Is this a decent first electric guitar?

Squier FSR Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster Vintage Blonde Maple Fingerboard

Iā€™m not much of a guitar player at all, but can sit and rattle out a few chords on an old acoustic that sits in the corner of the lounge. Iā€™m working through the lessons on the main JG website and quite enjoying it.

My lad is a keen and very capable musician, so there is no shortage of guitars, amps etc. in the house, but I fancied something for myself to keep in the lounge and play in my own time!

The write ups for the CVā€™s seem overwhelmingly positive, and this seems like a keen price for one, so I wondered if it would be a good place to start?

Hi Joe,
Yes it is ā€¦

And welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses: and and hopefully for you, you stay at the course for the best learning curveā€¦
If you type ā€˜my first guitarā€™ and its variants in the search window, you will get a ton of information if you want,
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Absolutely. I have two teles, an embarrassingly expensive one, and one of these. They are not worlds apart.

2 Likes

Welcome Joe! My money says that if youā€™re just rattling out a few chords here and there, you wonā€™t notice the difference between a Squier Tele and a Fender Tele in terms of performance. I do not own a Squier, but I do I know several people who play modern Squiers and are very happy with them.

1 Like

Welcome Joe! Good to have you join the Community.
Iā€™ve had a play on a couple of Squiers and I donā€™t think you can go wrong with one as your first electric, the ones I tried have all been a nice feel and sound very good. Admittedly I am a sucker for the looks of a maple fingerboard!

Let us know if you go ahead :slight_smile:

BTW - assuming you plan to stick around here, why not drop an introduction post here.

All the best and rock on! :guitar: :guitar: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

Just about as good as it gets for value, playability and tone.

1 Like

Thanks very much for all the replies. I think Iā€™ll go for it then, I chose a Tele for the simplicity and I like the retro colour scheme of this one - itā€™ll match its old looking owner!

2 Likes

New guitar day! Have fun!

I need another one of thoseā€¦but I also need to stay married. :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Joe, welcome to the community!. Thatā€™s a guitar Iā€™d be quite happy to see in my house with the other 6 guitars, never mind as a first one!

TL;DR - Yes

1 Like

Good to hear!

Hello Joe!

First of all, welcome.
If youā€™re looking to buy a guitar, i can give you this advice.
First: get yourself to a store, any store really and have a good look around. In this case, for this or another Tele.
Second, get your hands on it. See how it feels, how it handles, is the weight something youā€™re comfortable with, how does the neck feel, how does it feel overall?
Does it ā€œtalkā€ to you? Youā€™ll know when it happens. For me it was love at first sight with my Ibanezā€¦
Go with your gut feeling.
If you found the right one, buy it. If not, try another guitar, maybe another store.
Next up, find yourself a luthier and have it set up. A good luthier will listen to you and help you along.
Youā€™ll end up with a guitar that feels and plays like nothing youā€™ve had before.

2 Likes

I stopped doing this a long time ago because the value isnā€™t there. Brands jack up the price of their instruments because of advertisement, distribution and stocking costs. Those costs do not add anything to quality of the instrument. Go for it if this is fine with you.

I started buying online from a reputable dealer that ships guitars that have already been setup, are playable out of the box with an excellent return policy. Iā€™m on the West coast US and have found such a vendor in monoprice.com. Iā€™m a two hour drive away from their distribution center. I think Harley Benton guitars follow the same logic. These off brand/clone guitars are built in the same factories with the same parts as the big name brands, but with huge savings due to direct sales. The markups are huge from name brands.

That said, I bought my tele from monoprice because it is comparable to the Squire CV but at a huge discount ($198 US with a free gig bag)

1 Like

I forgot to add that, after your visit to the store, you can buy the guitar you want, online, but at a better price. Itā€™s true that retailers have a higher price. (canā€™t blame them though, staff, building, power, etc, all costs money to keep afloat.
Buying ā€œblindā€ online means (to me) exactly knowing what youā€™re looking for.

1 Like

my advice , after buying it , bring it to a luthier to get it set up :slight_smile:

1 Like

You shouldnā€™t do this. Otherwise, there will no longer be retail stores for you to try out real guitars. Also, itā€™s kind of a d!ckhead thing to do.

Support your local retailers!

3 Likes

Unfortunately itā€™s a 4hr round trip for me to the nearest guitar store!

I ordered the one I posted from guitarguitar (Iā€™ve bought drums and a piano from them before) and it arrived yesterday. Iā€™m very happy with it so far, so itā€™s worked out just fine :+1:t3:

1 Like

The following has been alluded to somewhat. My opinion - More important than the lineage of the instrument youā€™re purchasing is whether or not the instrument fits you perfectly. If youā€™re an average size individual, then the number of available options is pretty vast. However, if you fall outside of average then youā€™re forced to physically adapt to the instrument making for an unpleasant experience. Would you buy shoes that are two sizes too small or large even if they look great? Seems to me that you would have to hold the guitar to know.

2 Likes

Hi Joe (I was going to say Hey Joe but I guess you have heard that one many times) I have a squire tele in arctic white tune it to open g and it sounds just like the rolling stones, good choice squire are Fenders entry level guitars as epiphone are Gibsonā€™s

1 Like

:grinning: not as often as youā€™d think though!

I am a beginner and I have a 60s classic vibe tele and itā€™s a great guitar and should be very good as a guitar to learn on.

Buy one and have fun with it!!!

1 Like