JGC Open Mic XIV / 14 Call For Interest

I really think it is counterproductive to try to persuade people to do things against their better judgement.
My guess is that most folk who play guitar never play in public.
For those who’d like to have a go, the earlier you start (and less ‘proficient’ you are) the easier it is. It is less noticeable if you ‘make mistakes’, plus you get all the additional kudos along the lines of ‘aren’t you great to be joining in’…
You’ll do it when you’re good and ready, but don’t fool yourself into thinking the time will come when you will feel ready :rofl:

6 Likes

Dailin, you’d be most welcome. I suggest read the first post in this Topic carefully and follow the link to the Topic about how the Open Mic works and what is required to be eligible. In a nutshell I’ve seen your Introduction and next you need to post a recording in #audio-video-of-you-playing:avoyp

3 Likes

I never even play to my family - strictly a headphones guy - so the OMs are a great experience. Nerves are quite a challenge for me!

3 Likes

Audience for me please Toby UTC :blush:

2 Likes

To be honest, I dont feel “persuaded” and i dont think thats what he meant neither. I was pretty sure that this type of events were more for intermediate players. and he corrected me.

2 Likes

Dailin

The OMs are certainly open to folks at all levels but as David points out one must meet the eligibility criteria, which is why I encourage everyone to read the guide before signing on.
But you will be more than welcome once you have and as said when you are ready.
Absolutely no pressure.

:sunglasses:

I will take audience please utc-5

1 Like

Hi Dailin and welcome to the Community. Just wanted to give you a friendly guidance based on what you wrote:

I suggest having a look at some of the previous Open Mics we did to see some people at very early stages of their learning journey having a blast. I will name just some which I hope is okay:

1. TJC which unfortunately never followed us to new Community and stopped playing at 1:24:35 JustinGuitar.com Community Open Mic - 1st Edition (March 2021) - YouTube

2. @R.F.W was at early stages of his journey at OM VI check 0:18:57 JustinGuitar.com Community Open Mic - 6th Edition (February 2022) - YouTube

3. @grayal at OM VII had his debut too as a beginner at 0:33:26 JustinGuitar.com Community Open Mic - 7th and Special Edition for Richard aka close2u (April 2022) - YouTube

4. I could go for longer but honourable mention goes to @philsmith (who btw used to be Peejers :grinning:) as he made tremendous progress, check his first OM which was OM VIII at 1:10:30 JustinGuitar.com Community Open Mic - 8th Edition (May 2022) - YouTube and last which was OM XIII at 1:17:40 JustinGuitar.com Community Open Mic - 13th Edition (January 2023) - YouTube

So again ANY LEVEL of experience is welcomed :slight_smile: hope you join us one day, but not necessarily now if you feel it’s too early :slight_smile:

5 Likes

None of my family are interested in listening to me! Luckily I have my escape room! :joy:

2 Likes

I’d like to give it another go as performer.
I’ve been on the last 2, so happy to step aside and go audience if we fill up.
UTC-8
-Dale

2 Likes

Hi Toby, can I also put my name forward as a performer please :see_no_evil: :face_with_peeking_eye: :grimacing: :laughing:
(Thanks JK for the shoves, um, I mean encouragement :wink::stuck_out_tongue:)
NZDT UTC+13

9 Likes

OK latest confirmations.

@twistor59
@charlie_james
@nzmetal

Thanks guys, all added to the Performers pot. :wink:

@dailin
@Nancy15
@jasonbuk

Your audience places are ensured, thank to for your support !

3 Likes

Hi Toby, can I be included in the audience please? What a great night it was on Saturday, sorry had to bale out early on after show chat. Hopefully I’ll be better for next one. :+1:
Uk time zone :uk:

1 Like

:joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

4 Likes

If there’s any space to perform left, put me on the roster please Toby, UK time.
Thanks for organising!

4 Likes

thank you a lot david, i will be able to record myself this weekend and post it. (I actually want to start posting videos of myself on an regular basis, I think is a small step towards getting more comfortable performing in front of others, but a step non the less )

if by by then there is still an open place for me to performance I would love to do it.
If not, I will try next time and be very happy with my sit on the audience :star_struck:

4 Likes

Dailin

Just let me know, when and if you want to have a go and I will add you to the list at that point. It will make it a little easier on the admin side but don’t forget if you if you do not feel ready, there is always a place in the audience available and a good way to see how these events are played out (pun intended!)

Cheers

Toby

2 Likes

Overlooked my reply to this one David. Yes a quick slice and dice is all that’s need and an updated mini review of the last OM and off we go. And as you have seen a daily collective response to requests, also cuts down on the Admin, so the processing get easer for each subsequent OM.

Appreciate you dipping in with advice on the guideline now and then. Very helpful as I think folks still overlook the fundamentals.

1 Like

Can I have a performer seat, please, Toby?

UTC+0.

Thanks!

1 Like

Serhat, I refer you to the topic on eligibility in the first post in this Topic. You need to have posted at least one recording in #audio-video-of-you-playing:avoyp to be eligible, which I don’t see in there. Please share a link if I am missing it.

Plus an introduction (which you have done).

Get that done before the call for performers closes and you’ll be added by our man @TheMadman_tobyjenner

1 Like