JK’s rock songbook thread (Should I Stay or Should I Go added 17th October)

lol @roger_holland I was wondering if someone would be so eagle eyed… you must be talking about my new red lego strat? :rofl:

Well it was a gift for my birthday last month and I put it together last week. Still have a bit of the amp to do.

Nicely played sir.

1 Like

You’re not kidding, he sounds great. Ive seen some of his other list videos and he always sounds incredible.

Seems like there are a couple of different ways to play it. I’ve been learning it from Justin and he plays most of it on the 3rd string with some bends on the 8th and 3rd fret.

1 Like

That was superb JK. You did a great job with the song. Your guitar playing on these rock songs really shines. Bravo!

1 Like

Late to the party on here but being a folllower I did check them out when you published them on the tube.

RE: La Grange - looked the part and played the part… what can I say… a great bit of confident rhythm playing and you definately got to grips with the hybrid picking.

RE: In Bloom - you took your playing up another notch taking on the solo which sounded really good to my ears.

You’re making short work of these rock studies (and not just by skipping a few songs :roll_eyes:) and delivering some great covers. Great stuff mate.

1 Like

Thanks for checking it out @SgtColon & @Socio

More rock “coming soon” :crazy_face:

1 Like

What’s that time again? Time for more rock you say?

Kiss - Rock And Roll All Nite - Cover

As much as I never understood the point of spelling a word wrong to only save one letter (It’s Night, c’mon), this is was a pretty fun song to play. Popular before my time, really.

As usual this is played to a Karaoke-Version backing track. The song is in Open Gb tuning, which is the proper, and easier, way to play it, and I also thickened it up with a second guitar part playing Eb standard tuning. Although that was actually the harder way to play it. I was really tired when I recorded this, yesterday about 9pm at night after waking at 5am. I kept stuffing up the standard tuning video somewhere and losing concentration. So that bit at the end where I don’t hit the final chord at the right time stays :crazy_face:.

Tone-wise, didn’t do much for this one - just picked the “Classic Rock” preset on my Mustang.

Had a bit of fun with the video too. I do wonder though, do as many people see the videos when they’re buried in a thread like this now? Hmm… Anyway, enjoy!

Click me:

16 Likes

The GoPro’s back! :slight_smile:

Oh you cannot hide, you should know that by now!! :wink:

Really tight performance there mate, the thickening with the two parts sounded really good and nicely meshed together. Tone seemed to fit very well! And nice attitude to finish off with :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, they do! Cool playing and good match between the guitar parts. Loved the different angle of the go pro too. Thumbs up!

2 Likes

Another well done song JK. I remember learning both but only using the standard Eb tuning when I did my video. I can’t remember why I didn’t do both, lol. I really like that classic rock tone and you played it really well. That camera on the headstock is also awesome. I’ve been meaning to get into that but have been lazy in figuring it all out.

I haven’t had a hard time following yours, but I’ve had the same exact thought for mine as well. One thing I was thinking of doing in my thread is putting a link to the first post in all of my personal posts in the thread. That way it’s easy for folks to click that and see a link to all of the videos if they are interested. The mods have suggested to me as well to start splitting the thread into multiple threads where it makes sense. So, I’ll be making a new thread every 10 songs. That way it doesn’t get too large to find anything. Maybe try some of those.

3 Likes

That was excellent JK. Really well played on those power chords. Loving that camera shot from your headstock.

Are you sliding your fingers up and down the strings when you are moving up and down the fretboard and if so, please could you let me know how are you reducing the sliding noise?

I think some people may miss the update in the threads until they get used to the idea that you need to recheck it when it’s been bumped back up. I think we’re got so used to a new thread being posted for each song it just going to take a while to break that habit.

1 Like

That was great JK. Enjoyed watching you work those barre chords and the tone.

I never was to into KISS. And when I did listen to them, with all the hype, make-up etc I expected something that would make Black Sabbath seem mild and mellow. I was quite surprised to hear such light pop rock, such as this song.

As for the posting guidelines. I think if we edit the title (@Richard_close2u, did you confirm that there is no setting we can adjust to allow the Topic poster to edit the title as well as the first post?) and you add a link to the replies that include the song then it will get viewed.

When the edits are made then the Topic is bumped to the top of Latest and most people browse Latest, New, or Unread, so should see it (based on the survey I did). And the amended title indicates what is new so people will know it is not just another reply that is unread.

1 Like

Awesome stuff JK! Great rock out on this St Patrick’s day morning! You have developed some fantastic guitar skills to date. Really impressive!

