Was going to do the JG course and see what happens!

See above but going to have to water my goals down :slight_smile:

To all that have responded to my original post thank you but letā€™s end it here!

3 Likes

Some really good, interesting responses hereā€¦ I donā€™t think I can add to the advice given but would say this:

Many of us refer to this as a ā€œJourneyā€ & I think that is goodā€¦ so much of life seems to be about ā€œGetting to where you want to goā€ in lots of waysā€¦

Many times I have set out with a destination in mind and ended up somewhere I had no intention of going to but ended up enjoying the heck out an experience that was completely unexpected! Maybe I got to the original destination eventually, maybe notā€¦ point is, have a good time WHEREVER YOU AREā€¦ set out for that other place tomorrow/next week/next monthā€¦ etc.

I havenā€™t achieved a single one of my original guitar goalsā€¦ I think I set them way to high & this is part of why I never really learned to play wellā€¦ Justinā€™s Campfire, Developer, Dreamer plan has helped me immensely with setting some realistic expectations for my progress. I have always wanted to play Djangoā€™s Minor Swingā€¦ it kinda drove me nuts when I tried to play parts of it unsuccessfully. Now itā€™s firmly in my Dreamer category & I am working slowly towards the techniques I need to play that song! It may take me till Iā€™m 70, but dang it, Iā€™m going to master it!!

Some days things wonā€™t click & the next day they doā€¦ some days I canā€™t park the car straight eitherā€¦ thatā€™s life!

Oh wellā€¦ rant overā€¦ good luck with busting out of the doldrums @Stuartw !

Tod

2 Likes

@CATMAN62

The journey analogy works pretty well, Tod.

I also like the adventure analogy, given that some may associate a journey with a specific destination, start and finish. Of course I over think this, but hey ho nonny oh thatā€™s how I go.

1 Like

And frequently getting lost on the way is part of that ! Why should learning the guitar feel or be different. I think once you recognise and acknowledge that these ā€œbumpsā€ along the way are going to happen, its easier to deal with them and get going again. My .02 euros
:sunglasses:

Oh yes, thereā€™s journey and thereā€™s adventure.
My sat nav has three settings - eco, fast and leisurely. (not that I use it cos I usually know where Iā€™m going). Iā€™ve set off on this journey of learning guitar but I prefer it when it turns into an adventure. As I make my way through Grade2 Iā€™m learning things that I didnā€™t know were there to be learned and I might take a turn off the fast route onto the leisurely route. It may turn out to be a cul-de-sac or it may turn out to be a much more adventurous and fun route to where Iā€™m going.

Weā€™ll learn more on the scenic route.

Iā€™ll throw in my 2c. In my almost 50 years of playing Iā€™ve met a lot of people setting off on their musical journey.

The ones who look at it as many small journeys with specific destinations advance very quickly and become outstanding musicians.

The ones that look at it as one long journey with no real destination get frustrated and quit.

The ones who view it as an adventure meander around and never reach the full potential.

4 Likes

I resemble thisā€¦. Fortunately, I am not worried about any ā€œpotentialā€. The rock star ship sailed long ago.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with not reaching your potential just donā€™t spend the rest of you life saying ā€œI wish I could play thatā€ or ā€œIā€™ll never be able to play thatā€ Just enjoy the ride. Thatā€™s whatā€™s important.

7 Likes

If we each had some idea what our potential for playing the guitar is, it would be easier to know how we are doing relative to it. But we donā€™t, and knowing what our potential is might be an inhibitor to reaching it. E.g. Iā€™m never going to be able to play ā€˜Eruptionā€™ so why even try learning to play. Or, I could be a really good musician if only I spent 10 hours a day practicing, but Iā€™m not willing to make the sacrifices.

50 hears ago I decided to stop playing because I didnā€™t see that I had much potential. Perhaps it was the right decision for me at the time. Iā€™ll never know, and I have no regrets, but my reasoning was flawed. I used natural talent, comparing myself to others, as the main/only measure of my potential.

Everything is different now. Iā€™m old enough (retired) to have lots of time to learn to play and I have a more mature assessment of my talents and skills. I have no idea if Iā€™m falling short of whatever my current potential is, but I agree with Rickā€™s @stitch view with a little addition : Its more effective to take ā€œmany small journeys with specific destinationsā€, BUT donā€™t be afraid to go off on adventures from time to time and donā€™t be concerned if you donā€™t reach every one of your destinations in a timely manner. Feedback from your journeys and adventures will help you decide on the next set of journeys. And ā€œenjoy the rideā€, both the ups and the downs.

4 Likes

I like this!!! Thinking of where you want to be in time but taking the scenic route instead of the (in the US) Interstate Highway!

I also use the Journey analogy instead of the Adventure analogy because some of my ā€œAdventuresā€ were just a wee bit too Adventurous!!! Hot air balloon ride that ended with a street sign going through my right forearm or the skiing lesson that ended up with an up front and personal close encounter with a tree ( and the ski patrol )!!!
Donā€™t need much more ā€œAdventureā€ ā€¦ the scenic route sounds great!!!

Tod

2 Likes

I think this sort of the way I have approached things after completion of Beginners Grade 2 where I set my self the goal of learning beginner level fingerstyle. Once I achieved that rather than continue onto intermediate level fingerstyle I set myself a new goal of learning beginner level blues. Once Iā€™ve finished that goal Iā€™ll reassess my goals and set myself a new destination whether itā€™s intermediate fingerstyle or blues or something else like rock.

2 Likes

It shows in your videos. Youā€™ve come a long way this year James :beers:

2 Likes

I think I have the potential not to drive the dog away when I play.

1 Like

I do feel weā€™ve gone a bit off topic here. This thread started with everyone trying give @Stuartw a bit of encouragement and support. Iā€™m in no way trying to diminish the time and thought people have put into their responses but he himself has subsequently said 3 days ago

Gordon ā€¦ @Stuartw wrote that when the conversation was within the LiveStream after-show topic. He wrote it before I split the topic and created a topic of its own in response to people commenting that the topic had become derailed.

That said, Stuart hasnā€™t returned to make much comment since.

2 Likes