JK’s rock songbook thread (Should I Stay or Should I Go added 17th October)

JK, well played. That was some intense power chord shredding. I wasn’t familiar with the song but I can hear that you played with passion. I can also tell that you’ve listened to the song a lot, because you were singing along with the lyrics (lip synching) at 2:50 :slight_smile:
It was a good idea to do this at pub playing level and not go for 100% accuracy (although I couldn’t hear the mistakes). It brings to mind a quote from Beethoven I saw online recently “ To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable!”

Just curious, since I am a DAW noob. Did you use the DAW software to remove the guitar from the song download. I have just been playing along to the song in my earphones, but some have suggested that I use a backing track. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks Lee, I appreciate it mate. Yeah sometimes it can get a bit busy here, and other times quiet… don’t feel you have to always watch or comment but it is nice when you do!

I really like that quote Steve. And thanks for the comments.

I didn’t use the DAW to remove the guitar, I think there is software that can do that but I haven’t used any. My DAW knowledge is basic, just recording guitar to a backing track, none of the advanced stuff.

I get the track without guitar as an mp3 from youtube (using a youtube downloader) or https://www.karaoke-version.co.uk/. For the youtube ones just search “guitar backing track” and the song you want. I play along with the song with the full band (including other guitars) until I can play it, then I use the track without the other guitars for practice and finally recording. Which I just drag into my DAW.

1 Like

JK, thanks for the backing track info. I have only recorded AVOYP twice on the electric guitar, so this is helpful.

1 Like

That song takes a lot of energy, and your playing is great. Really helpful to know the song too, for the various pauses, and clearly you do as you’re singing along a bit! Love the ending :point_right:

1 Like

Lol, thanks Mari! Been trying to add some interest without spending time editing :grinning:

1 Like

It’s been a long time since I was doing much recording…

Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love - Cover

Okay, okay, okay. Pretty much every guitar learner “learns” this song somewhere along the way, usually really early in their journey. I was debating if I even post it because of that.

It’s easy, right? Well, not if you learn it the way it’s supposed to be played. Most people learn the bassline. But: the staccato, the mutes, the double stops, the damn fast Clapton vibrato (which I still don’t get quite right). I was trying to figure out why I wasn’t sounding close enough to the recording before I figured out it was the staccato and muting.

I’ve tried to get the tone as close as possible, and use a backing track. I don’t play the solo! But it’s there in the backing track. All the rest of the guitar in this recording is me. I’m wondering if the mistakes are obvious :rofl:

Clickety click the pickety pic:

PS - I was trying to a new recording setup, for some reason the video is quite dark. I’ll figure that out on the next one.

16 Likes

I’m one of those gals who learned an early and simple version of this one. Playing all the way through, with all the little tricks, and sounding great, that’s impressive now. I’m envious of the tone you find, and wonder if it’s good because you enjoy the process, or you spend / have spent lots of time on tone in general, a combination of these 2, or something else.

As for potential improvements … :slightly_smiling_face:

The only thing I would suggest is to be able to comfortably play it without looking at your fingers the entire time. It’s not necessary when you’re not singing, and likely a bit awkward when you’re recording in a room by yourself. So although it might be cool to put on rock-star-persona and play to the camera for the entire song, looking up for a few seconds now and again would just confirm that you don’t HAVE to look at the fretboard.

Nicely played

Mari

1 Like

The mistakes aren’t obvious JK, I think it sounded good. And that tone is quite, ahum, creamy too.

Your self-analysis is spot on. You’ve taken the way it’s often played to another level that’s not too far from the original. Just give it a bit more edge with some slides, double stops, and muted notes.

I noticed you stopped moving your strumming arm during the chorus. That doesn’t have to be a problem since you kept your timing well, it just caught my eye.

1 Like

Great tone and well played, JK.

I think I might have noticed 2/3 mistakes but you keep playing and the song rocks on, so no time really notice those moments.

1 Like

JK @jkahn
Really enjoyed that, an iconic song from my youth, I was expecting Ginger Backer to appear in the background and do drum solo, ah those were the days.
Michael

2 Likes

Really Enjoyed that JK. I stopped looking for mistakes about 10 second in and just sat back and enjoyed your performance. If there were any they were so minute that they didn’t matter. Good Job.

1 Like

I’m with Rick and will completely ignore your recent post mini rant. No sh@t in this sandwich. Took me back to early days of playing and having nailed (?) the main riff never played more than half the song and never recorded it. I just embraced to tone and just sat back and listened. Sounded great sounded on point and no more to add.

Well done sir !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I must be a late developer as I’ve still to learn it :roll_eyes: and when I do eventually get around to learning it I’ll be sure to have a recap of your AVoYP as I thought it was pretty good dude. No fillings for the feedback sandwich from me. Now how about a recording of the acoustic version EC plays with some JK vocals sprinkled on top.

