I wanna be sedated - The Ramones plus Still Got The Blues (solo 1)

Apart from that solo in the middle :smile: , this is a straightforward song and as good as it gets with two fingers and three chords. One of my go-to songs when I want to cheer up or don’t feel like practicing.

I spent some time trying to get the volume level of the guitar and backing track correctly, but still not sure if it is right. Is there a scientific way (tool or formula) how to do this or is it always just by ear?

Thank you for listening, any comments are appreciated.

Edit: The second video is something I started slowly a year ago, but only recently have been able to play through at this level. :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Great job Boris! You look completely relaxed and sounded really good.

1 Like

That new Les Paul sounding very nice. Well played.

2 Likes

the title scared me :open_mouth:

1 Like

Man, that was a fun listen Boris.
Real good playing!

That looks a lot like your new guitar?
Sounds great man! Let alone it just looks too cool!

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Boris

Well played. Great strumming, bang on timing. Really confident performance. Enjoyed it.

Brian

1 Like

That was brilliant, Boris. Got to love a little punk energy and attitude every now and then.

Your tone and rhythm was rock solid and I thought your mix levels were just fine.

As to the question, I’d say no rules, you just have to listen. Generally I suggest aiming for the guitar being a little louder in the mix than it might be if you were mixing the song for a general audience so we canj hear the guitar clearly. In this case the guitar bass and drums sat well together and the vocals being a little low was not an issue.

Well done!

1 Like

That was a fun punk listen Boris. And you didn’t look at your chord chart once! :smiley:

1 Like

@Jwaters, @mathsjunky, @MacOneill, @HappyCat, @beejay56, @sairfingers

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

@DavidP
That you David, that is very useful!
I added the second video here as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great, Boris!
It’s a very cheerful and energetic punk :+1:
Everything was played flawlessly.
Like David, I also don’t know the magic formula for balancing track and minus. Everything is doing by ear usually, and you are doing well.
In the second video, you chose a difficult solo for covering. But everything was played well enough, except, perhaps, the moment at 0:26, where the bend was slightly overdone. But! This only emphasizes the naturalness of your live recording - as a knot on a wooden surface speaks of its naturalness :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks for sharing,
Leo

1 Like

Nicely played on a super new axe. Aced it :sunglasses:
(although when I want to cheer up, sedation is the last thing on my mind :laughing:)

… is everything louder than everything else :rofl:

I’m a bit puzzled about the levels on the backing track. Drums and bass seemed too prominent. Vocals too quiet and guitar was easy enough to hear.
Was it a single backing track or did you have each of the instruments?
all in all good job
Second video- clearly a ton of work went into it. Still some timing issues as well as some of the bends slightly off target, but it sounds like most of the heavy lifting has been done. Congrats :smiley:

1 Like

Very nice playing Boris!

Love the tone on Still Got the Blues. Could do a few small tweaks to the bends as Brian said, plus a bit stronger vibrato - Gary Moore used quite wide vibrato… although I know first finger vibrato is quite tricky!

1 Like

Well played Boris. I thought the volume levels were well balanced, and you looked relaxed throughout. Way beyond my level to offer any more critique, but I look forward to hearing more. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@crocodile1

Hi Leo. Thank you very much for the feedback, I appreciate it!

That half-step bend was supposed to be the easiest. :slight_smile: My difficulty with that part is that you need to remove your index finger (which is helping to mute the strings) to play G note on high E and then upon releasing the bend without the index, I usually make the unwanted string sound. This is audible (slight string sound) even in this video exactly at that moment. I focused on not making that mistake and then missed the bend. :slightly_smiling_face: Anyway, I think it will be a long time before I can flawlessly execute this each time.

@brianlarsen

Very weird song indeed to cheer up. :slight_smile:

It was a single backtrack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErqLcnF3O4E) and after your and David’s comments, I think the issue is that vocals are indeed subdued in that backing track. I understand now what was bugging me. :smiley:

Thank you so much for commenting, Brian.

@twistor59

Thank you very much Phil.

You are right, I find index vibrato, especially on high E, way more difficult than fingers 2 and 3.
Wider and slower vibratos are definitely something I need to practice.
I also want to add those small vibratos at the top of bends that Gary does - seriously difficult for now.

@Tim_Wilson
Thank you very much Tim, I appreciate it.

Hi Boris ,
It took me a while to realize what was wrong with that guitar, it turns out that it’s not in my room. :roll_eyes:… hearing it playing like that is beautiful… and I was waiting for a smashing solo, I had to laughed out loud when it came… :laughing:
Liked the playings very much :sunglasses: :clap:
Greetings,

1 Like

Wow Boris…both recordings are awesome! Everything to like, from the the high energy consistent srumming to the guitar tone through the relaxed and being with the music attitude throughout the video. :+1::raised_hands::+1::blush:

1 Like

@roger_holland , @SILVIA

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

This might be Ramones unique way to make fun of bands that make solos. :rofl:

1 Like

I just caught on about the second video.
Very Good!

I love the tones your getting out of your new guitar.
Smoooth and sweeeet!
Great playing Boris!

1 Like

Hey, Boris, first - Nice guitar and sound!
Sedated - great power chord workout, and nice “E” solo.
You really got me with the blues solo 1. Some really fine tone and playing. I hope you finish that one up and post!

1 Like

@HappyCat, @oldhead49

Jim, Dave, thank you very much for your comments. :slight_smile: