Improv Clip

Hey everyone!

Today I wanted to improv a bit so I recorded a bass riff, added some drums and started playing over the C major scale (pattern 1).
Having been improvising on this particular scale pattern since summer I got a bit bored and started getting outside the known pattern playing around with random notes. I don’t know which scale I’ve accidentally hit, but at some point something really beautiful came out.

Here’s a small clip.

I know it’s quite short, but feedback is always appreciated:)

16 Likes

Sound like you have stumbled on to the Phrygian mode. Some times letting your ears find what sounds good is the best way to discover new things. Well done.

1 Like

Sounds pretty cool to me!

1 Like

Very Middle Easternian kind of vibe, dig it!

2 Likes

This is the beauty of improv guitar, you can stumble unto a unique melody and chord progression.
Follow that up with phrases and chorus, and you have an original song!
Lovely playing, and unique sounding and melodic phrases!!!
I am digging this recording.
Rene

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the vibe of that, Helen. The licks and lines had as eastern vibe that I think sounds great. And your tone worked well for what you were playing.

Well done on the use of the thumb over to mute lower trings. I liked the repeated double-stop and the moments when you allowed a note to ring longer between phrases.

Cool play and thanks for sharing

1 Like

What is a phrygian mode? Sounds fancy:) :joy:

1 Like

It’s what the Klingons use to power the warp drive of their battlecruisers . :joy:

7 Likes

Sounds cool! Is it harmonic minor maybe?

1 Like

This sounds great. I love that Arabic vibe. Rachid Taha and Natacha Atlas should watch out!!!

1 Like

Gonna compose the next soundtrack for star trek;) :joy:

2 Likes

Helen, Justin’s lesson that introduces modes is now part of the theory course, which is one of the courses that one must purchase. You can see the series of related lessons here: https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/major-scale-modes

1 Like

Pretty cool vibe! Sounded awesome. Make a song out of it maybe?

2 Likes

Indeed. And the myxolidian is used to heat up their microwaves for dinner… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Well, I understood not one word of what you were explaining as I picked up my first guitar a month ago however I do know what nice tunes sound like and that was one. Great job :clap:

1 Like

Thanks! I’m currently on grade 4 of the course so I guess I’ll come across it some time!

1 Like

If more inspiration comes why not:)

1 Like

Thank you all for your kind words and musical input, I really appreciate it!

Glad you have access, Helen, it’s excellent material. And no reason why you should not have a quick look at the introductory lesson or two now, just to close the loop on Rick’s comment about a mode.

I’ll check it out, thank you!

1 Like