I get why people like OD pedals

I tried a Klone-type OD pedal (Sugar Drive) in a store and enjoyed it.

The amp was set up fairly clean when I played rhythm parts of songs I like, then I stepped on the OD with both the gain and volume around 1’o clock. It sounded awesome to me.

I understand why people like OD pedals now.

I was surprised because I used the klone-type pedal unconventionally. A sales person at the store said people usually turn off the gain on these, but I got quite some gain from it and enjoyed playing it.

The tone knob had been replaced with an ugly, small, white one and I got the pedal for 45$.

3 Likes

Looks like you found a sweet spot for you! and for a good price ^^.
Knobs are easy to replace :smiley:

Usually that’s the point where you still have a good definition but the character of the OD starts to grease up the tone.

That with a little reverb is my go-to thing for electric tones where I sing over.

1 Like

They’re a lot of fun! I have a Klone pedal, too—a really cheap one I got on Amazon—as well as a Boss BD2 Blues Driver. I use the BD2 as a clean boost, like what your salesperson described. For me it shapes my tone a bit and adds just a little bit of dirt that I think sounds good so I leave it on pretty much all the time. Then the Klone adds more overdrive when I want it. It’s a lot of fun to play with them alone or in combination.

1 Like

Allright… i feel a gas attack coming up… :laughing:

1 Like

My friend has a nobels ODR Mini v2 which he is willing to part with if I exchange my Klone with him. I am gonna try it out at his place on the weekend.

He said he prefers the Klone because he plays in a band, and the circuit ā€œcuts through the mix well,ā€ whereas his Nobels v2 is a ā€œsubtle OD intended for bedroom and recording usage but not for gigging unless paired with an EQ.ā€

He told me even if I will like the Nobels, ā€œyou will end up getting a klone or a tubescreamer clone if and when you start playing live more often.ā€

So I visited my friend and checked out some OD pedals he had.

I exchanged my Klone clone for an EHX Crayon. Just fell in love with it. The footswitch is stiff on this one though.

I have decided to practice more and not buy any pedals or amp for the next few months.

Thank you for encouraging me.

^^
This for the win! I’m thinking tone is in the fingers. :wink:
imho.

How many are ya up to? Pedals, and amps?

Glad yer happy with yer new OD pedal. Have a lot of fun with it.

1 Like

Pedals so far: TU-2> EHX Crayon > RC-1

Amps: 1 solid state amp

If I consistently practice upto Xmas, I have decided to reward myself by buying either

  1. A small tube amp (1 to 5 Watts) OR

  2. A Squier Telecaster OR

  3. RV-6/ CE-5/ DD-8 pedal for adding some ā€œspiceā€

Yep. My amp can get plenty dirty on its own, but I like to play with clean tones a lot and only add a little crunch here and there. That kind of thing is definitely what the pedal is for.

1 Like

This sounds like a good motivator to me.
You do have a little room to grow perhaps. (That’s coming from someone who has 4 amps, 4 1/2 guitars, and 2 pedals. yeah, I got more pedals, but they are not in use)
And your list looks like a great place to grow too.
Myself, I’d concentrate on item one for sure.
Having a good amp, that sounds good all by itself, is a great way to motivate your desire to play. Least it worked that way for me. Consider that a amp is ā€˜what’ your hearing. A great, expensive guitar, played through a crummy amp, will sound like a crummy amp. A low dollar guitar will sound steller played into a great amp. Just food for thought for your Christmas present. :wink:
Personally, I’d bump up the 1-5W to 15W + or -. But that’s me. 15W will be too loud, but there are ways to control the vol. Like vol. controls on amps and/or guitars. Or even some pedals have vol. control. :wink:
Yer gonna have to tame the volume on a 1-5W tube amp too. So might as well have a little extra for when ya feel like really getting down!

Seems like ya got a great plan to me.
Have fun playing with your new pedals between now and Christmas. :wink: You have much to look forward to.

1 Like

Thank you.

My specific plans will be

  1. Either buying a Squier Classic Vibe Tele OR
  2. Boss CE-5/ RV-6/ DD-8 to add some spice OR
  3. Buying a tube amp which won’t require biasing before installing tubes in the future.

While I know and would prefer buying a tube amp to a guitar or a pedal, I saw my friend replacing tubes in his amp. He told me he does that every year. He has a small collection of them, and also some electronic equipment, so that he could ā€œbiasā€ the tubes before installing them. It seemed like a fairly difficult technical procedure.

I love tube amps but I am scared of my amp falling and the internal glass tubes getting damaged when I travel using public transportation. My solid state amp had fallen once from a bus accidentally as I was off-boarding it, but there was not much damage to it at all.

Playing with tone is good. Carry on.

1 Like

imho, unless your playing your tube amp all the time, it may not need to have tubes replaced once a year.
Two of my amps are tube amps. One I got new, one used.
The used one is now 4 or 5 years old. I replaced the tubes when I got it. It’s one of the ones that is self biasing. So pretty easy to just R&R them. Plus, there’s only 2 tubes so didn’t break my bank account. Them tubes are still in use 4-5 years later.
The other amp is 3 years old. I got that one new. I’ve not replaced the tubes in it. It sounds fine and performs as I think it should.
I have considered, and may take both to the shop for inspection though. As I am aware that tube amps do require periodic service. Bad part for me is, the shop is 50 miles out.

Since I’ve never bias my one amp, I don’t know, but I thought ya biased tubes after they were installed in the amp. Each tube is slightly different so ya need to set the bias after ea. tube replacement. I could be wrong of course.

I think ya need to know where to check voltage at inside the amp. If ya know that, it don’t look so hard to do, if ya know how to do it and have the proper tools. And, what not to touch while the amp is live. There’s 420vdc round abouts when a tube amp is in operation. Touch the wrong thing when it’s live, and ya die. So ya need to be aware of what’s happening so as not to hurt yourself. I don’t know enough so feel it’d be best for me to spend money and have a electronic specialist do the work safely, and properly.

That’d be a good consideration. I don’t think tube amps like to be dropped.
Solid state are much more robust it seems. One of my solid state amps has a dented corner. No idea how it happened, but it musta took a pretty good hit to dent the corner of it.
I did have to service that amp, but it had nothing to do with the damage to the cab. It had a broken pot that I personally broke trying to get the knob off of it. My error.

There are some pretty good sounding solid state amps out there imho. I’d surely consider them roland jc amps. Or, I’m more than satisfied with my peavey transtube bandits. They outright sound good to me. Not as good as the tube amps, but pretty darn close. Close enough that I play them all the time.
fwiw. I rotate through my amps. Today I play this one, tomorrow, that one. I think solid state has it’s place for short play periods too. If I’m likely to play for 5-15min or the likes. I’ll use a solid state amp so as to not be turning on and off a tube amp.

Anyways, ya’ve got time. It’s on your side. Use this time to do much research as to where ya wanna go. Amp, guitar, pedals. I did the same as your doing. I spent many months doing research in where I wanted to go, before spending any of my dough. fwiw, I also didn’t land where I thought I would have. This was after I played some different gear at the music store and experienced them. Ya may wanna head off to your local music store and give some gear your thinking about a try, see if it really is what your wanting to acquire. Ya may end up in a different place than you think you will. I did. :wink:

Have fun in your adventure! Turn up the OD pedal. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know about biasing or whether my friend did it before or after installing tubes. Just saw him do it.

Yup, I have noted everyone’s suggestions. Thanks a lot.