Improv - D mixolydian

Came across this chord progression in my search for some more cool backing tracks to improvise over. It comes from one of my regular Youtube channels, Tao of Twang, and is part of lessons he gives on improvising. Sounded cool, checked out the chords, and its a 5-4-1-5 in G. Then Dave started talking about modes, and D Mixolydian. Now I’ve read a reasonable bit about modes but haven’t studied or practiced them. I’ve got plenty to keep me busy for the next few years before I get to modes, but thought I’d give it a go. Glad I did. Has certainly opened my eyes to a few things. Actually doing it was a great teaching exercise. Might dip my toes in again soon, as my interest is certainly piqued. I think I ended up playing alot of major pentatonic, while trying to load that b7 from D mixolydian as well. Found some minor pentatonic with that b3 which seemed to suit as well.
This guy makes some groovy backing tracks that are fun to experiment over; many have only 2-3 chords, which is great for learning, without the pressure of chasing alot of chords.
Anyway, appreciate any feedback, tips etc.

Cheers, Shane

10 Likes

Nice work Shane!

I’ve not yet started on my solo journey so in no position to judge …don’t be afraid to leave a few more spaces?

1 Like

What’s not to like about a Mixo melody workout on a cold grey autumn morning. Sounded good with some nice phrases and yep the b7 shines out. Great BT I’ll have to check that guy out sometime, if I can drag myself away from Elevated Jam Track !

Nicely done Shane.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Sounded great, Shane, the tone and the phrases. Above my play-grade to give you any pointers.

Now Toby has another person to talk about mixo and other modes :grin:

1 Like

Most of what you said was double Dutch to me but the playing was sweet. I really enjoyed it Shane.

1 Like

Thanks Toby. So it had the mixolydian sound? I thought so, but I’m just dippin my toes in this stuff, although I realise the b7 is the distinguishing note.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated. @TheMadman_tobyjenner will gettin’ more questions than discussion from me for a little while in this area :smile:

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Great - sounded like a classic mixolydian jam should! I like Tao of Twang too, been subbed there for a few months now.

1 Like

Thanks Phil. Appreciate the feedback. Good to get some confirmation that I’m in the ballpark.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Nicely done Shane. I was scrolling down fully knowing that @TheMadman_tobyjenner would be lurking some hereabouts.

:sunglasses: Southern Rock Mixolydian Harley Davidson Rock Groove Flat7

1 Like

Sounded really good to me Shane, only a few moments of hesitation here and there but really groovy and tone was really sweet. And one could certainly hear something else here to usual major or minor pentatonic scale which was great!

1 Like

That was great Shane. Definitely sounded different to to the usual minor/major pent stuff. Allman Bros sound perhaps?

1 Like

Hi Shane,
I liked the playing :sunglasses:
Warn when you get to the Locrian…I think I’ll skip that one :smile:
Greetings,…

No !! Embrace the strange one. :wink:

1 Like

Okay… :face_with_peeking_eye:.I can be persuaded quickly. :smile:…I ask that of all of you too :innocent:
But I have memories that sometimes it sounds good,…not active (our prime minister would say), but still…
Greetings…

1 Like

Love it :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That was very cool, Shane. Quite a few things I really liked, the extra note added to a first note playing, the repeating motif played in different locations, and that sweeeet bend. Again - very cool. :sunglasses:

@sclay Back again to ask you what ‘path’ you’ve been following on your improv / soloing journey. Thanks.

Above my level to offer any advice Shane but that sounded really cool. You look very comfortable and relaxed playing which comes across great. Super stuff! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your kind feedback.

@Mari63 , I focus on heavily on scales, triads and arpeggios, with intervals at the core. I run structured, focused drills and also alot of experimenting over backing tracks. Learning how to link them and play them in different ways. I use CAGED to navigate the fretboard. Learning solos as well, and studying how they are put together. Justin is a primary source, but I also get alot of value from Brian Kelly from Zombie Guitars and Dave @ Tao of Twang, and some others.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like