I'd Rather Go Blind by Etta James Lesson

Learn to play I'd Rather Go Blind by Etta James on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at I'd Rather Go Blind by Etta James | JustinGuitar

1 Like

One of the loveliest songs of all time, imho. I’m going to try all the capo placements and, perhaps, work on the melody. Thanks Justin,

Hmm. I love this tune (first time hearing it), I think you could sing Tennessee Whiskey to it as well, which is also lovely.

I haven’t got a capo yet, so I was just leaning the G chord as it is listed in the app, but on reading the description (and watching the video) the Am & G version still wants a capo on the second fret. It did still sound nice on the open anyway, but the description lists the actual chords with the capo on the seventh fret as A and Bm. I went to the chord library and the only B chord is B7something, and none of the chords in the A section are labelled as A#, which I assumed would be the answer…

I’m gonna practice using Am and G in open but does anyone knowledgeable have an ELI5 as to why there’s no Bm chord or A# chord? Or what those are actually called for guitar? Or is it just an ‘only with a capo’ chord. Just curious is all.

OK …
Justin is using the E minor and D shape chords but moved up the fret by using a capo

Capo is in the 7th fret so the root note of the E minor is a B, so the chord is a B minor.

The D shape chord root note is on the D string 7th fret so that would be a A, so the chord is an A

So as Justin is playing it its Bm and A

But you could play those 2 chord shapes anywhere on the neck either open chords with no capo or anywhere according to how you want to play and what fits with the singer.

Now the A# chord isnt an A note, its an A Sharp note, otherwise known as a Bb note

A-> A#/Bb ->B

So to use an A#/Bb you would move the capo up to the 8th fret and be playing C minor (root of th E shape, 8th fret E string) and the A#

I might have to re-read this when I’ve learned more… thank you for taking the time to explain all that, though.

1 Like