I've got a problem here

I found myself realizing that I’d been laying awake for around a half hour thinking about a strum pattern that I JUST COULD NOT GET RIGHT and I was not going to go back to sleep. It was 4 am. My alarm goes off at 7 am. I got up, jumped on youtube to find a tutorial and slowed it way down to figure it out. That did the trick and I’m tabbing it out in guitar pro now and I can’t wait for the rest of the family to wake up so I can go downstairs and try it out.

8 Likes

Nice! That would be so satisfying
I reckon those early hours of the morning can be really productive

1 Like

The noon-time nap will be oh-so good!

2 Likes

And this is strange how? :rofl:

I really get a lot of things figured out like this.

So, how did it go once you could make noise?

You clearly need to buy a silent guitar.

MUCH better! I got much closer to what I think I’m hearing, and that’s good. I’m going to stick with what I have for now as it’s stretching my abilities but once I get comfortable with it then I’ll go back and take it further.

1 Like

Way way way back I used to own a Fat Strat and a RockMan, which was a great small personal amp made to run into headphones and be portable. I used to play that thing at night when everybody was sleeping.

Here’s a cool song about writing things down when you wake from your sleep in the middle of the night :wink:

2 Likes

That was interesting. I listened to it and then went to look up the lyrics. Then, I went and looked up the background to the song. Before I can finish that I have to leave for a work lunch but I think I’m going to dive into this a bit. I appreciate you posting it, could prove very interesting, care to post anything personal about it?

A Yamaha Silent guitar is useful for playing when you don’t want sleeping family members to wake up.

1 Like

You’re welcome and no problem (although it’s not ‘personal’ in an emotional way) :smiley:
I used to have a weekly radio show on a local internet radio station.
I could say or play whatever I liked
I stumbled on this song when I was doing a show on Dreams.
I just thought the lyrics were very clever
If you liked that you might also like this song from the same show by the excellent Silver Jews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-5q6dsAd5w&ab_channel=S.T.

2 Likes

I will look that up, thanks for the point.

That is really cool looking!

I owned one for several years and it worked very well for letting me play early in the morning while my wife is still asleep. Finally built a separate media room in our little house that has soundproof walls so I can now play my acoustic and no one in the house can hear it

1 Like

I need to go downstairs and have my wife go into our bedroom and see if she can hear me wailing away down there. If she can’t, then all is well. If she can, then I do have an opportunity to do some soundproofing over a period of time. I used to have some acoustic drums down there, but that’s a different beast, and I had to get an electronic set to play through in-ear monitors.

That’s really cool. Just don’t stop until you do get it right – for any of us, on any of these things. No matter how slow we have to go … lol … Great story, you nailed the key to learning anything at all: persist, and like a dog with a bone, don’t let go until we’ve got it down.

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of a silent guitar before! I wish I had. Just Googled it, they look great! I used to only play the electric with headphones when I lived with someone and needed to be quiet.
I do still have neighbours though :thinking: :laughing:
I’d love to have a soundproof room too! I could really make some noise, night and day :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a great option with headphones, it’s voiced acoustically. Also has 1/4 jack so you can put it through amplifier.

The only thing it doesn’t have is a vibrating body. I found I enjoyed it slightly less because of that.

1 Like

ah yes. that’s one of the great things about playing an acoustic, feeling it a lot more when you play.
Still, it seems like a great alternative when the acoustic is not an option

1 Like