JK’s rock songbook thread (Should I Stay or Should I Go added 17th October)

I was disappointed there was no face paint if I’m honest. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for watching @JasonBuk & @rossbd

Ross, I did think about buying a KISS mask :rofl: But thought it might be too much effort for that one!

JK, viewed all of your rock songbook video posts. Great playing, especially the clean technique and right strumming groove. It gives me something to work towards in my struggles on the electric. Cool headstock angle with the attached GoPro. Very instructional on the barre chord fingering. Keep up the awesome posts.

Hey, thanks Steve. Cheers for checking them out and thanks for the kudos. I’m still learning myself… the barre chord fingering in Rock n Roll All Nite is in Open G tuning so it’s a bit “different” but still a lot like a regular barre chord. Keep at the electric, it’s loads of fun and certainly feels a lot different to play than acoustic stuff. I love both personally.

1 Like

What a crushing disappointment. Where was the make up?? :slight_smile:

Seriously, great job.
Couldn’t help but sing along and play air drums.

Digger

1 Like

Not sure if this is rock, but it’s in Justin’s rock songbook. So it must be!

The La’s - There She Goes - Cover

I recorded Lonely Boy only two days ago (in its own thread), this one yesterday. The reality is I hadn’t recorded anything in a while. With a vacation trip away, school holidays and OM prep, I hadn’t really felt inspired to record. So had to break the drought. There is something that happens when recording where you hear the little issues that you couldn’t hear when just practicing.

I don’t know why this song is in the “beginner” section of the rock songbook. Probably for the acoustic rhythm part, which is straightforward open chords. The trickiest one there is the Cmaj7, and it’s not even a hard grip, it’s just the proprioception that was hard, getting it under the fingers.

The riffs though… @alexisduprey knows. Conceptually easy, in practice jumping between 2-3 strings for the whole song at the tempo it’s in was a whole different matter. This isn’t the same as the album, there’s a bit of blagging going on throughout but it’s the same gist (and based on what Justin teaches). I found it super useful with further developing lead skills and picking accuracy. 5 minutes every day… to the point my wife said “STOP! I used to like that song, but you keep doing it!” So a new riff must be chosen to destroy :rofl:.

Tone. Reasonably simple. Electric is a Fender Twin Reverb amp model with large hall reverb and a very small amount of tape delay. Acoustic is just Fender Twin Reverb amp model with large hall reverb. In hindsight I should have used a compressor for the electric part to add some consistency.

Here it is, thanks for the watch:

Click me:

10 Likes

Both parts well played, JK, sounding good and your fretting, strumming, and picking all looked pretty relaxed.

I’d describe that as pop-rock, so in the sub-genre :laughing:

Well done, admire your discipline and dedication to practice.

1 Like

JK bravo, saw it on Tubez few mins after publishing. Job well executed, enjoy that track a lot and you made my day with it :slight_smile:

As you value suggestions mine would be playing around a bit more with pinky - when you play the main riff I noticed that note which you play on high e string 5th fret is sort of muted here and there. By looking at your fretting hand what came out to my eyes suddenly was that your finger is reaching closer to the left fret rather than going closer to the 6th fret, so naturally it’s more difficult to get the right sound. Try to stretch out your 3rd/4th finger gap so you can reach bit further down the fretboard to get cleaner sound.

A lot of words for such a simple thing to explain, hope it makes sense? :smile: all the best JK and glad you beat down the hiatus!

2 Likes

Loved it JK! One of my favorites and you nailed it. Brought me back to my teenage years!!! I also practice that riff quite often and am also in Danger of turning my wife off the song :joy:.

1 Like

Making my way through these and they’re great, in bloom is a particular favourite :clap: watching you and others on the electric guitar has got me wanting one lol :joy: excellent stuff :v:

1 Like

Thanks David. Funny, I don’t feel like I’m particularly disciplined about it, I just enjoy playing guitar a lot and trying to learn new things. It feels like a treat. Like being dedicated to craft beer or chocolate mudcake, it’s not that hard. :rofl:

Glad you saw it on the tubez! You would have probably noticed I didn’t post it in the community straight away as well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I know what you’re saying about the pinky. The reality is that’s as far as it goes right now without being under tension - I’ve got more stretch in it but can’t play a riff like that. However I’ve been working on it, I’ve been doing finger stretching every day for almost a year now. I’m cursed with a short pinky and inflexible hands (although fortunately my fingers are strong for barre chords and nimble from touch typing, so it’s not all bad). I’m not sure how far I’ll get it to go but over the years I’m hoping I can increase it a lot - it already has.

You know the challenge then Eddie! Do you play electric too? I’ve seen you do acoustic, I imagine the riff is a lot harder on acoustic. I’m sure I did it a couple of times on acoustic but haven’t sat down to do the lead part of the whole song on it.

Only one solution to that Lee… buy one! I’m sure when I started the Justin course, in one of the early videos Justin recommends learning on electric, so I bought my first one right near the start. Thanks for checking my vids out.

1 Like

Hey JK, another one very well executed! :sunglasses: :+1:
Those single note repeating riffs across multiple strings are sooooo hard to play consistently throughout a song! :sob: I always find them a nightmare and was impressed watching you keep it trucking the whole way through. From your comments above in reply to Adi, I know you are working on improving the stretch of that “cursed” little pinky, so I won’t bring that up again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Your open chord strumming looked and sounded spot on to me, you’ve certainly got that aspect of guitar properly squared away mate :partying_face:
Great job mate, on to the next one! :guitar: :metal: :

1 Like

Your doing really good man! Keep it up!

1 Like

Hi Jk,
Nice one how you played :sunglasses:, but rock??? nooooo:grin:

Greetings,

1 Like

Between rock and a sofa… :rofl:
(Even if from my chosen hometown, not really my cup of tea.)
Always in awe of your discipline and progress dude.
Keep swigging on whatever formula it is you’re using :smiley:

1 Like

Jk,
Nice mix and effort mate! Really enjoyed this and hope you can swap out all the instruments and make this a full production of your own!

Cheers and all the best,
LB

I find them a nightmare too, this was not my first take (took about 3), despite so much practice I started playing one of the riffs wrong once the camera was on :crazy_face:.

And yeah, the open chords are easy now, have been for a while :wink:

Thanks for dropping in and checking it our Byron.

If it’s rock, it would be pumice.

Thanks Brian, I’m more a guitar addict than disciplined. Although let me tell you about the secret formula… buy more guitars. Every guitar you buy (especially if it’s a name brand) improves you picking speed and accuracy by 11.4%. Guaranteed*.

.* May not actually be true

2 Likes

Nice one JK. I agree with Adi’s feedback, but I think you did very well. Keeping that riff consistent is harder than it seems, especially when the melody and the rhythm change in the bridge section.

1 Like

great cover JK! Accuracy can be really tough with this song, so you did a great job. Love how the rhythm sounds too, I sometimes want to re-record my cover using an acoustic guitar instead of the electric with an acoustic emulated tone. Nothing sounds quite like an acoustic guitar.

I don’t think I ever felt comfortable with the main riff. Even the day that I recorded my cover I just could not get it consistently accurate. I finally had enough and just said “whatever this next take becomes that’s what I’m using”, lol.

1 Like

:+1::+1::+1: so cool the way you have the electric and acoustic together in the video.

1 Like