I’ve finally gone and done it - gone to 4 strings!

4 strings and a long neck plus a big monster Amp!

It’s loud and it’s fun! Talk about blow the windows out, more like rattle them out :laughing: You can really feel those lower notes!

25 Likes

Hi Darrell,

that’s a beauty of a bass guitar! :star_struck: Awesome! :slight_smile: Wish you lots of fun with it - hope you have a good glass insurance, though. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi Darrell,
H4SD :sunglasses: :partying_face: :boom: the :house: down …
I wish you a lot of fun with it :sunglasses:
Greetings…

1 Like

Looks great, congratulations

1 Like

Nice looking Cort Darrell and with that amp check the double glazing insurance !
Enjoy. Happy NBnAD.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

I saw the title and immediately thought, "he’s gone to a ukelele!

That is a very nice looking, very large ukelele! :rofl:

3 Likes

A very beautiful “special needs”-guitar, you have there @DarrellW :grinning: :nerd_face: :grinning:

Have lots of fun with it :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Happy NBD!
Crank up that amp, I need to feel the vibrations down here in the south east :metal::wink:

1 Like

You really MUST give us a bit of a demo, , visually of course, :slight_smile:

SOOOOON… !

:metal:

R.

1 Like

Have fun slapping.

3 Likes

It looks so cool Darrell…have fun in exploring your new instrument! :blush:

1 Like

Nice looking bass and amp you got there, Darrell.
Those frets look real stretchy, I’m guessing it takes some getting used to!
Know what you mean about the windows. My Dad had a Hammond organ and when he played the bass pedals, the windows joined in with the accompaniment ! Wow, did they rattle!!

1 Like

Happy NGD Darrell,

Great looking Guitar

Have fun with it.
The neighbors must love you​:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Yes, and no.

Bass guitar technique is different to standard guitar. Whilst there are cases where stretches are needed, most of the time you don’t need to.

Unlike on the guitar where a one-finger-per-fret technique is often advocated, this is not generally considered proper technique for bass. instead, the bassist is encouraged to move their hand around a lot more.

Bear in mind, also, that bass guitars are (generally) not a chordal instrument: single note lines and the occasional power chord is much more common than doing “stretchy” chords.

Yes, it takes some getting used to, but not (I believe) for the reason you think.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

Hi Darrell, what a beautiful instrument you’ve got yourself :star_struck:. I wish you lots of fun with it :smiley:!

1 Like

@Majik
Yer well…looks easy enough! :flushed:
I suppose I was relating playing bass to a normal guitar.

I had a go playing a bass once. It was many years ago during my first incarnation as a wannabe guitarist.
We had a little group session going and one of the guys said he played, or had played, bass in a band but he joined the session because he was learning guitar. One night he brought his bass and said I could plug it into my amp and have a go. We were playing an Irish dance jig sort of tune in the key of C So I played bass notes from the C Major scale on the beat starting on the 8th fret. I kept the volume low so as not to upset anyone. It was good, I enjoyed it.
When we had finished, the group leader said “good bass playing”! I asked them if they could hear it ok with the volume so low. One girl exclaimed -

“Hear it?! We could FEEL it” !!

4 Likes

Yes, it’s a common view, hence the videos I linked which take pains to explain why you shouldn’t really do it that way.

Good stuff.

If you are playing scale tones that high up the neck then one-figer-per-fret guitar-style will work fine.

You weren’t far of the mark in terms of note choice: most bass players tend to use chord tones a lot, so root, 3rd, 5th and 7th.

Just like with guitar there are common shapes for these but these shapes are often a bit “flatter” and “wider” than arpeggio shapes on guitar as you don’t have as many strings with which to hit all of the notes, especially when your root is on the A string.

Together with the bigger distance between frets and the fact that most bass players are playing single note lines most of the time it’s more sensible to shift the hand around rather than try to stretch. It also lends itself to moving across the fret-board to other octaves, to create more interest.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

Looks really nice Darrell @DarrellW!
What does the 5th knob do??:joy:

1 Like

Speaking of Bass… we used to have a bass player here who took us on his adventures with his band and certainly made itself heard when purchasing someone’s bass guitar :smile:
@Endureth . how are you? and how do you feel that another guitar player has moved closer to the darkside :sunglasses:…hope you are doing well.
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

By the way, I used to have a guitar teacher who was an amazing guitar player, great guitar teacher and pretty tasty on the bass too, but guitar was his first instrument and the one he had a fair bit of formal training on.

When I told him I had picked up a bass, he tried to give me a bass lesson. I declined after he said “basically it’s the same as guitar” and proceeded to demonstrate using 3nps scales and a pick. Basically he was trying to teach bass as if it was a guitar.

That technique worked for him as he was nearly 2 metres tall and had a hand span that could fret across 5 or 6 frets of a full-sized bass guitar from the 1st fret, but it was inappropriate for just about everyone else, and poor technique to teach. Luckily I knew this, so I declined and ended up using SBL and others.

By the way, there’s nowt wrong with using a pick, but finger style is more conventional technique for most genres, and it’s best to learn both, as you get a different tone and attack using fingers compared to a pick.

I do miss the bass, and I’m seriously considering getting one over here in SG.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like