Fast Fret - any good?

Hi Guys
Anyone here used and got an opinion on Fast Fret string cleaner & lubricant?
I’ve read varying opinions online. Some say it’s great and prolongs string life, others say it leaves gunk on your frets and fretboard.

1 Like

I tried it a long while ago, it’s ok but it does leave a residue so I only bought it once. I prefer a damp cloth or if it’s particularly grubby a damp cloth with a bit of washing up liquid in what I damp the cloth with. When I do that I use some fingerboard treatment when it’s dried.

1 Like

Here’s my thoughts on every product sold for guitar cleaning,
polishing or protecting.
They are a solution looking for a problem.
Ever notice that none of these products say anything about the
inside of your guitar.
Which is unfinished wood and never get any love but last the
life of the guitars or longer.
As long as you keep the humidity stable in your home all your
guitar needs is a moist cotton cloth to clean it.
To keep it clean wipe it down with a dry cotton cloth.

Your fret board is also unfinished wood unless it’s maple.
If the humidity in your home is stable your fret board will not
dry out and doesn’t oiling just cleaning.
If you like the dark color oiling your fret board and bridge the
oil it but its not needed.
If you oil a dirty fret board you’re doing more harm than good.
If you use polish to clean your guitar you’re doing more harm than
good. Polishing a guitar without cleaning it first will scratch the
finish. This is more so on nito finished guitar like your Martin.
So clean your guitar, love it and play it.

7 Likes

I’ve been using it for many years and really rate it. In fact I only buy a new one when the little cloth wears out - so 3 to 4 years? I replenish with WD 40 as it starts to dry out, although the modern ones with the little tin tend to make that less of a problem. For me it does the job, is very convenient and just drops in your gig bag.

1 Like

I tried it, but it was years ago. I didn’t find it worthwhile and stopped using it. But some guys swear by it. I say give it a shot and see if it works for you. Not much to lose, either way.

1 Like

I have it sometimes use it. I recommend fully. For me strings last longer soundwise and feeling is also more smoty after application. Suits me however I don’t use every time.

1 Like

I started using it a few months ago and now use it all the time. I don’t find that it leaves any residue at all. Can’t vouch for prolonged string life but certainly seems to keep strings clean and nice to play.

1 Like