Imagine - John Lennon - sairfingers

@sairfingers Gordon, I really can’t imagine there is no heaven, and don’t even want to think about it that way.
But thanks for this song. A nice job taking on “the boys” .
I enjoyed the performance a lot.
I agree with you that some of these one-takes can lack a little luster that might otherwise be there, but you seem to pull them off well.
I think you’ve been hanging out with Brian too much and the balladism is catching. I request something a little more up tempo sometime just for fun. Well done here, as usual.

1 Like

@SS7 @oldhead49
Thanks so much for the listen and support guys, it means a lot.

Ivan. I’ll have a go at your suggestion of plucking the chords along with lazy hammer ons. I hadn’t thought of that approach. I’d like to see your video that you mentioned. Don’t worry about thread hi-jacks with me!

Dave. Yes I do seem to travel on the ballad side of the road. I’ll need think of something more up tempo in the future!
I find it difficult to get a full lustre performance as you put it. For the one takes, at the back of my mind I’m thinking if I go at it too enthusiastically I’ll make a huge mistake that can’t be covered up and that’s the end of the one take.
For songs where I have more than one go I suppose at the back of my mind I’m thinking this won’t be the one I’ll keep.

I don’t like Sunshine on Leith but Caledonia might have some potential.

Edit. @TheMadman_tobyjenner No not the Robin Trower song Toby. More Paolo Nutini or Dougie MacLean.

1 Like

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Man, that was FANTASTIC Gordon. It was so good that I found myself singing along with it. Such a great song and, man is it ever needed in today’s world.

1 Like

Hey Gordon,

I enjoyed this. As I always say, I love your performances. I see you taking on challenges and excelling each time. Very inspiring.

1 Like

I’ll record it for you again in a little bit and send you a PM Gordon. It’s your thread so there should definitely only be video of you playing!

1 Like

Imagine no progression
It isn’t hard to do
No C or G or F chord
No quick-change chording too
Imagine Gordon’s fingers
Living life pain free …

Gordon
A fine effort.
There’s some tidying up and fine tuning that, with oncentrated work and tight focus, will allow you to play it at another level.

Get the riff spot on perfect. Forget playing the song just play the riff. Slowly, correctly one hundred times or more. It is such a vital and recognisable part of this song you want it true every time.
Notice that your strumming arm stops for the riff also- remember the pendulum.

You bring a good dynamic and change up by playing the barre chordvF andvG.
You drop in the quick C to Cmaj7 to E to E7 pretty well.

Good stuff.

As to the first three seconds.
It’s not the cough that carries you off it’s the coffin they carry you off in.
:grin:

4 Likes

Oh ye of short memories…
Not that long ago you were singing songs of praise for my jam-kickin’ Sisters of Mercy mashup Strange Love
@sairfingers- We know where it’s at :wink:
at our level of skill (and time left) the most juice we’ll be able to squeeze out these lemons is strumming the acoustic and hollerin’ at anyone willing to listen :laughing:
(It’s not as if we have balad-balanitis)

2 Likes

@frito @pkboo3
Joe, Pam, thanks for the listen and I’m pleased you enjoyed the song. It’s always been a favourite of mine and despite the original being a piano song it works well in guitar.
You’ll see I’ve been given lots of advice here on how to improve it so I may come back to it further down the line.

1 Like

Richard. Thanks so much for the listen and advice. Yes the riff is the vital hook in this song. I was annoyed that the little riff part didn’t work as well as it might have. You’re quite right of course. Practise!
I also see what you mean about maintaining the pendulum whilst picking the riff. Quite difficult as it’s hard to hit the right note whilst keeping the arc going. What was that? Ah yes. Practise. :smiley:

I do like your extra verse. Very good. Another collaboration with @brianlarsen and you could be onto a winner here. Just don’t squeeze his lemons too hard. :wink:

1 Like

I really love this song by John, great performance, guitar playing and especially the vocals were great.
Thanks for sharing

Mike

Thanks so much for the listen and support Mike. Much appreciated.

I like it a lot Gordon! You could tell you got really comfortable with it as you progressed in the song, and it’s not an easy tune to nail I think. Also love it when people can make piano songs work on guitar, one of many skills I would still like to learn!

1 Like

Thanks Inge. Glad you enjoyed the song, I appreciate the support. I suppose the good thing about playing a well known piano based song on guitar is that you have pretty much a free rein as to how you play it.

Great job played very confidently, given me the confidence to tackle this one myself, although I’m worried about the F chord it will be a good workout.

1 Like

@Bassmiket
Thanks Mike. I’m glad I’ve inspired you to try this great song.

You might not find the F so difficult. The progression goes C - Cmaj7 - F. The change from C to Cmaj7 involves lifting your index finger off the second string first fret (C). That means your index finger is already moving so it can be on its way to forming the first fret barre as you go from Cmaj7 to F.
Can you play Fmaj7? That chord sounds good as a substitute for F in this song.

Good luck with it. :smiley:

@sairfingers Thanks for the tip Gordon, I’ll add this progression to my practice list

cheers
Mike

1 Like

Thank you for another great rendition from the heart.

Hi,
I like this song a lot and really enjoyed your version of it. I really think you did better as the song progressed. That goes for both vox and play. Nice to hear this one again as it has been a while.

All the best to you and keep up the vibe!
LB

@beneckejames @LBro
Hey Guys thanks for the listen. I thought this one had disappeared long ago!
I very much appreciate the listen and comments. It’s always been a favourite song of mine and one I might come back to and try to improve on.