Is Classic guitar anything to consider?

Here is a link about the difference between classical and flamenco guitars. The main one to pay attention to is that the action is much lower than on a classical because flamenco players WANT some buzz in their strings at times. If this were to be a problem for you, you could probably raise the action a touch pretty easily. (My crossover nylon electric also has pretty low action).

Thanks for the link!

Iā€™m not really sure how I would accurately measure the action height. But I guess on my guitar it is even lower than mentioned in the article for Flamenco guitars (Iā€™d say around 0.1 cm at the 1st fret and around 0.35 cm at the 12th fret). But as I said: Without any knowledge about guitars in general, I donā€™t really know what that means for me :wink:

We compared it to a CĆ³rdoba Fusion 14 Maple in the shop (which a friend then bought). This is designated by the manufacturer as a ā€œclassical guitarā€. To be honest, I couldnā€™t hear much of a difference. And it would have cost 150 Euros more which was just too expensive for me (the 649 Euros for mine were already over my initial budget :see_no_evil:). But I wouldnā€™t say that mine sounds ā€œbuzzyā€ or aggressive or particularly loud.

Hereā€™s a video on what action means and how it can be measured:

Iā€™ve been also thinking about getting a classical guitar as I started to listen to classical guitar / lute music and bought a bunch of sheet music a few weeks ago. However, Iā€™m not entirely sure if it would be justified. I mean, my chances of becoming any good at playing classical pieces are not huge, and my 12 string is already pretty exotic in itself (though weā€™re getting more and more used to each other).

I wonder how often a capo or a slide are used with classical guitars.

Thanks for the link. I donā€™t have one of those special measurement tools. And with a normal folding rule, you canā€™t really measure down to half a millimeter. :wink: ā€¦ And I think we might be a bit off-topic by now. :joy:

Thanks for that link. I learned something new there.

Hi Trond, I think you should think about getting a hollow body electric guitar to go with that amplifier.

Even the greatest fingerstyle players such as Tommy Emmanuel play electric from time to time.

I have tried out a few hollow Gretchesā€¦ and i really did not get a feel for it :grimacing:
That saidā€¦ i am going with electrical at some point. I want to play bothā€¦
but i have a quite short guitar career. So i dont really stress it either :grin:

Iā€™ve just bought an epiphone ES-335 and I can totally understand where youā€™re coming from being more of an acoustic player. Saying that Iā€™m slowly getting used to playing electric and loving the tones Iā€™m getting out of the ES-335. I just wished I was a better playa.

1 Like

My first guitar was a Yamaha student classical nylon string guitar. I cut my teeth, wrote my songs on it and dragged it everywhere. I could never part with it.

In this second phase of my guitar journey, sadly Iā€™ve recorded one song on it: itā€™s all too much
It still has its place on my wall for songs that need more space between strings and a mellower tone. The neck is a bit chunky like a 2x4 but itā€™s playable:

Thatā€™s it there in the corner next to the tele.

If you are playing a steel string and play finger style/finger picking now, there probably isnā€™t much need to get a nylon string guitar.

1 Like

Serious question: Why would I need so many different guitars? :wink: So far I plan to get by with a single guitar. I have to admit, though, that I like the look of your collection :+1:

1 Like

No, you canā€™t be serious! :wink:

Youā€™re going to have some trouble covering a lot of musical ground with one guitar. I play a number of genres, styles and love to experiment with guitar tone. Why am I explaining this to you? Youā€™re not my wife. Did she put you up to this? Dang, I canā€™t get a moments peace. LOL

4 Likes

I guess Iā€™ve never thought about different genres or styles. I have to learn the absolute basics first. :wink:

1 Like

Stick around, youā€™ll get beyond the basics in short order.

I think its also a good idea to have more than one guitar in the house in case a friend or a friend of a friend comes to visit that can play the guitar and the opportunity for an impromptu jam session arises

2 Likes

I can see the argument. But honestly, Iā€™m very reluctant to let most others play my instruments. :see_no_evil:

The enjoyment and learning that you will get from the experience would be priceless and memorable. To me life is for making memories. If something did unfortunately happen to the guitar it would just have to be fixed or replaced.

1 Like

Then I would probably ask the friend in advance to bring his/her own guitar. But I guess weā€™re getting quite off-topic here :wink:

My first guitar was an electric, but my second guitar was a classical. I ended up with it for the exact reason you mention ā€œI just liked the sound.ā€ I bought it in Japan at a little shop named ā€œThree Sistersā€ after trying out a bunch of different guitars. I say if I like the way they sound, then by all means go ahead and get one.

I like classical guitars a lot, and itā€™s always amazing to play one. Due to the lower string tension they usually have a lighter construction, and that makes them very responsive and they project incredibly well. Itā€™s always surprising how much sound they produce.

And no, you donā€™t have to play classical style on a nylon string guitar. Willie Nelsonā€™s famous guitar, ā€œTrigger,ā€ is a nylon string guitar. John McLaughlin used a nylon string for jazz fusion. And so on.

2 Likes

This is not a serious question :exploding_head:

I would argue that, although I have 4 going on 5 guitars, I really need 2. One acoustic because that is what I want to play. One electric so I can put on headphones and play without pissing of the other people in my family.

I also have a goal to play classical, on electric, so I need a nylon string guitar and another reason for an electric.

Then I need a travel/beater guitar because I am not throwing the Larrivee, the Carvin or the nylon in the back of the car with the dog for a trip to the mountain condo.

Oh, nuts, that makes 4.

I also have almost all the parts for a tele, and of course I need a tele. 5ā€¦:man_facepalming:t3:ā€¦without even arguing about tonal qualities.

How is that for rationalization?

I talk myself out of buying another guitar every day. Occasionally, I fail.

1 Like

Dig your style Joshua :rofl: Great stuff!!

I have 2 acoustics because i had an issue with my primary when the minus degrees camed. I had a terrible buzz, so it needed a fix and a setup. So i purchased the second guitar so i always have one available if something happens with one of them. Not many luthiers in my neck of the woods. So it takes a while if something needs to be fixed or whatever.