I'm trying to learn 'Dusty Wind' from Vintage Club #15. I can't stretch my pinky for Asus4. Can anyone help?

Thanks for this. I have suddenly found an interest in fingerstyle, which started with this lesson https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/4-4-fingerstyle-patterns-bg-1904 but also your VC7, 10 and this one.

I have got as far as the intro to Dusty Wind (not one I’ve heard of until now) but have major trouble with Asus4, in that I can’t get my pinky anywhere close to fret 3. In fact it’s just in front of fret 2. I can get it closer to fret 3 but that takes me time to have to think about it!! I guess that I could use fingers 1, 2 and 3 for this.

1 Like

Stuart have you tried the 6 fret Finger Stretch Exercise, Justin introduces some where in the earliest Beginnner grades,

Across 6 frets, fret Index Space Middle Ring Space Pinkie. Start on the high e string at the 7th fret to begin with Index and put Middle and Ring on frets 9 & 10 and stretch the pinkie to fret 12 keeping all the others in position. Repeat on B G D A E A D G B e. This will really open up the stretch between the ring and pinkie, which is normally the problem area.

Do this sllllooooowwwwwlllllllyyyyyyyy and focus on the stretch and repeat it a few times in one session. When it becomes comfortable, start the process again on the 6th fret. Wash rinse repeat working up to the nut, it gets harder as the frets widen. I do this daily and still struggle to get lower than fret 4 as a starting point but it will open up your overall span and make chords like Asus4 easier,

You may actually find it difficult starting at fret 7. No worries try fret 8 or even 9 to get you going but remember this is about the stretch and opening the fingers up, so keep it slow.

It could take quite some time to see the benefit but who said this lark was easy !

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I occasionally do this but not as a regular part of any practice, as have never really used that chord. Looks like I better start including it!! This is the best I can do at the moment.

2 Likes

@Stuartw
Responding to the photo …

You’re playing the Asus4 and still have your index finger fretting the same string from for the Am chord. Try to break this habit. When the Asus4 chord comes along, lift up index finger. This is going to give your hand and fretting fingers more freedom to move and make the micro adjustments necessary to stretch out. I would recommend rotating your wrist and hand a little towards you so that fingers 2 & 3 stand a little more upright. You will hopefully feel that finger 4 now has the option to reach out and has a little more room to push away from fingers 2 & 3.

It does look like that doesn’t it but do think that there is a small gap. Thinking about this does it matter if my index is fretting at that point because the sound will come from the pinky on fret 4. I note your comment about “more freedom to move and make the micro adjustments necessary to stretch out.”

I tried that but it didn’t make much difference as my pinky is ‘glued’ to my ring finger!! My pinky has always turned in to my ring finger when doing any chord and is just how my hands are. I’ll try more of the exercise suggested by @TheMadman_tobyjenner to see if it will help.

2 Likes

Yes it matters. Not musically. You’re correct in stating that the note you hear comes from fret 3 not fret 1.
but it matters because your hand movement and flexibility is being restricted unnecessarily by holding index finger down on a redundant note. Lifting it frees hand movement for an easier stretch.

Picture of my fingers on frets 7, 8, 9 and 11. My pinky is flat as that is all I can manage. Is it supposed to be vertical similar to the others?

1 Like

Hi @Stuartw , I picked up my guitar to compare to your photo. I find that to go from Am to Asus4, I need to put my thumb right behind the neck. This has the effect of making my fingers more curled and more perpendicular to the fretboard This frees up my pinky quite a bit and allows me to fret cleanly at fret 3.

With thumb over the top (like your photo):

With thumb behind the neck:

I think this is what @Richard_close2u was also suggesting.

2 Likes

Oh how I wish I could do this like that. Even with my thumb behind the neck (which is not natural for me due to issues with my hands) this is the best I can get. Looks similar to the previous one!

1 Like

Try positioning the thumb opposite Index and middle, rather than thumb and index. That will reduce tension and allow the pinkie a little more movement. Don’t worry if you cannot get it right up to the fret, as long as the note is clear/clean.

2 Likes

Thanks. That works better but is going to be a bit of a faff going from thumb over (my normal position) to thumb behind. I try some OMC’s for this.

1 Like

I suppose ideally the pinky would be more curved. When I do this exercise my pinky is flat like yours. The main point is to get that pinky separated from the ring finger.

You might try planting the pinky first and then stretching the other two fingers to their places

2 Likes

I have pretty similar issues lyike @Stuartw has and wrote already about it further up in this thread. I’m also having a hard time to reach as far as needed with my pinky. My fingers 3 and 4 aren’t glued together, I can separate them, but my little finger is quite curved and that’s my biggest problem, as the fingertip rotates inwards.

like Toby mentions is one thing that helps to reduce tension and “opens” the hand.

I just tried this, and indeed, the more I curl my fingers 2+3, the more I can stretch my 4th finger. Still need a lot of “force” to spread the finger, but at least it helps a bit. Thanks, John!

Doesn’t help in my case, unfortunately the 4th finger slides back as soon as I try to place 2+3. But was worth a try and might help others.

2 Likes

Good to know. Thought I was doing it wrong!

1 Like