Introducing myself - hello, Maarten from Belgium

Hi!
My name is Maarten, I live in Belgium.

I first stumbled across Justin’s video’s about ten years ago, in my thirties. I bought a beginner acoustic, got started and then quit playing fairly soon. It was too hard, I sounded bad, changing chords on time is impossible, self conscious judgement… the usual.

Over the course of the next few years I picked up the guitar again now and then, enough to get the open chords down and some really basic finger picking. I’d practice a bit, see some improvement, but then got stuck again and quit and the cycle would repeat.

It wasn’t until I tried an electric guitar this year that things really clicked. I enjoyed playing so much more on the electric. It gave me a whole new dose of motivation. So here I am again, going through the basics for the nth time… They say the best time to start was ten years ago, the next best time is now :stuck_out_tongue:

The music I find most inspiring is the magical stuff that takes place on the crossroad between traditional tunes and weirdness. I like blues, folk, jazz, drone, doom metal, indie, grunge…

4 Likes

Hi Maarten,
Welcome,…10 years ago with Justin and still gave up…foei :smirk:…but a lot has changed here, a lot,…and you have become 10 years wiser yourself. :sweat_smile:. .so now hang in there, i wish you lots of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum Maarten. Good to hear you’ve gotten you mojo back.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard!

First of all, congratulations on not entirely giving up! You might feel differently, but constantly coming back and trying to turn your dreams into reality is a huge thing.
What really matters is that the times you started learning how to play exceed the times you ‘gave up’ :slight_smile:

Struggling with self criticism myself, the only advice I can give you is to focus on the journey and small achievements. Big goals are important to keep you going, but they can also make you feel like you’re not progressing enough. Try to keep some sort of guitar diary (eg record yourself) and you’ll find out you become much better than you think! Also, stay inspired! Different guitars, different genres, it doesn’t matter as long as you see the guitar and wish to play.

Whenever you feel stuck or need help, this community is always open!

Enjoy the magic of this musical journey and… stay aboard!

2 Likes

Hello Maarten,f a very warm welcome to the community. You will meet many folk who picked it up and put it down here. Any questions just ask. Look around, join in, make yourself at home. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Maarten, welcome to the community. Yay, you’ve found your groove. Keep at it!

2 Likes

Welcome Maarten
Your story is Similar to mine although I have ventured back to my acoustic recently. I am following Justin‘s courses from the basics even if I already know it. I bought my first electric in February. And I have been obsessed since.

Just keep on playing

2 Likes

Hey Maarten!

Welcome to the forum.
Welkom op het forum. :smile:

You’ve definitly come to the right place.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Hello Maarten and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

Hopefully following Justin’s course and with your electric you’ll now be a lifetimer.

2 Likes

Hi Maarten! Welcome! :wave:
Your story is one I can certainly relate to! Enjoy your electric, switching to that made a massive difference to my path also :guitar::metal::confounded:
I look forward to hearing more about your progress again soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes