Iron Maiden - Aces High

Not qualified to comment but sounds good to me!

1 Like

Thanks for all the nice comments, they are really appreciated!

Really motivated to learn new material and record atm, so already working on the next thing… which will be a different genre :wink:

1 Like

Wow, really what can I say on this except wow, and wow again, you are such a gifted musician and really just a total inspiration. (Better to go that route than the burning my guitars route!).

1 Like

This sounds great! Pure joy to listen to :grinning:, the quality of the performance is amazing.

1 Like

Spot on. Bruce is very Operatic (if that’s a word). Like an Opera singer, very powerful. Very trained. Everyone in the band is just so dang talented at what they do, it’s mesmerizing. I could listen to “Live After Death” as my deserted island pick and be a pretty happy castaway.

1 Like

Excellent stuff.

I’ve got a 3-step-plan to plot your further career:

1. move to Belgium
  2. join my band
  3. replace me on guitar so I can focus on vocal and …“show” :smiley:
2 Likes

Outstanding stuff Kasper, to the point where I wonder why you are still on Justin Guitar. Surely there is nothing more he can teach you :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, I’m sure he could, especially in a “1 on 1” setting.
But it’s true that Justin’s focus online seems to be more aimed at beginners and intermediate players. I’m here for the community, not for the teaching material tbh…

Thanks for the nice words and for checking out my track!

1 Like

Dave

Kasper epitomises Justin’s ethos of paying forward, where you pass on your knowledge to those treading the path behind and help them in their development, with support and advice.

Far too many get to a certain level, having taken all those free lessons and are never seen nor heard of again. And Mr Fauerby ain’t one of them by a long chalk.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

That ethos is what a lot of us try to fulfill regardless of ability. I’d like to think I have helped in some way.
Thanks to you, Richard, Stitch, David and Kasper and many others who make this community what it is

3 Likes

Hi Kasper,
I almost wanted to “run” upstairs and put on my old t-shirts from back in the day…I was a real metalhead…I still listen to hard rock now and then…but this was just as long ago…we enjoyed a lot…thank you,

1 Like

WOW!

I am a Maiden fan and what got me was the tone. What guitar and amp did you use? I’m really interested in hearing what equipment you used for mics and recording the song.

I’m new to the community and my goal is to learn a song and post it at some point.

On another note, I just saw Bruce Dickinson at the Carnegie Library Music Hall in Pittsburgh during his speaking tour. He talked for 2 hours straight! He was very entertaining. After a 20 minute break, he came out and sang a few verses. Revalations was one of them. After speaking for 2 hours solid, he was darn close to nailing it.

Hi there, and welcome!
So glad you liked my recording :wink:

For all rhythm guitar I used two different amps, one for each side (a common recording technique, although you can totally get a good result with just one amp). One side is a 50W Marshall Plexi, and the other side is a Soldano SLO-30.
The solos were done with the SLO… a Plexi doesn’t have quite enough gain (although you can again do these things many different ways… for example by using a boost pedal or overdrive pedal).

I used something called Impulse Responses, which is like a “virtual mic and cab” that allows for silent recording at home… and takes away a lot of the difficult parts of traditional mic’ing up a cab (room treatment, multiple mics, mic placement etc etc).

As for guitar(s); I used a ESP Ltd Deluxe for rhytm, and a Suhr PT for solos.

1 Like

… and here is the last one of the “guitar only” track that I’ll post for “old” recordings…

To be honest… out of the 3 posts, this is probably the one where I’m the least happy with the tones and playing.
One problem I had was this - the backing track I played over was performed quite poorly. The drummer didn’t keep time at all, so tempo is varying wildly… to the point where I had problems playing along to it!
Also… the tones is perhaps not 100% correct for the track.

BUT… that’s kind of the point of sharing these kinds of things. So we can discuss, learn and improve :slight_smile:

Notes:

• Notice how the power chords in the verses are “pushed”. This is super important for the overall feel. A subtle thing, but a bit tricky.
  • Notice that Iron Maiden has two guitarists, so in almost all songs the solo(s) are performed as one player leading into the other. In this case I could have played the solos as ONE continuous thing, but I wanted it to sound as two separate things… so I used slight panning as well as different amp settings to make it clear that it’s two separate parts in the track.
  • I took a lot of “creative freedom” in the tones used for tracking the solos. I applied some chorus and stereo widening on both - which is not there on the original - but I liked the tones like that in the mix.

Take care,
Kasper

1 Like

I remember this well Kasper. The trouble with Maiden is they now (well for some time now) muddy the waters with three soloists. Call, return and interjection plus multi layered harmonies ! But shoot still love their stuff but its very hard for us less than mediocre folk to come anywhere near them. You on the other hand ? Well the title of the tracks says it all. Keep doing your thang and keep sharing !
:sunglasses:

I’m very late to the party… but wow :open_mouth:. Nothing to say… you’re really inspiring and what I would like to be able to play some day.

And you just reminded me that I’m watching Iron Maiden this year in Barcelona :grimacing::metal:

1 Like

Hi Kasper,

I already thought … what does he makes a mess of it :smirk: :joy:
Ok , for you with your ability and hearing this music perfectly maybe not 100% good … but to me it sounds like 100% GREAT, GREAT and GREAT :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Greetings

1 Like

Up the Irons!

Hope the show will happen! Lots of concerts are still cancelled here in Denmark… some artists are still being very, very careful!

1 Like

Oh, I hope it doesn’t get cancelled, again. I have the tickets since 2019 :smiling_face_with_tear:. I have some kind of curse with Iron Maiden. This is the 3rd time I try to see them and “something” happens

1 Like

Hi Kasper,

Awesome job.
I remember buying Powerslave back in the day; such a great album.
What an opening track this was. Good old Air raid siren Bruce having a vocal dog fight.
Oh, the memories.

Brilliant tone and fantastic playing.
What’s not to like?

Simply Brilliant.

Do you cover Phantom of the Opera?

Digger

1 Like