Is this song anti British?

Given what @Socio has added and what you say here, I am very much inclined to agree with that advice to @iguitaryou … this song will more than likely stir up some strong feelings and unwanted comment if shared in a public domain.
There are so many other songs that will not.
Unless you are part of the culture that this song speaks to and speaks about, it is one to avoid.
Even though I am personally not offended, I agree with those suggesting you do not record it for youtube.

2 Likes

If you want to see how close you are to the edge just google bobby sands celtic and then same again bobby sands Rangers.

… and this is why we try to avoid discussing politics, religion and the like on this page.
I quite often disagree with majorities if I believe they are in the wrong.
Think for yourselves and be kind. Say what you believe and listen to other people’s opinions.
I’m getting out of this thread while the going is good :rofl:

4 Likes

Thanks James.

I take your point and I will definitely not be doing any of that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed.

No politics and no religion is a fundamental guiding principle of our community.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

True… and to quote Richard… go forth and learn more songs, more songs and more songs :smiley:

1 Like

If you’re not living on the edge you’re taking up to much space.

4 Likes

2 Likes
1 Like

This song is not anti British Darell. This is a protest song against the IRA bombing in Warrington in 1993.

@iguitaryou - Picking what does and doesn’t offend people is tricky even for those of us which speak English as our native tongue.

I regularly sing the song ‘Maybe it’s time’ from the Lady Gaga movie ‘A start is born’ and I usually introduce it simply as a song from the movie. Usually I get a positive response to the song, one time someone comments that they like the old ways, a reference to the lyric ‘Maybe it’s time to let the old ways die’

One evening around a campfire at a music festival I played the song with the same introduction and when I finished a guy I’d never met on the other side of the fire announced that he was greatly offended by that song. Sigh. As the saying goes, you can please some of the people some of the time but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, Richard, for taking the time and effort to explain the meaning of this song. It was very interesting to me :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Please don’t wander down the path of answering that @Eddie_09 Eddie
That is too political by far for this forum.

1 Like

Thanks @NicoleKKB

On the surface level, if you just take the lyrics and the music, the song is not notably controversial. It contains universal themes found in many songs old and new.

With more knowledge about the actual composer, and about the cultural and sectarian groups who have adopted it as ‘their song’ then it becomes a hot potato with the potential to cause division, argument etc.

2 Likes

On another level it shows that you could take a poem, shorten it and add some guitar music and deliver a well delivered song. This is something that @brianlarsen also demonstrated very well in one of the OM when he done the same for a childrens book.

Believe me Richard I have no intention of wandering down that path. As an Irish person I was disappointed that this topic was listed for comment on this forum. I joined this community for music. I am not interested in getting into politics or religion here but merely wanted to make clear that zombie is not an anti British song. Let’s hope that a line can be drawn under this and we all remember what we are here for.

5 Likes

@Richard_close2u Is it worth just closing and locking this topic off now? I think Tom’s question has been answered.

5 Likes