If you had a time machine what concert would you want to go back for

Saw this question by Steven Wilson on X. He picked the Syd Barrett Floyd from '69 at the Roundhouse and King Crimson at the Marquee in '69.

So what concert would you want to back in time for and experience first hand.

If I had a choice it would be the Syd Barrett Floyd from '69 as well, but also some on the '71/'72 shows by Genesis.

2 Likes

Destination Docklands, again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember taping that off the radio at the time. Still have the tapes some where in the attic.

1 Like

Toss up between Woodstock and Beatles at the Cavern.

3 Likes

Isle of Wight Festival 1970. My brother went but I was age barred ! :angry:

Jimi Hendrix, Rory Gallagher, Cactus, Chicago, the Doors, Lighthouse, the Moody Blues, the Who, Miles Davis, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Jethro Tull, Sly and the Family Stone, Ten Years After, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Free to name but a few.

9 Likes

Great topic! I have 3 choices:

1. For the musical lineup: Monterrey Pop Festival 1967
  2. For the historical significance: Newport Folk Festival 1965
  3. For the sentimental value: Joan Baez, Forest Hills NY, 1963 – my parents attended this concert when the famous Joan invited her much-less-famous friend Bob Dylan on stage to sing a couple of numbers with her. My Dad became a Dylan fan that day and so did I not long after.
3 Likes

Interesting topic :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh yes, there are many.
The first one I’m thinking of surely is Queen’s Live Aid performance at Wembley in 1985 :notes: :guitar: :crown:

2 Likes

Maybe he meant '67?

For me, it would be something from here in Budapest, e.g. Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Roger Waters or Black Sabbath when they played here for the last time.

Other than that, I think’d enjoy seeing 1970s Grateful Dead or Miles Davis.

I would go with the 1976 Trick of The Tail tour.

But, if I could see one concert, I think it would be Led Zeppelin Knebworth, 1979. I heard a lot of this from my back garden at time but didn’t appreciate it as I was only 13.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

Hi all.
AC/DC at River Plate.
Rock on , :guitar:
Mike

2 Likes

The Heavy Metal Barndance, 1980 at Bingley Hall in Staffordshire … pure NWOBHM.

And Motörhead … always Motörhead …

2 Likes

My Mum went to see the Beatles at The Cavern as a young girl … handed her coat to Cilla Black who worked there … What a memory, eh?

5 Likes

woodstock

1 Like

That would be the '76 Trick tour with Bruford on the drums before Chester Thompson took over in '77.

2 Likes

Have to be Live Aid at Wembley in 1985 or Woodstock in 1969…
Can we go to more than one??? :laughing:

The best concert I ever attended was in the early 70s here in Albuquerque & I almost didn’t go…
A co-worker won 2 tickets from a radio station, she wanted someone to go with her but had no takers because nobody had ever heard of either band, it was Friday night & we all had plans. Long story short, I reluctantly agreed to go with her & ended up seeing AC/DC opening for Journey at this tiny venue!!! We left our seats & while we were standing right against the stage, Angus did an amazing solo while crowd surfing!!! My date & I ended up pushing him back up on stage & he blew her a kiss!!! :kissing_heart:
It was EPIC!!! My best concert memory!!!

Tod

2 Likes

It really doesn’t get better than that does it? I never saw the original Cavern, by the time I got there they’d moved it :frowning:

1 Like

This - I was there!

4 Likes

Led Zeppelin, Knebworth 1979, but this time I’d stay sober so I could remember more of it!

3 Likes

Yep, sorry, typo on the date

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East.

2 Likes