Is it bad to use a foot rest?

Hello everybody!

I am on grade 2 and a friend of mine gave me a foot rest to try it . It helped a lot with the arm position, especially on the chords. I wonder if it is bad for guitar learning journey. Can anyone help me please? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It is good to use one. You will see classical players use them frequently. The footrest will help with posture if you use it properly.

4 Likes

Mate, whatever works.

3 Likes

I also bought a footrest very early and consider as very helpful for a better posture. Also my strumming arm and shoulder area seems to be more relaxed than without.

1 Like

It depends.

Do you want to only play well with a footrest? Always use a footrest. You can always adapt later if you change your mind.

Do you want to adapt and play well without one? Don’t use one.

2 Likes

I use one too, most of the time. It’s so much easier to keep my guitar in place. So the playing ist much more relaxed…

1 Like

Thanks to all of you! :slightly_smiling_face: As I can see not only isn’t bad “habit” but it can be beneficial too! Your help is important :foot: Thank you again!

1 Like

I bought one a few days ago but before that I used a 10KG free weight to rest my foot on. :slight_smile: I do use a strap most of the time as well.

2 Likes

I suppose it depends on how you hold the guitar. Classical players use footrests frequently, as it helps the more traditional and common way people hold the classical guitar.

There are some comments on how the footrests cause a different strain on the back and some classical players have had issue. Because of that and my already too old back, I use a lift instead of the footrest. I use the lift for both classical and steel acoustic, using my iteration of the classical posture. I even have a lift for the electric so I can use the same posture.

To paraphrase Justin, if it feels good it is good…

Funny, when I typed “electric” above, auto correct replaced it with “Elvis”!:laughing:

2 Likes

Haha!
Yes I forgot this quote! So we are ok! :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry, maybe a dumb question, but what is a lift?

2 Likes

@Helen0609 I wanted to ask the same question but I forgot that. Maybe is better than the foot rest :smiley:

1 Like

It is something that supports your guitar on your leg to hold it in position. There are a lot of them out there. Designed for classical guitar, but can be used on any acoustic. I use the Sageworks which hold by magnets mounted in the guitar, so easy to swap. Electrics need something more specialized, but they are out there.

3 Likes

Ah thanks! Didn’t know how many supports exist. Learnt something new!

I like that idea to use a free weight! it would be really stable and a good height :+1: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use a footrest at times too. Otherwise, I have a tendency to cross my legs to support the guitar and I can hardly walk when I get up after playing for a while because one foot has gone to sleep! :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s actually a lot more stable than the footrest I bought and I already had it. lol I am the original "All the gear and no Idea Guy " :slight_smile:

2 Likes