2 Likes

Hi JK. I’m catching up with the last couple of your rock songbook songs here JK. It’s easy to miss the multi songs on these threads.

The time and effort you’ve put in is clear. Super play and super tones on display there. I thought you really caught the Cream vibe.
Well done.

You’re long in enough in the tooth now to know you don’t point out your mistakes. :smiley:

1 Like

Excellent stuff JK. Sounded absolutely great. Your diligent practice and attention to detail is really paying off!

1 Like

That tone! I didn’t pick up on the mistakes, but then I was mostly just enjoying. I can’t think of anything to add to what has been said. Great job!

1 Like

Thanks Mari! I too learnt the simpler version of this first, it wasn’t until I started looking at why Justin’s tab was different than what I had learnt I realised there was more to it.

Tone - I’m not really an expert on it, just the amp I have (Mustang) makes it easy to find good tones, and I spend a little bit of time trying out different ones. The recording sounded double tracked to me, so I used a tone that emulated double tracking and rolled off the volume knob a bit on the neck pickup. It doesn’t take to long, just a small amount of knowledge and a bit of trial and error.

Oh, and I know what you’re saying about looking at the fretboard. I tried, but made too many mistakes! So fretboard focus it is :smiley:

Always surprises me when what I thought were big errors in playing don’t really show up that much in the mix. Yeah, my arm stops moving so I can mute the strings :wink:. Although my strumming/timing I think is fine, I’m definitely better at that than details on the left hand or picking with the right… Thanks for checking it out dude!

Thanks David! The mis-hit of a string was there, and one time I didn’t get the power chord down properly (brain fade…) but ended up hitting most of the right notes anyway… :wink:

Glad you could enjoy it Michael, I hope you could close your eyes and imagine long hair, bell bottom jeans and smoke in the air… :grinning:

Thanks Rick, I know you don’t watch a lot of AVOYPs so I’m glad you enjoyed my one :slight_smile:

What, me rant? Never! :wink: Yeah, I tend to speak my mind even if it gets me in trouble. Thanks for the kudos Toby (if that’s even your real name :rofl:). If at any time you need to give me the sh@t sandwich, feel free to serve it up… even if it’s just the filling :scream:

Ah, you went through the old beginner course right James? The new one has a variant of the riff in Grade 1. At the time I went to look at ultimate guitar and learnt the simple way to play the song. I played this while my 10 year old daughter had a friend over - her friend is learning guitar, and said she plays the song too :slight_smile: So it’s a common one! Thanks for the feedback dude.

Thanks Gordon. Glad you liked the song & the tone! And no worries about missing some of my songs, there are so many posted now.

BTW - I knew I was committing a sin by saying there were mistakes but I couldn’t help myself :grinning:.

Thanks Eddie, glad you enjoyed. Funny, a song doesn’t feel “done” until I just decide - screw it, I’m recording it! A better player would play it better, but this is me right now :slight_smile:

That’s my goal right there Mark, to have people enjoy the music. So I’m super happy you did!

6 Likes

Man, what a groove. Really well played JK and that guitar tone… schweeet.

Have you have a crack at the solo?

1 Like

Thx Stefan! I don’t think I’ll tackle the solo, it would take me ageeeeees to learn :grinning:

1 Like

Awww now come on, JK, that’s just not on mate! :angry:
I came here to give you a good old roasting on all the multitude of technical errors and horrendous tone in your performance, but there’s nothing for me comment on! WTF?! :man_shrugging: :confounded: :wink: :rofl:
No wait… hold on!! 1m36s the hit on the A (12th fret, 5th string) not 100% clean… Tidy that up will ya! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy:
Nah, in all seriousness mate, that was killer! :metal::smiley:
Really impressive playing, I have (of course! :laughing:) tried this myself and it’s certainly not straightforward and I’m sure I got nowhere near the level of proficiency you have with this. Nothing obvious to me to offer advice on really… but I’ll try! :joy:
Thought you did a great job on muting, although if I was super picky it seemed a little deliberate at times, rather than flowing as a natural part of your playing? :thinking:
Regarding tone, I listened to yours and the original. You’ve played down your efforts above, but don’t be so modest, your ear is good, I found it to be quite close, perhaps a touch more treble/presence in yours, at least to me, but otherwise very similar. Nice job!
As a side note, I was interested to see you mention a new recording setup. Does that include lighting (given the comment on being too dark)? I am thinking about upping my game there. Have only just started researching some options, so if that’s something you have considered also and have any recommendations, I’d love to hear.
Great share mate, glad you didn’t shelve this one, love the song and thoroughly enjoyed your cover. Well done again :clap: :sunglasses:

1 Like