Is this the future?

Inquiring minds want to know

5 Likes

Na. Thats just the aftermath of an arvo the drugs.

Kinda like the music though :slight_smile:
R.

Wasn’t Ovation (one of) the first to use multiple soundholes on guitars?

Nice playing and a nice song, but all I can tell about the new holes is that they didn’t seem to screw the sound up much.

I need to hear the same song with the same mic, guitar and processing without the holes to know if they have anything to do with the sound.

My understanding is that, by and large, the sound comes from the top. The sound hole itself allows air to move. Where it is and what shape is not terribly important to the sound of the guitar. Overall size is likely somewhat important, but not absolutely important and sound hole and especially sound port location effects the tone that escape the hole (but not as much the whole guitar sound). There are perfectly nice guitars with no sound hole in front, only ports on the side.

Sound ports on the side of a guitar can direct more sound to the player, and allow the air to move similarly to sound holes in the front. The quality of sound the player hears is affected by location and size. Adding such a side port to an unported guitar can sometimes mess it up, occasionally help and sometimes just be nice for the player, according to what I have read. The problem is that the designer of the guitar designed it with a certain airflow and adding holes changes that.

Drilling holes in the front like this effectively increases the air flow a little, may allow slightly different frequencies to escape more than others, and may change the resonance of the soundboard a little, I suppose. Whether that is good or bad is likely completely chance.

I hope no one decides to wreck a nice guitar based on this video. And what if the drill hit a brace? Yikes!

1 Like

That’s cool! I’m gonna try that on one of my old acoustics!

“In general sound holes allow strings to vibrate more freely” says one of the captions on the video :thinking: Who hasn’t thought at some point, “if only my strings weren’t so restricted”? No, I haven’t either :joy:

The sound is so processed with effects how can anyone tell what difference the holes make? It’s not something I’ll be rushing to copy!

2 Likes

To be honest, this video is being discussed on all three of the guitar forums I am on and has generated 2.3 million clicks so far. One trashed guitar opening a controversial subject and showcasing some nice playing and recording. Seems like a win for this guy, bigly :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah cost of an old cheap guitar vs 2m clicks…

1 Like

Bernth is a cool guy, played in one of my fav. band Belphegor but I cant follow his teachings unfortunately. His lessons are like Mozart on cocaine :crazy_face:

1 Like

Sounded great. Would love to hear it next to an intact guitar but then again, being only 1 month into the whole guitar shenanigans, anything that doesn’t sound like a strangled cat sounds good to me :relieved:

Same here, i’d like to hear the same song with a guitar without the extra holes.
Right now, to me it looks like that guitar’s been used for targetpractice.

1 Like

Haha, funny you saying that!
Ovation did a massive amount of work and research into this idea and if you look at any of their guitars with multiple holes they’re always in the neck side of the top; the majority of the soundboard is untouched. There has to be a good reason for this, I would suggest that it interferes with the resonance and specific parts of the sound coming from the guitar. With the amount of processing that you hear on the video you have no idea what it really sounds like, also it’s electro acoustic which allows further adjustments.
My thoughts are that if this had have been revealed on the last few hours of March it would have been an April Fools joke!
I have an Ovation copy and have played a genuine one and I think that they always sound best plugged in, unplugged they have a sound of their own which to me is a bit like Marmite :joy:

2 Likes