1 Like

Great cover JK, and right on for the rhythm of the song. I really like the view from your headstock camera too. I wasn’t a huge KISS fan but I did like quite a few of their songs, including this one. I remember listening to this song decades ago, and it’s still played often enough on one of our local radio stations, so it’s stood the test of time that’s for sure.

1 Like

Nice playing on this song. You could learn every song on that album, that would be an impressive playlist! I missed this song before, it came up now on your YouTube channel after KISS (which also reminded me I haven’t listened through OM 14 yet, crap).

1 Like

Great work there JK. Some really solid and impressive guitar skills are building there mate. You’ve come a long way in a short period.
As for the actual song. Loved it. I was a big KISS fanboy in the late 70s, early 80’s, and this song/ album always got a solid workout, next to all our ACDC, Angels, and Midnight Oil records. If you asked me then who was the greatest guitarist of all time, it was always Ace Frehley. (He was actually right up there). I had quite a bit of memorabilia too floating around. My best mate had loads more, and actually went on to amass a pretty prominent collection in his adult life. But, I digress…hmmmm…
Well done again mate. Lookin forward to the next one.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Nice JK, love the POV… and the attitude.

Bit of stage craft coming along!

Yeah, the date in the title is a great clue to the new stuff.

1 Like

Dude you rock… you were in the zone… for a moment I thought you were about to burst out those vocals… you’re really cracking through those rock book songs… well done mate.

1 Like

By the looks of how many replies you got already JK safe to say you have managed to create a certain fandom that wouldn’t go aside any of your performance! :grinning: that was really good solid rhythm and well executed cover, loved the second camera angle too! All the best

1 Like

Haha! Yeah it is. Almost forgot I had it, which is kind of the thing with GoPros, they spend most of their lives in the cupboard. Just trying to make my videos interesting! :crazy_face: Thanks for checking it out.

Spotted! Yep so they do get seen, at least by the regulars :wink:. Glad you liked it Andrea!

Maybe it was a moment of genius, at how annoying it can be to stitch two videos together to the same audio timeline… auto audio match didn’t work as I’d exported the combined audio from Ableton! Okay, I’m overdoing it, it wasn’t that hard to match the audio - at least in DaVinci Resolve, vs how hard it was for me in the couple of other editors I’ve used - but it wasn’t one-click.

On the thread size, I think you have a point that at a certain size it makes sense to split it. I’m not there yet… but there’s a couple of gigantic threads in the community I stay away from as I let them get away from me (e.g. “what are you listening to”). So there is a point there. Thanks for checking it out Alexis :smiley:.

Hey Stefan! Yeah, I guess I am sliding my fingers up and down the strings. Some time ago after a lot of power chord & barre chord songs it became natural. If you hold your hand down to the fretboard you get a slide sound (like at the end of the pre-chorus riff here). If you take your hand off the strings they ring out nasty-like. There’s a point where you’re touching the strings lightly but they don’t make that rubbing noise that works for moving around. I also use right hand muting quite often, which you can see from the gopro at times. Thanks for checking it out mate :grinning:

2 Likes

You know what, I wasn’t either. The bands I was into were into Kiss… Weezer have a song on their first album where they sing about Kiss. There was this one guy in high school who was into classic rock (it was classic in the 90s). He wore Kiss & Led Zeppelin T shirts, and played guitar - a telecaster.

Yeah, I definitely couldn’t edit that title. I could for the first edit with La Grange, haven’t been able to since. Not sure why. Thanks to you and Richard for the edit.

Thanks Eddie. Reminds me, I saw you posted an AVOYP while I was at work yesterday and I haven’t watched it yet. Gotta go see it!

Thanks Mari! Gotta say I took a bit of inspiration from your multi-camera videos to try to make my vids a bit more interesting with different camera angles. I’m a real noob at it so just trying a bunch of different things that don’t seem too hard.

Glad I could do a song you love Shane! :wink: Kiss were definitely a rock institution back in the day. Thanks for the Kudos.

One day I might even get to your level of stagecraft Dave! Well that would be a while away, I’d have to start decorating a set to the song’s theme… hmmm… :crazy_face:

Let’s be glad I didn’t! :rofl: In truth in some previous takes I was more “rocking” but then I kept losing it and making mistakes so thought I’d try to focus a bit more on the playing. Thanks for the checkout James!

Yep, appears people do see the updates on the big threads. At least the usual suspects do :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Cheers for checking it out Adi.

2 Likes