If You Could Read My Mind, Gordon Lightfoot

I was watching the film, Christine, the other day. Not the horror film, but the one with Rebecca Hall as the news reporter, Christine Chubbuck, who committed suicide on air in the seventies. Great film, by the way. Amongst the songs featured in the soundtrack was this one. I didn’t know it that well but thought I’d like to have a go. I’m afraid I have to keep looking down at the lyrics lol. I see I’m not the first to have posted it and other versions on this forum sound a lot more authentic than mine. But, anyway, this is my attempt.

20 Likes

Lovely performance Claudia :slight_smile:, very smooth fingerpicking.

1 Like

Very nice thanks great finger picking and singing :+1:
A

1 Like

Lovely :slightly_smiling_face: very fluid playing and singing. Nicely done!

1 Like

So good. I appreciate your fingerstyle skills. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hello Claudia, oh what a lovely rendition :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

It was quite interesting to hear this song with a female voice. It suited really well - and your voice is beautiful :blush:.

But the thing that astonished me most, is that it took you only ONE day to bring this song to performance level :astonished::+1::clap::star_struck:. I’m a bit envy now :face_with_peeking_eye::grin:.

Very well done, and thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.

2 Likes

Very enjoyable, Claudia. I love watching you play finger style. You’re really good at it. And I love this song. A classic!

1 Like

This is a wonderful rendition, and the fact that you learned it so quickly is impressive. :clap:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback. Just to clarify, I don’t know how I gave the impression that I figured this out in one day, @NicoleKKB and @TheCluelessLuthier. I didin’t. It took me several days to get the fingerstyle pattern lodged into my brain so that it became almost second nature. Otherwise, I would never have been able to sing along. I have one default fingerstyle (don’t know what the pattern is called) and any variations I really have to drum in. So, yea, it took a while :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry, I think I made a translation mistake. When you wrote, you saw the film ‘the other day’, I thought you meant ‘yesterday’ :grin:.

But it’s still impressive that you figured it out within some days :blush:.

Really well played and sung Claudia. It’s a lovely song and I enjoyed the female vocal. It makes it sound quite different from the original.
Well done.

1 Like

Very well done, Claudia! :clap: :+1:

It’s still impressive you managed to get this under your fingers in such a short time, especially considering you had to learn a new fingerstyle pattern for it. :smiley:

I enjoyed you rendition, very pleasant singing and playing and as mentioned by others: It was nice to hear it from a female voice, this piece truely suits yours. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Wonderful as always Claudia. Your playing and singing always make me smile.

The film sounds interesting, so I’ll check that one out.

1 Like

Love your gentle, sweet voice and playing.

Did you say “forest” strong? Or is that just the way my Canadian ears heard you sing “fortress” strong?

1 Like

Haha, you’re right, I said forest :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Oops. Obviously wasn’t concentrating properly on the lyrics. Busted :rofl:

1 Like

It was cute. And I loved your version of one of my all time favourite songs.

Bravo!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Very good. Thank you for posting this.

Bravo Claudia!
Very nice, smooth & lovely sounding fingerstyle! Vocals were impressive as well! Nothing to critique as far as I’m concerned… just kudos for an engaging performance!
Thanks you for sharing!

Tod

1 Like

Wow! Really touching performance. Thanks.

1 Like