Imposter Clowns

Ever have one of those days where you say to yourself
" Who’s this clown playin’ my guitar? Where did that other guy go? Ya know, the guy who’s put in all those hours of practice ; sweat blood and tears over this thing? Is he coming back tomorrow? I hope so, 'cos this guy’s giving me the shits"

Cheers, Shane :clown_face:

2 Likes

We all have those days…

“Wait I do play right handed …?”

1 Like

Had one of those the other day. That guy couldn’t even play some stuff I thought I’d nailed already.

I’ve been saying that for the past few years :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

8 out of 10 days :rofl:

Two remaing days are a blast though!

1 Like

There’s a solution for this btw. When that clown shows up, pull out a beer or two. Not sure if it fixes it but at least makes me not care :joy:

3 Likes

Shane, that clown had been hanging out at my place for the last week. He finally left. Must have gone to visit you! :clown_face:

1 Like

Funny you should mention it Shane, I have had about a week of it. Feel like I am playing with gloves on at the moment. Long learnt scales now have gapping holes, strings missed and rhythm has gone way south.

Took a big step back from practice items, to focus on just 2 songs I have created backing tracks for and worked on consistent timing.

Today I am just looking at some of Justin’s ACDC lessons with a view to do a slow build up and get back in the groove.

:clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face:

Hey Toby,

Comforting that those much further down the road like yourself still have these periods at times. Gives me something to look forward to. :crazy_face:

Cheers,
Shane

I’ll stick it in the post first class Shane and you can have it early !!

These bumps crop up now and then just like plateaus. Best solution I find is just to chill playing songs that I know to restore confidence and then ease slowly back into developmental practice being careful not to overload.

Ha !! But that don’t always work. I had 3 GuitarPro tabs for one song I was creating a BT for. One said it was tuned half step down, I replayed the original, its standard !! Another had 3/4 of a bar missing and I was wondering why the chords and words didn’t fit !! Then eventually set down to editing the only half decent one and taking out the long extended middle solo section that is way above my playgrade. Anyway, at least a solid platform to play over this evening !

Fun and games, fun and games. :angry:

I am just not sure that it is the clown that is the imposter…

2 Likes

Lots of days like that Shane, when I can’t even hold the pick right. Just have to power through, smile and hope for the “good feeling” to come back.

1 Like

Sounds like a minefield there Toby.:crazy_face:
I suppose my post was prompted by the fact that for nearly 2 years I’ve been steadily progressing along, the usual bumps and frustrations along the way. But today the brain and the fingers just ‘stood down’. Quite a bizarre feeling. Workin on the major pentatonic, happily cruisin around the fretboard, becoming more familiar with how the intervals all link up and work together. But today, I could barely even play a straight pattern that I’ve played hundreds of times. Ditched it and played some very familiar songs that I’m learning to sing over (for the OM), and could barely string 2 bars together.
I suppose if this happens every couple of years I can live with it. But if that clowns back tomorrow, I’ll likely be goin Pennywise on that joker :crazy_face::clown_face::crazy_face::clown_face::crazy_face:

3 Likes

I’m only starting out and I feel you, friend! One day I’m hitting 50 OMC, they next I fumble my way through 30 or less. I try to keep a perspective but sometimes it’s just frustrating. Oh well, it’s probably good for the soul or something. :wink:

1 Like