Improv in E Major I-ii-IV-V

Much appreciated Stefan. Hopefully I will be playin for years.

Cheers, Shane

Hey Toby,

Very much appreciate the feedback and kind words.
Yeah I suppose I have been workin hard at it. The softer touch development Iā€™ve been working into some drills for a while, trying to play with as light a touch as possible. I think itā€™s helping somewhat to alleviate the ā€˜death gripā€™ I came to Justin Guitar with 2 years ago. (I think its 2 years next week :partying_face:).
Been delving alot into FX chains etc in recent weeks, just trying to get a handle on the sounds and sequences, how different effects function together, and in particular how things like EQ and compression work. Since getting the Focusrite a couple of weeks ago, its allowed me get some real, practical experience with these things, and making it now a little less difficult to get closer to the tone Iā€™m looking for. Am lovin the software route, but ever mindful that its about improving as a player first and foremost. It is fun thoughšŸ˜œ
Gonna have a crack at some heavier blues next. Should be a good test of where Iā€™m at, and a good test of controlling unwanted string noise.

Sorry I created a ā€˜dilemmaā€™, but thrilled you mentioned myself and the word ā€˜inspirationā€™ in the same sentence. :relaxed:

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Very nice work!! I need to work on the way I think about soloing. The way you played makes me think about how I approach my playing. Keep up the great work!!

Very nice, Shane. I imagine you know Melissa by the Allman Brothers. Same key and similar progression. If youā€™ve not heard it in awhile, give it a listen for some ideas thatā€™d fit your style and interests I think.

1 Like

Thanks William for the feedback, and suggestion. Much appreciated.

Cheers, Shane

Iā€™m just learning Pentatonic Scales and am using Melissa as a backing track and like these two vids for ideas which you might also enjoy: 3 Allman Brothers Band Style Soloing Tips For Melissa - YouTube and The Dickey Betts Scale - Learn his style - Major Pentatonic Scale guitar lesson - EP404 - YouTube

1 Like

Nicely done! You told some stories there and traversed the fret board in a way that added tension and provided release. A lot to like here and build on.

I could just as easily be saying this to myself ā€“ spend some time on vibrato. Nip that one finger vibrato technique in the bud now if you can. Get three fingers on it if you can. Donā€™t let it settle in like I have done. Youā€™re pulling notes sharp or flat on occasion, it jumps out at around the 40s mark. Really noticeable from someone like me who has the same issue (and in my case doing the violin thing). I would never mention this to another player if it wasnā€™t a nit that I have with my own playing, and knowing that it would make your track dang near flawless (to my ears).

We need a lot more of this kind of lead playing around here. Youā€™re on the bullet train to playing some really good tracks. Good job, sir!

2 Likes

Thanks for the response Clint. I really appreciate the specific feedback ie re the vibrato. Its exactly the sort of feedback Iā€™m looking for. Think Iā€™ll revisit Justins vibrato lessons, and try to refine my technique. Thanks again.

Cheers, Shane.

1 Like