I think I've finally conquered my GAS

The key to learning to live with G.A.S. is to spread your purchasing habits over the whole range of guitar-related accessories. Amplifiers and pedals are an excellent place to begin ā€œnot buying more guitarsā€ and Iā€™ve personally resisted the urge to not buy another guitar many dozens of times since the onset of my affliction.

However, if you find that the selection of ā€œnot another guitarā€ options is a little uninspiring then perhaps guitar-adjacent items such as synthesizers or keyboard/midi controllers are in order. In a pinch, even small impulse items can be very satisfying and can lead to extended periods of G.A.S. remission, my harmonica collection is a prime example of this form of G.A.S. therapy.

By following these simple guidelines Iā€™ve been able to limit my guitar relapses in 2022 to a mere three flair-ups.

P.S. If you happen to notice me posting about a new guitar in the very near future, say tomorrow if the UPS tracking is accurate, just know that it counts as guitar-adjacent as it doesnā€™t contain any wood so that means it doesnā€™t actually count as a guitar. No, really, itā€™s not another guitar!

I donā€™t have a G.A.S. problem at all, itā€™s completely under control! :crazy_face: :guitar:

1 Like

I have very little trouble resisting GAS. Every time I see a guitar that tempts me at the guitar shop when Iā€™m there buying strings or something, I just remember how bad I am (and no, I donā€™t tell myself that a different guitar is the answer to my mediocrity) and that kills the urge.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ā€œJust one more pedalā€

1 Like

If you initially started looking for a new guitar last year, but didnt actually place the order until this year, does that still count as last yearā€™s GAS?

1 Like

@mc
ā€¦ and if you promised not to buy one next yearā€¦

1 Like

Hey Mark, I do understand what you say. When I first tried to learn the guitar many years ago, I bought extra guitars thinking my guitar was the problem when in fact my slack commitment to regular practice was the real problem.

So I can easily avoid GAS mostly now because Iā€™ve learned that putting the hours into practice and playing is what makes the biggest difference.

2 Likes

Kind of like Methadone :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Iā€™m thinking about getting that as a tattoo.

Methatone. :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™m going for megatone! Remember the world needs more Toneā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m Limiting myself to just 1 guitar a year, on average.

Now all I have to do is live till 188 years old and Iā€™m good.

3 Likes

Oh, the shame. . .
:upside_down_face:
https://community.justinguitar.com/t/ngd-travel-guitar/166077/45