I Want it That Way - Backstreet Boys

Alright, second song I’ve recorded. Does anyone have suggestions on how to listen to a metronome/click track while playing? I had one ear listening to a metronome in this, until the headphones fell off.

(Also I’ll try to get a better angle on the camera next time so you can see the guitar.)

21 Likes

This is really good, I love it. It’s great to see a song like that stripped down to just the guitar. On the radio I would pass on it because of the pop shine, but here with just an acoustic it’s pretty decent. I like the song and you performed it well.

My wife’s iphone has an app that vibrates a metronome right into the wrist.

Having a metronome playing in the room just enough for you to hear it but not so obvious to the camera works too. Musicians should not be ashamed of metronomes. If your timing is good enough, you can make the metronome disappear and that’s the ultimate goal of using it.

Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

That was really impressing Aswhin!!!

It was a pleassure to listen to. Both your playing and vocals.

In fact this is way better than the original song, if The
backstreet boys ever see this they will be ashamed
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for shearing this it was really good :+1:
Looking forward to more from you.

2 Likes

Bravo Ashwin! :clap: :clap:

That was just superb. A great cover of a great song. Your playing and singing was spot on. Even losing your metronome didn’t make you lose rhythm.

Do you tap your foot as you play? If not you could try that, then at least you’re not relying on something to provide your beat. Get your initial beat from the nome and then away you go.

2 Likes

Hi Ash that was great really nice playing and singing! In terms of metronome you want to develop your own inner metronome so at the moment you can either still use headphones or an app on your phone if you don’t mind it bleeding to your recording. All the best

2 Likes

That was terrific Ashwin. Great mix of fingerstyle and strumming which gave the song a fantastic dynamic. You’ve got an excellent voice. You could be in a boy band!
Well done.

2 Likes

Bravo!
Great performance. Brilliant sound.
You covered all the bases bar the coordinated dance steps.
Take a bow :sunglasses:

1 Like

That was really, really nice, Ashwin. Not a song I’d usually listen to, and now you’ve got me wanting to learn it. Your vocals are great as well.

Re listening to a metronome while playing, 1 ear bud seems like a good idea (unless it falls out!). That doesn’t leave any room to breathe with intentional slow downs, though. One thing I do sometimes is put a metronome on my iPhone (Justin’s Time Trainer) and turn the volume down. I can then see the pulse of the beat, but still be able to intentionally vary the timing when I want.

1 Like

Really good Ashwin, enjoyed that a lot and as others have said way better than the original!!!
Hope to hear more of your stuff in future.

1 Like

Wow, really good. You’ve got an amazing voice and you made that song awesome. If that’s only the second song you’ve recorded… you should record more! A real talent to be able to sing like that and play well at the same time.

Can’t emphasize that enough.

Oh, was pretty funny when your headphones fell off but you went right on with it and didn’t let it ruin your recording.

Metronome - you could try one in the room, and a directional mic. Or perhaps similar to what you’re doing now, but with one airpod?

1 Like

Great follow up to Blackbird, Ashwin. Tip top performance both playing and singing.

Do you have a background in singing, with training etc?

1 Like

Hi Ashwin,
This is again a very nice one :sunglasses: :bouquet: … so now I’m also looking for the chords of this song (I never expected that)…
Greetings

1 Like

Brilliant, loved it :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This is really solid! Singing and vocals are spot on. I had this playing in the background while doing stuff and it sounded professionally recorded.

1 Like

Thanks - from what everyone’s suggesting, I’m going to try the one-airpod method next. I like the idea of just feeling the tempo, but I know I personally tend to slow down without a metronome.

1 Like

I did a year in an acapella group in college, and that really helped.

1 Like

Thanks! Big fan of the songs you post!

So very good Ashwin. Expressive playing and a vocal that’s easy to listen to many times over.

That was really nice.

1 Like

That was really lovely Ashwin. Great guitar playing and you have a lovely voice.

1 Like