JK’s rock songbook thread (Should I Stay or Should I Go added 17th October)

J, Yeah, a huge difference to my ears. Sounding good. Something to watch for in the future.

2 Likes

Brilliant stuff JK. Caught in on the Tube first off, just to be ahead of the game. A really great song to cover and you did a fantastic job of it.

I’m looking forward to see which others ones you do from the rock book.

2 Likes

Thanks @nzmetal @LBro @liaty @roger_holland and @oldhead49 for checking it out again with the updated BT - a lesson learned for me on how to use karaoke-version backing tracks and picking the right key. I had just assumed it would be the same as the album key and the off-tuning on the album caused that sound… nope!

Something else coming soon… :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Good to see you posting videos again JK. That was top quality!

^ this was definitely my approach in the first year or two. I didn’t care too much if I could only play a song slowly or with an unrecognisable strum or with dud notes ringing out in between… which I’m still guilty of doing sometimes :slight_smile:
I guess my early strategy was to hope that the combined mileage of the songs would help improve my chord changes, strum patterns, barre shapes, etc

But all of your covers wouldn’t be out of place at a live gig mate. Keen to see your other upcoming songbook covers too.

1 Like

Fantastic - also the “pub level” idea is just great !

1 Like

La Grange by ZZ Top - Rhythm Guitar Cover

In the grand tradition of just getting it out there rather than perfecting it, here’s my cover of ZZ Top’s La Grange. C grade pub band quality, but if you’re drunk enough you won’t notice the mistakes! :rofl: No shredding here, I left that for the backing track.

Enjoy.

Oh yeah, I skipped a couple of the songs in the rock songbook because they’re a bit dull to play. This one is fun, even though it’s repetitive. And really quite tricky to do it at this speed, for me at least. Way easier to play it clean slowly.

Click me:
la grange cover

19 Likes

Jk…Oooooh my, :flushed:oh my,
Wonderfully played…supper heavy. :sunglasses: :clap: :sunglasses: :clap:
I have to say there’s something I can’t quite put my finger on… have you bought new shoes or something?nails trimmed?

Greetings and THANKS :rofl:

1 Like

Well played! This song, while repetitive, is still super tough to play. I also find that it’s easier to play it clean. When I did, I played the entire track clean and added the distortion after. How’d you feel about the hybrid picking? That felt really tough at first for me.

Also, I almost spit out my morning coffee when I saw the thumbnail JK, lol.

1 Like

I love the creative solution to the “guitar face” problem :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You know what, I did trim my nails! :joy::crazy_face:

1 Like

Mission accomplished :wink:.

The hybrid picking was challenging to get to grips with. Especially the bits where the pick is easier to go up vs down… hard to explain when. I feel I’m used to it now but took a while.

1 Like

I really felt like I was in the band :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A fully unexpected outfit there JK, really made me chuckle when I first saw the thumbnail of the video, that is way beyond @brianlarsen 's blue wig :rofl:

Sounded really cool overall, you don’t have issues with timing in this sort of tunes which is a good thing. One comment I could make is that intro I would play perhaps with a bit more of a palm mute action in place, to get a crisp transition between the intro and the rest of the song. Other than that more practice to get edges polished up and you are good to go with more posh alike Pub than a dodgy C grade ones :laughing: all the best JK

1 Like

Cheers for the tag Ade, i would have missed this one and I do enjoy when folk go one step beyond the regular ‘Listen to me recreate the original song:laughing:
That’s a nifty bit of rhythm playing right there JK; and killer tone.
Keep on and you’ll end up a shredder yet! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Just great JK…loved the video and loved the song. Made me smile all the way through.

1 Like

That was pretty funny JK. And also good! Rock on for sure, you’re doing great learning these songs. And I never noticed it before but now I can’t help noticing - I think the walls in your house are the same colour as mine. A bit lighter maybe :joy:

1 Like

Awesome stuff JK. The beard really suits you as well!!! Very confident playing! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for checking it out @adi_mrok @brianlarsen @Rossco01 @Mari63 @Eddie_09

Was beginning to wonder how many people would notice the video given it’s a bit buried in the thread here… And I spent a whole $9 on that beard! :rofl: The beanie was one of my daughter’s Frozen beanie on backwards, it’s a got a picture of Elsa on the other side :rofl:

@adi_mrok Oh there are loads of issues with that playing, it’s pretty hard to get muting down with the chicken’ pickin’ in the riff. I’ll probably come back to this one later as my playing gets better, for now it’s the seedy pubs for me!

@brianlarsen Shred or shred not, there is no try. Well, I definitely don’t shred. Yet.

@Rossco01 Making it a bit funnier than normal was the intention… so glad it worked! :smiley: Smiles are good!

@Mari63 Lol, yes our walls are close in colour, I said that to you in another thread! I just switched my light globes over which makes it more obvious. Glad you found it funny.

@Eddie_09 I’ve tried to grow a beard before and it gets too itchy, then I shave it off… this way is more convenient :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Bahaha! That’s epic, JK! Loving your commitment on this one! :guitar::bearded_person::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Sorry for the slow response too, I saw this pop up (being a dedicated YouTube follower of yours of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), but life hadn’t let me properly view it until now.
You got groove brother! :metal::sunglasses: Sounded great to me, that tone was tasty! :yum:
I often find simple repeating riffs one of the hardest things to do to keep the rhythm/timing going throughout, yet you’ve got that down my friend! :smiley::+1:
Loving your pick-a-path adventure through the JG Rock songbook! On tenterhooks to see what the next installment might hold… :thinking::grimacing::laughing:

1 Like

lol, thanks Jeff. Oh don’t worry about the slow response thing, sometimes I don’t see AVOYPs for days and days… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Good to know you’re one of my legions of subscribers (29, lol).

Oh there’s more JG Rock Songbook stuff coming… not really soon though, it might like waiting for the Avatar sequel.

1 Like