I made an empty fretboard diagram to practice notes on fretboard

You’re welcome. I’m Glad I can help :partying_face:

Yes. It is in the Music Theory Course. Grade 4

2 Likes

very cool

1 Like

One trick I came across for learning the notes on the fretboard was to use a mnemonic phrase, in this case, Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles’ Father.

Starting on the 5th string in the 2nd fret and moving down B - E - A - (shift up one fret for the B-string) D - G - (back to the 6th string, same fret where G repeats and continue down) C - F. Here there is another shift up the neck where the mnemonic begins again. Two things to remember are to shift up one fret when crossing the B-string and to shift up one fret when starting the mnemonic over.

I found this to be very useful for me along with the “down 2 strings and up 2 frets” hack for finding the same note. For example, starting in the 1st fret on the 6th string we have an F, moving down 2 strings to the 4th string and up 2 frets to the 3rd fret we find another F. The pattern works for all notes but remember to add one extra fret when crossing over the 2nd string. so from the 4th string 3rd fret F we’d move down 2 strings to the 2nd string and up 3 frets to find the F note in the 6th fret.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :beers:
Richard

2 Likes

@Richard_N I can’t thank you enough. When I was practicing the fretboard I was splitting them into 3 fret groups and memorize them but this is much much much easier. I’ll definitely work on this system cheers.

@Harry825 Thank you very much. Glad you liked it :smiley:

1 Like

@Richard_N what you have discoverd is how a guitar is tuned. It’s in 4ths. If you find Richard’s (close2u) Circle of 5th topic and go counter clockwise around the circle starting on the B you will have B E A D G C F.
So you can start on any note on the guitar and use the circle of 5th (counter clockwise) to help name the notes using your formula. When you get to th flat note you either don’t shift up on the B and learn the flat notes on the fret board or ignore the flat symbol and keep your formula

2 Likes

I’m down with the circle. :+1:

1 Like

@erkanbolt Thank you for creating/sharing this. I was about to try and do something similar. In addition to being able to pick out notes going across the open strings and then frets, I’m wanting to learn where all the Cs are within the first 12 frets, then slowly work my way through each letter. Doing this by playing on the guitar seems to connect differently from circling it on paper - maybe something to do with us getting a sense of space when holding the guitar? The paper is handy when the guitar is not to hand though. Did anyone find a decent app that offers the same?

Fantastic idea, many thanks for your hard work and for sharing

1 Like

The Justin Guitar Fretboard Note Trainer is an app for learning the fretboard notes and it has four different options for ways of learning the notes so that might be an app that has what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I had downloaded this one but not really got on with the interface. Maybe I’ll try it again.

1 Like

I did try Justin’s note trainer app a little more - the thing that is challenging is that when the answer is wrong on ‘name a note’ there is no guidance on what the correct answer should be. I’d love to have a way of being able to reinforce the answer without having to count it out with my finger on a print off. Perhaps when it’s more intuitive, this will be less of an issue.

I haven’t used the app before because I don’t have a device that it can work on, but I saw in the description of the app, it says “you can swipe your finger diagonally across the fretboard and all the notes will show for a second” so maybe that would help?

I learned the notes by memorizing the notes in each fret starting with the first 5 frets from string 6 to string 1 (F, A#, D#, G#, C, F). Once I was doing well on the first five frets, I added more frets to learn. Though I’ve seen Justin say that’s one of the most difficult ways to learn them, it was the easiest method for me because I used mnemonics for each fret. I was able to do it without the guitar, when needed. Now, I can say the notes in any row of frets so I’m working on the method in which I find the C notes by finding and playing C on string 6, then string 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Then once C can be done quickly that way, doing the same with G, etc.

Huh - how funny - you’ve given instructions on how to use the app that are not included inside the app! I’d tried different ways of swiping or tapping but not a diagonal swipe.

After some noodling at the weekend I realised that actually starting with playing ‘all the Es’ on the guitar feels like a more tangible way of learning notes. I like the immediate feedback of hearing either the correct answer or the interval of the wrong note. For some reason that seems to hold better, especially seeing the pattern of how all the same type of note sit on the guitar. For now, I’ll work through the position of playing/learning each whole note like this, then come back to the app when it’s a bit more ingrained. This conversation was helpful thank you.

Like you, I’m also finding it helpful to hear the note when I play each one on the guitar because, like you said, it gives confirmation that I got it right. Sometimes, if I don’t go slow enough, I get a note wrong such as accidentally playing a neighboring fret which I immediately recognize the sound as wrong. The note pattern relationship is definitely helpful too. I’ve been learning the notes in the order that I’ve seen Justin suggest (all C’s from string 6 to 1, then all G’s, D’s, A’s, E’s, B’s) and I’ve noticed that learning them in that order helps me with the patterns since each of the notes has a pattern to each other. For example, once I learned where the G’s were, I knew the A’s were two frets ahead so if I have a hard time remembering where a certain “A” note is, instead of thinking about the notes in each fret, I just think about where the G’s are. In time, I’ll be able to play any note quickly without having to think about neighboring notes or all the notes in each fret. So far, I’m already getting better at not having to think about where neighboring notes are. Anyways, I hope your note learning is going great and I hope it will continue to do so!