I need a USB microphone for lessons

Hi all, having browsed the existing topics I can’t see a clear and simple answer to this one. My eyes glaze over when reading technical specs and I have zero interest in learning the intricacies of tech. I just want an OK for Zoom lessons plug and play microphone. Any recommendations?

1 Like

I use this one

It has mic amd DI.
Pretty happy with it.

2 Likes

For a PC?

My recommendation is the Audio Technica ATR2100x-USB.

It’s a USB mic with a built -in headphone socket, but it also can be used as a normal mic as it has an XLR output that can connect to an audio interface if you want to upgrade to something more “professional” in the future.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Or you could just buy a cheap head set with built in mic -easy

I was going to suggest a headset in conjunction with the Nux MP-3 headphone amp, but I believe @KimR is using an acoustic guitar, and I doubt that a headset mic will pick that up very well, as most headset mics are designed to restrict background noise.

I’m assuming here that the lessons are guitar lessons.

For anyone using electric who may be reading this and looking for an option, I would recommend the Nux MP-3 and a headset for online lessons through Zoom, teams, Meet, etc. or even for online open mics.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks for the suggestions. @Majik you are quite correct, it’s actually acoustic classical guitar lessons and my AirPods don’t pick up the guitar sound. I have tried another headset with a boom microphone and that doesn’t work either.

I watched your last passage in OM , your sound was pretty incredible !
This mic must work like magic :smiley:

1 Like

I keep it simple. Guitar → amp → DI. The amp this time was the Spark Mini with a custom acoustic preset.

1 Like

whats amazing is ; the sound was incredibly clear
sometimes the sound on zoom is distorted but not yours
it was awesome !

1 Like

When you go thru the DI - it’s less sound data then from a mic. I turn the mic to zero and leave only the DI when I play. It takes less traffic, so it’s cleaner in Zoom.

1 Like

nice to know it , thanks for the explanation :+1:

1 Like

Anytime :slight_smile:
And thank you

1 Like

I did put the mic on my thomann wishlist :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:shushing_face:
you’ll get me banned from here for advertising… :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

Do you use your spark mini when playing gig ? It’s such an inexpensive amp, you might sell me one too if it meets all the criteria for an advanced player like you.

Thanks for the interesting mic suggestion. Something worth consideration. :+1:

1 Like

These are practice amps, the Spark Mini, in particular, is designed for “bedroom volumes”.

If you want something in the Spark range that is suitable for gigging, then you would probably be looking at the Spark Live.

But I would suggest that, unless you need the other capabilities of the Spark Live, a Katana or similar (Mustang, Catalyst) would be a better option, especially if it’s playing with a band (even the Spark Live would struggle keeping up with a full rock band).

Cheers,

Keith