Is this product good for keeping strings clean / lubed?

Hi @Richard_close2u, this is the thing I use, a string fuel as they call it. After a play session I clean the string with it and then wipe it with a sweatcloth. Takes all the black gunk from around the strings. Maybe it’s not a lube, just a cleaner. Please let me know if I am doing it wrong.

Yikes :grin::grin::grin:. It’s a brand new guitar not even a month old. It’s the string fuel from musicnomad I clean it with, not really a lubricant maybe :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I wouldn’t say you’re doing anything wrong just wasting your money.
All I’ve ever done for the past 40+ years is wipe my guitars and strings down with a cotton cloth after playing.
The stuff you posted sounds like a knock off of Fast Fret which
I also think is a waste of money.
Can I ask who told you you needed this stuff?

Yikes, no-one really. It’s just the engineer in me, googling how to take care of guitars, then going down the rabbit hole :sweat_smile:

Your guitar has a maple neck / fretboard. I wouldn’t recommend such a product.

This made me laugh:

3 Likes

:frowning:, What should I use then? My fingers and hand sweat a lot and it’s pretty hot where I live.

A soft cloth. Maybe a very slightly damp soft cloth if you feel you have salty sweat.

2 Likes

Hello @swashata ,
Maybe wash your hands before you play, and afterwards a dry cleaning cloth over your strings…just see how long it takes for your strings to oxidize…if that is much too fast, you can always still searching for solutions … Right?
Good luck, and all the best,… from a cold Netherlands,
Rogier

2 Likes

A very reputable luthier I know sells his own concoction of string cleaner. So I wouldn’t take the negative comments as absolute truth any more than I would believe the adverts posted. I didn’t find the luthier string cleaning solution I speak of any help to me, but my fingers don’t get sweaty and I use coated strings and I get good life out of my strings. You are the best person to tell if the product you are using is any good for you.

1 Like

Are you using coated strings? If not you may consider them.
They last a long time and don’t corrode. They cost more but also
last at least 3 times longer.

2 Likes

That’s actually what I was wondering about, what type of strings you use swashata?

1 Like

My guitar is very new around a month old, it’s schecter sun valley super shredder fr. From the manual I see it is fitted with Ernie Ball slinky #2222, 9-46.

There’s absolutely no oxidation on the strings as of now and I haven’t changed it. I have followed Justin’s accessories series and have purchased the D’addario XT nickel plated ones of same gauge. Since I don’t have the experience with this guitar (or any for that matter) I cannot say how long this is going to last.

But before this, I was practicing with a Yamaha F310. Back in October I opened the guitar for the first time after several years to find out that the bridge was coming off and the body was swollen. I gave it to a local shop and they pasted the bridge back but they did a very poor job. They fitted with some string that they said was good. I don’t know from which brand, but it was of poor quality. I didn’t know about Justin’s courses or this community back then, so honestly had no one to ask.

Anyway, within 30 days the strings got rusted and I actually hurt my fingers. Now again please know that it’s very hot where I live, around 30-40deg C and humid too. My fingers also get sweaty. So I changed the strings again myself and put the D’addario ones. Also bought that string fuel and I just wipe the strings after every practice session. The strings are still good now, but sadly the guitar isn’t. The bridge is coming off again.

Anyway, atleast for my condition it seems to work. Or it could also be the string itself.

The D’addario XT strings you bought are nickel plated so they
souldn’t rust. But if the do show signs of corrosion after a short
period you may need to use that string fuel because of the high
humidity where you live.

The conditions you live in don’t sound very acoustic guitar friendly.
High humidity is not good for accoustic and adding 40c temperatures makes it worse.
That most likely why the bribge came off your Yamaha.

If you really want an accoustic in the future I’d recommend a carbon fiber one. The are very expensive but under you conditions
it will last your life time and more.

Keep us posted on how well your next set of strings last without
using that stuff.

1 Like

Thank you stitch. I will surely do that.

Hey @swashata ,
30 to 40c with high humidity…Ooooo.
I watch every day … really every day … at least 1 nature documentary … of course India often passes by … I often wonder how extra hard it is for the animals there … from now on I think of you too and your poor guitar…good luck and enjoy playing guitar.
Greetings Rogier

1 Like

Hi @stitch and @roger_holland, maybe I made it sound bad than it actually is. Yes, the highest temperature gets around 40-42C but that’s the highest. In summer, the average is around 30-36. Humidity is on an average 30-40% but can frequent to 80%. In winter the temperature falls down to 6-7C at night and 12-20 at day, pretty abrupt, but overall winter is very comforting (where I live). In summer it gets all sweaty and stuff, but we do have air conditioning. I have two dogs at home too and they cannot live without the AC :rofl:.

I think the reason the body got damaged is because I stored it for several years without loosening the strings. I have asked around and my friends just loosen the strings, put a lot of silica gels and then store it. It hardly creates any damage. Anyway lessons learnt and I just need to take better care of my guitars.

oooo, luckily it sounds a lot less bad now :sweat_smile: … although the average summer temperature with you is quite intense for us Dutch people, and also for that island that lies above us.
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
And from now on be kind to your guitar…I also had a very old one ruined in an attic(èlite from the 50`s) :see_no_evil:
Greetings ,Rogier

1 Like

Also related is this thread.
Fast Fret - any good?

1 Like

Hey swashata,
nice to meet you here! I just can back all the others up with that in my opinion it is not really needed to spend money and time for additional products to lube the string. Wiping them with a cloth is never a bad idea when it gets too messy with your playing :slight_smile:
What I do think is string choice makes a huge impact on how long they last and how much fun you have when playing.
As my favorites have not been mentioned yet, I’ll do so: I exclusively use Elixir strings (the “Nanoweb”, phosphor bronze versions) https://www.elixirstrings.com on all my instruments. They have a special coating/webbing/whatever you call it around them, which makes them last pretty long. Additionally they are a bit smoother to play (again IMHO). The coating affects the tonal properties compared to uncoated p/b strings, yes, but if you get used to them or even like them from the beginning, you’ll get along :slight_smile: Other brands have coated versions as well, but I always found the Elixirs to be outstanding in regards to feel and tone in comparison.
So maybe see if you can get a set and see for yourself if they suit you.
Hope this helps! Cheers!

1 Like

I’m also a fan of Elixir coated strings. The other brand I like is Cleartone, similar to Elixirs.