I Need Some Theory Advice

So, I’m having a bit of trouble on my guitar journey currently. I’m on Module 17 of the beginner course and it’s going great, I’m picking up things very quickly and overall the course has been super fun so far, though I can’t help but feel like some of it is being lost on me. Everything is well as far as being able to play things but a lot of it doesn’t make sense to me in my head. I know the goal is not to think too hard about what you’re playing and let it feel/sound good but sometimes it feels like i’m not fully digesting the information without understanding the theory behind it. I’m on Grade 3 of the Practical Theory course as well but almost feel as though I need more theory knowledge behind what i’m learning for it to really set in all the way.

Would it be a smart move to go ahead and proceed to Grade 4 of the theory course until I feel like I’ve hit my “necessary” level of understanding, or would you guys advise against that in this stage? I’ve pondered on it for a while but I’d like to have a second opinion from someone who knows a bit more about these things than I do before I do anything.

Any replies/advice are appreciated, Thanks!

3 Likes

The practical theory course isn’t directly locked to the guitar lessons. Move ahead in the theory course could help you but moving to far ahead can lead to frustration. There is an earlier thread by someone in grade 1 of the beginner course but up to grade 4 in the theory course and it’s frustrating them emencly.

3 Likes

I am not sure that advancing in the theory course will do a whole lot for your playing at this stage. It may be interesting, so if you are interested and don’t necessarily make it frustrating by expecting yourself to play “by theory” yet, why not?

Theory will make a difference when we have achieve levels of competence beyond beginner. Now it is laying a foundation. I like to see a big picture of that foundation, so have travelled quite a bit farther in the theory than my skills. But I am not practicing the theory. I am listening to it, so as I move forward, a few things will be familiar and I can assess the terrain. I can deep dive as needed in the future when it is more appropriate.

2 Likes

This is a topic that another had only the other day. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be able to understand the theory in behing the music. However, you really should get a really solid foundation on your Grade 1 and the ones you have done for grade 2. Which brings another topic to mind, how long has it been since you first started the course? I started Justins course in september last year(I have 15 years experience off and on) and am only on mod 12. Don’t mive too fast…solid foundatikn is essential. You should really focus on knowing the previous techniques, 8 essential chords, stuck 3 and 4 grips, rhythym and strumming like it’s the back of your hand!! The riffs, if you like em like i do…practice, practice, practice, or practice others you enjoy. Play songs, play song, play songs!!! The basic idea is that you should pretty much stay in par with grade lvls for each. So, if you’re grade 2, really study the Grade 1 and 2 theory. Getting too far ahead in theory will only confuse you. If you are that into it, you should really check out the ear training course. That in itself is touching theory alot.
Rock on! Cheers! SOCIABLE! And peace out! :sunglasses: :v: :fist_left:
Hope this helps a bit. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @kyluhr ,
IMHO, the theory of music, not necessarily “guitar” is a very important root study.
All your learning in any musical instrument must be rooted in the basics of music.
Then, you will really be learning all aspect of music/instrument, as it is a building block of information.
I taught myself how to lay the guitar, and years later, enrolled in a formal guitar study.
My guitar teacher taught me the basics of music, and all the connections of minor, major, chord construction as derived from the fundamentals of music, the scales and all of their connections to other scales, etc. My guitar playing learning and proficiency leaped and increased tremendously because of my full understanding and ability to see the bigger connections of notes, chords, and melody.
Great question.
Rene

2 Likes

If you’re interested in theory, sure, go ahead as you please. However, you should try to balance theory and playing so that your skills won’t get too lopsided.

Are there any specific topics that you feel the first 3 grades of PMT have not explained in sufficient detail?

1 Like

I kinda look at it as 2 seperate things… learning guitar such as chords, scales, ect. and learning Music Theory… which is how those chords and scales are made. For me things have to make sense… I can’t just do something because someone told me to. I need that explanation of why these are the notes in the chord. Some people don’t care why, they just want to play music… which is cool too. For me it’s alot easier to learn something if I know how it works and why it’s the way it is. I’ts one of those things that each person has to decide for themselves… it depends on how you learn something.

Dave

3 Likes

I think I’m currently coming up on a year since I started the beginner course, but most of what I’ve learned from it so far that I’ve practiced for at least 3+ hours a day and drilled almost constantly. It’s been insanely fun though! I can’t help myself from playing for hours after I pick up a guitar and I end up getting lost in it until I get what I’m doing/practicing down perfect, no matter how long it takes.

