I really hate Winter

I live in the UK (for now), so Winters are generally a dark, cold, wet, miserable affair at the best of times. This is especially true when you have outdoor hobbies like hiking, airsoft, and motorbikes. But this Winter is even worse as it’s affecting my indoor hobbies too.

With the “cost of living crisis” as it is, we literally can’t afford to heat our own home. It’s kind of hard to draw, paint or play guitar while bundled up in layers of clothing and sitting under a fleece blanket. Even if I could get a guitar in a comfortable position, removing my gloves leaves my hands too cold to play anything. :cold_face:

So yeah, I hate Winter… almost as much as I hate crappy “new build” homes built by untrained monkeys that have cardboard walls, sod-all insulation, and gaps in every window and door frame that you can practically see through. :poop:

5 Likes

Never to cold to Rock and Roll in Canada. You just cut the fingers out of your gloves and put on long underwear like Randy Bachman.

8 Likes

:confused: UK seems all kinds of messed up.

Cant say I miss the old place.

2 Likes

Which is a nightmare as you really need to heat up the home to keep the mould away and damage to the property

2 Likes

Guys, sliding into political realms here, be careful. Fully understand what you are saying though. Why do think I’m where I am. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Yeah, winter really sucks:

:grin:

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: A helpful contribution Mr M.

Well, I’ll be back home in the UK next week, so I will be freezing my butt off. And I still have to pay heating bills there too. So I feel the pain. At least I can afford it, where many cannot.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I live in the Alps… -15 °C this morning. Was out walking the dog earlier this day, no comment…
But we are used to it.

2 Likes

Now that is rock and roll! :smiley:

1 Like

I lived in the opposite of the Alps,…the lowlands :upside_down_face:…unfortunately…but -8.5 here this morning,…and when I opened the door for the cat to go for a walk in our garden she looked at me as if I was totally crazy, literally 1 leg out and back in quickly…she is now nice and cozy on the couch :smiling_face: and I am nice and warm behind the computer with a guitar around my neck,looking outside how everything has turned beautifully white from the frost,… the birds in the garden near the feeders…

it would be much less fun of course if the gas bill was a problem,and that absolutely hurts my heart when I read and hear those stories on the news, :cry:… good luck with this cold weather and hopefully spring will come early this year,…

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Ross, I feel very sorry about that. Hope, winter isn’t going to be too cold this year and that things turn a little more comfortable for you and your family soon. Stay safe!

2 Likes

Same here. To cut some bit of the energy bill, i don’t turn on the electrical stove in my cave. And it’s starting to feel like one too.
So i have all my guitars packed in their cases and take up residence in the living room, whenever i need/ want tot practice.

I too, generally hate winter.

1 Like

Thanks Toby …

Cold weather and complaints or stoicism or joy yes, other stuff, no. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Ross, that sucks. I moved away from freezing cold winters in the mid-west of the US to Australia to get away from the cold. Can’t say I miss it at all. Riding motorbikes year round is just one of the benefits of Australia. Hang in there.

1 Like

That’s an easy one - the sunny weather and great wine? :slight_smile:

… but, on topic, yeah it’s really cold here in Denmark as well. Office temperature has been mandated to be just 19 degrees, which doesn’t sound too bad… but sitting at a computer, after a while the cold gets into your bones and it’s hard to type efficiently with cold fingers.

At home I have my guitars and playing/recording setup in the basement, and the first attempts of my recent video failed horribly due to cold and super stiff fingers. Luckily, after an hour or so, the PC and cranked 50W tube guitar head warmed things up a bit :wink:

For sure but not quite now ! Clear skies but sub zero temps for last 10 days overnight and around 1-2 C max in the day and I hate cold red !! The other climate is much better though :wink:

And I relate to your cold fingers. My “music room” sits next to the garage and is pretty much a concrete bloc with a huge window, so gets chilly despite one radiator (turned right down due to the guitar rack!). Old stone houses look cool in the country side but those thick wall suck in the cold like no ones business.

And there’s your answer everyone, pump up the volume, push that amp and get nice an toasty. :metal:

1 Like

That’s what cracks me up actually here over the UK. News outlets shouting about potential power outages, about saving energy and in the meantime almost all our buildings on site (and I am talking here about site with over 60 buildings if not more) that has all heating fully cranked up to I believe 23 degrees. Not that I complain about staying in warm but just some things does not make much sense around here…

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: love it and cold weather and snow in winter, who’d a thought :exploding_head:
But don’t go down that :rabbit2: :hole:

2 Likes

The humidity in my house where I keep my guitars is sitting around 23% at the moment. Just got a humidity pack for my latest guitar and case. I had never given any thought to humidity before, but was advised when I bought it that it is a necessity. I really do believe it is now.