Isolating guitar from backing track?

How would I go about playing along with a backing track and either a) only record my guitar, or b) record separate tracks and remove the backing track?

This is what I have to work with:

iPad Pro
MacBook Pro
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

You can do that using garageband.

Do you know how to record your guitar in garageband using your 2i2?

If so, then you should be able to simply drag the backing track mp3 into garageband and record your guitar as you play along. When playing back the recording just mute out the backing track.
You can add recordings by creating a new recording track.

1 Like

Focusrite have some setup videos

Thanks for the Garageband tip and resources. I don’t actually have the 2i2 yet. I just ordered it and should have it in the next day or two.

I was actually thinking about songs from YouTube or Apple Music. But, this points me in the right direction. I guess I need to look into finding mp3 tracks for the songs I want. Thanks again!

You can download and automatically create mp3 files from youtube videos using youtube-dl. It’s a free command-line app.

2 Likes

:+1:

Thanks!

There is a free app for iPad called Moises, it can separate whatever you want and save the files separately! Worth a try.

1 Like

Thanks ! I will look into that.

Thanks for this. The videos were helpful. Got my 2i2 today. Looking forward to testing it out this weekend.