Things like the 8 essential chord grips and riffs like Greensleeves I’ve practiced until I’m blue in the face haha. Strumming feels awesome and I’ve started being able to catch the feel of songs so easily, it’s just knowing what to play over them that’s the hard part for me to understand. I appreciate this advice a lot! All this feedback is super encouraging!!

This is exactly how I feel/think!!! Everything I learn and play on the guitar feels so weird without knowing WHY I’m doing them. I’ve always kind of been like that in life in general though, so I’m sure it’s only natural it translates over to here.

Not at all, so far everything i’ve learned in every grade has been taught very well and it’s all making perfect sense to me up to the point i’m at, I just can’t help but feel like I need to learn more to continue progressing without stalemating or “plateauing” if that makes sense.

1 Like

I did not expect this many replies on this post! But I appreciate them all a lot; I’ve gotten a ton of helpful advice and food for thought from this thread. I think I’m going to proceed with the Theory course, without going too far ahead of course lol. I’ve sort of been feeling like theory might be the piece of the puzzle missing for me in this whole guitar journey so, again thank you all so much for the amazing advice! This community is awesome!!!

@kyluhr you need to understand theory doesn’t teach how to play music, it explains why things are the way they are. Music theory won’t make you a better player. Focused practice is what makes you a better player.

2 Likes

Well as @stitch has said. Learning theory will not make you a better player. Playing songs over and over again(gets monotonous sonetimes, but i find once i’m into it, it doesn’t mater!), videoing yourself, and self evaluation is a great way to progress further. Push yourself here and there, mix it up to make it more enjoyable, you will progress. Depending on who you are,you some more so, some less so…as long as it’s fun, keep rocking! You shouldn’t plateau if that’s the case. :slight_smile: Once i do, just watch another lesson and suddenly there is more that can take weeks to years to master.

I would suggest introducing yourself in the intruduce yourself category. I would post link…however i have not figured out how to yet. Lol

Also would suggest to post an AVOYP(a video of yoursel playing) after intruducing yourself. This will also stop you from plateauing as the community here is awesome and will give suggestions if requested. Loads of fun! Check it out!
Rock on! Cheers!SOCIABLE! And peace out! :fist_left: :v: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

If you’re pretty confident on what you’ve learnt so far in the theory course, I say go for Grade 4.
Grade 4 is where alot of the rubber started hitting the road for me, as Chord study really starts to bring everything together both theoretically, and practically. Take your time with, and put it on the guitar as much as possible.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Figured out how to post links…i think, let’s find out!
https://community.justinguitar.com/c/community-recordings/avoyp/230

https://www.justinguitar.com/categories/ear-training

https://community.justinguitar.com/c/community-hub/introduce-yourself/263
Oh yeah. That worked!

1 Like

Hi there!

We’re give or take at the same level so all I can do is share my own experience hoping it will help.

I can totally understand the urge to learn more in order to actually realise what you are doing when playing. Personally, the theory course has helped me a lot in this direction.

I’ve currently finished the first part of grade 4 in the theory course and at this point many many things start making sense. Scales, chords and mainly triads become a tool you can actually incorporate into your playing. At the same time, though, you realise how much more you need to learn😅

Speaking from experience, I’m obviously in favour of moving forward with theory PROVIDED that you have truly learned the basics. If there’s one thing that is extremely important with theory is to have very solid foundations. Otherwise, it just gets too much too fast and you can’t really process it so it turns out having the exact opposite result.

All in all, you are the only one who can really tell how confident you are with certain stuff and how eager and readyyou are to learn more.

I wish you a magical musical exploration!

2 Likes

That’s just not true… It may not make you a better player but might make someone else a better player. knowing how a scale is made and being able to take parts of it to make up a solo makes me a better player. Knowing what I’m practicing and why, makes me a better player. Knowing how things work gives me an understanding of why this sounds good but this does not. It really comes down to how a person learns. I can’t learn by just copying someone else. I need to know why it’s the way it is.

Always ask why!!!

Dave

1 Like

I assume Rick meant that music theory alone won’t improve anyone’s playing technique. It sure help you understand the whys and hows, but the physicality of playing an instrument requires practical exercises as well.

2 Likes

You literally just described me with whatever I’m learning. I need to know the WHYS as well as the hows. I’m only 7 and a bit weeks in, so I know very little but it’s the theory, the reasons why I should be playing this chord this way or on that fret way up the fretboard. Not just the strumming, notes, chords etc but the ‘scales’ etc, which to me are on a fish.
One day….:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I think knowing theory can help. Maybe not for the muscle memory required for executing techniques, but knowing theory should greatly help picking notes and patterns for improvisation. I think it also makes it easier to learn songs. Knowing theory helps you to figure out where a song is going to go before it goes there.

1 Like