Introduction To Dice Songwriting

We’re going to write a song together from start to finish in just 30 minutes… this should be interesting!

View the full lesson at Introduction To Dice Songwriting | JustinGuitar

Hey Justin this is one of the songs i’ve managed to finish and produce too:) let me know what you think, great video and thanks for the lessons as always:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf2eZcj7hCo

3 Likes

Very nice, quite enjoyed it.

1 Like

Hello @liamcarmichael10 and welcome to the community.
Feel free to pop in to the Community Hub and introduce yourself there. Community Hub - JustinGuitar Community

I listened to your song with interest. Good stuff. I’m wondering what your connection is with Justin’s site and how long you’ve been using his lessons?

We have section dedicated to recordings - with some rules and etiquette about posting - if you want to drop more posts. Please read and check it out. Thanks. Community Recordings - JustinGuitar Community

Cheers :blush:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

1 Like

Hey man, nice work!

I would suggest to make ‘big’ bigger and ‘small’ smaller so the song changes a bit more as it progresses, but halfway through I actually had the feeling I was listening to a real, finished song.

How long have you been playing?

1 Like

“Through the fire and flames we carry on” is from Through the Fire and Flames By Dragonforce \m/

1 Like

Seeing the basic process drawn out like that was surprisingly insightful and actually convinced me that songwriting is not out of my reach. Going to do some experimenting with this, thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Justin, I am wring my song but struggling to find the right chords for the verse. I’m using the stuck 3/4 and I am not sure what key they are in? E maj7, D add11/F#, C add 9 and big G. If I just take them as E,D,C and G that are in the key of C but is that how it works? When I use Am to go into the chorus it doesn’t sound right. I’ve tried a few different combinations but it doesn’t sound right. Help?

1 Like

The chords that you are playing are not the key of C. You are using chord out of the circle of 5th. In the Key of C the D and E would be minor chords. Using circle of 5th the chords would be C G D E and A not Am so try A.
Hey Joe also uses the circle of 5th chords.

2 Likes

Thanks Stitch. I will give that a go.

1 Like

Bravo! Very clever! May motivate me to do some songwriting.

1 Like

Sounds good.
The Dice method is great. Stop you from thinking.
With will definitely help you write a better song, not.
You only can love this Guy.

2 Likes

One question I have, how do you go about writing a melody to go with the chord progression? In the video, Justin uses dice to pick the chords. He then starts singing the random lyrics from Instagram over the chords as he plays them.

Do you build a melody out of notes from that scale (e.g., if that bar is a C Major chord, do you write the melody for that bar from notes of the C Major scale?)?

Todd to keep it simple, try and use the chord tones (notes) as the frame work for the melody lines, to start with. Even if its a couple of notes over each chord to start with, just make sure the notes are from each chord. Then add additional chords from the scale to expand it further, most will work and some will sound better than others. The chord tones will always sound best. You can try adding some non scale tones as passing notes, again some will work others will not. Your ears will tell you if its working ! Just have fun and experiment.
:sunglasses: