I’m a Believer - Neil Diamond

That sounded great Gordon. I agree with other comments that putting a solo in while doing rhythm sounds sterile. One possibility without getting too technical is to video a strictly rhythm version and then solo over that, and maybe video that as well. I don’t remember hearing Neil Diamond sing this though I love his music. I will have to check it out.

1 Like

Hi LB. Thanks for taking time to listen and comment. Yes the Monkees version is a real golden oldie. Thanks for the thought about using headphones, I’m still working on all this and trying not to get caught up in tech. :smiley:

Thanks for the listen and kind comments Mark. The ND version I was basing this on is here.

Nice!

1 Like

Cool, thanks for sharing Gordon.

Have always enjoyed a listen to Neil Diamond Hot August Night, the live double album from 1972 https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZZ0k0Eps6VMrQ_b3I109bwuoLvvJJZwl

1 Like

Haha I’ve got the original double vinyl album, bought in 1972, somewhere in the attic. :smiley:

1 Like

Well I thought it was really good Gordon. Yes a slight pause on the solo but I think everything that has been said have covered it already. Just try not to over think it.

I always enjoy what you bring to this section.

1 Like

@SgtColon
Thanks Stefan, I appreciate you taking time to listen and comment.
Yes, the solo riff is ancient history now! :smile:

1 Like

I like that you jumped out there and played it with your trouble areas. It’s how you improve and how you got some great critiques. I have these similar issues with a couple of my songs I want to improve on. You’ll get there.

1 Like

Sounds very good. Couldn’t really tell there was a problem with the guitar solo thing just sometimes when it’s just you and acoustic I suppose it stops the flow of the song when you’re just playing a lead line with no backing! But would probably impress people watching anyway !

1 Like

Hi Gordon!
I enjoyed listening to your cover of this cool song. Great strumming and vocals!
As for the insertion of the riff (which I would rather call “solo”) - everything has already been said correctly, and I was late :grinning:
The only thing that can be added is to try to play and sing it all just with a click, if there is no way to use a backing track and a looper.
Thank you, Gordon, for your videos!
Leo

1 Like

That’s a fun song to play and sing, Gordon, you’re definitely ready for the campfire! I agree the little added runs are nice, tough to fit in the solo without a backing track though. I don’t think you need anything fancy on this one anyway, it’s a great sing-a-long strummer :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I really like this. Big Monkees fan since watching the Saturday morning TV show on my Granny’s black & white telly in the 70s. My favourite song was “What Am I Doing Hanging Round” which I will try and do a cover of some time. Your performance is sounding great. Very entertaining. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks Pam. You’re right, posting something that you know has mistakes generates a bit of discussion and some helpful advice.

Something I find incredibly easy to do … posting without mistakes, imagine that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks Lewis, I appreciate the listen and comment. Always nice when people take the time to listen and comment.

1 Like

Thanks Leo. When does a riff become a solo and how short does a solo need to be to become a riff?:smiley:
Yes even a silent metronome with the flashing light would have helped my timing of the ‘solo’.
Thanks for the listen and advice.

Thanks Mari. I appreciate the listen and kind comments. Yes it’s a definite campfire/party song as everyone knows it thanks to the Monkees version.

1 Like

Hi Rod. I too loved the Monkees tv show back in the day. For a manufactured band they were more talented than they got credit for.
Glad you enjoyed my version. Thanks taking time to listen.

Yes, you’re right David. One day……one day. :smiley:
Btw. The targeted reply thing is working today.

1 Like