JokuMuu's Learning Log

As a side effect of practicing F-barre in module 9 I noticed that power chords are much easier now. I can now play them much more relaxed than I used to … with quite a lot of less tension and pressure than I use for F-barre for example (will have to train getting more relaxed there with time as well…)

I’m so tempted to skip ahead to module 12. Still… I guess it’s finally enough of the sneak peaks and time for more disciplined practicing… :innocent: :notes:

1 Like

Every cloud has a silver lining ! :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s great, Nicole.

1 Like

… and way too much way too fast. I still can’t believe that I’m finally making progress…

1 Like

Surely you have your vegetables in a meal not alone. Putting the chords you have conquered into a song gives them context and helps with memory and timing. All Along the Watchtower is only 3 chords.

And as I said before, as you move forward things that before were hard become easier. How’s the D minor now you know Barre chords?

1 Like

True that, mostly not just vegetables…

I think you do have a valid point. I know the shape now… If I slide it around now and then, I have nothing to lose really but perhaps something to gain. I might even be surprised at some point what is possible.

My wrist just like to have a small break from too much Barre chords practice…

Dm is a good comparison, had I avoided it, I wouldn’t be friends with it now :slightly_smiling_face:

Nicole, I assume you mean the left-hand wrist making the barre chord? If so, then you may want to look at your hand position. To best of my (at best advanced beginner) knowledge, the wrist should be in such a position that it experiences no stress when making the barre chord. My betters should correct me if I am wrong. I think forearm, wrist, hand should be pretty much in straight alignment, leading to no stress on the wrist.

2 Likes

You’re on point, David. Forearm, wrist and hand should be aligned without too much of an angle between hand and arm. Of course, we are all a little different with regards to anatomy, so some slight angle might occur.

When in doubt, Nicole, you could try and post a picture of your left hand while barring. But I think a little soreness when starting out is part of the progress, too. :slight_smile:

Congrats on your achievement nevertheless. It’s just great when it clicks and what formerly was known as impossible finally becomes possible. :smiley:

1 Like

It’s impossible to play a barre chord without bending your wrist…

@DavidP @Lisa_S Thanks. :hugs:

Yes, it’s the left wrist. I would not be surprised at all if there is too much of an angle…when barring at least. It’s something I absolutely want to take to those in person lessons once they start.

Picture, I don’t know how well that will succeed… But I meant to record some practicing later maybe I can excerpt shot from there.

1 Like

That’s my experience when I tried yesterday. Mainly dead strings. But I put that down to my old entry model Yamaha acoustic with high action that I had repaired, restrung and wanted to test. Well and of course I also put it down to bad technique in general.

Surely it is however a valid question how much the wrist has to be bent and how much pressure thumb and fingers have to exert. I very, very likely used much more force than I would actually need to…

I mentioned this on the small hands thread too but my wrist bends a full 90 degrees to get a barre chord; it won’t bend any further.

Look at my demo of “Under The Bridge” in the riff thread and observe how my wrist bends from one extreme to another. Look at the last barre chord (which is a EMaj7) and see how the wrist is bent in relation to the arm.

I’d like someone to point out the Justin lesson “thou shalt not bend your wrist “

Hi Peter,
as I pointed out in my comment, everyone is different from anatomy perspective, so some need to bend their wrist more than others.

But Justin explains we shall try to have the angle as small as possible as given in this lesson: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/e-shape-barre-chords-major-4b-001

So if it’s working for you as it does, just go ahead. :slight_smile: I have very small hands, too, and need to bend my wrist slightly for certain chords. :slight_smile:

Thanks Peter

I was not intending to come across as if I was quoting Justin. I was just sharing my own perspective, which was caveated as being definitely not an expert opinion.

I don’t recall ever experiencing soreness in my wrist playing barre chords. General soreness and fatigue in the muscles of my hand, yes. And I think that is perhaps result of a few things, pressing harder than necessary, poor technique forming the barre, not using the weight of my arm, and just normal need to improve strength.

I recall there being a Justin lesson with a few tips on playing barre chords. Not sure if it is part of the new Grade setup or on of those extra lessons. Let me see if I can find it as maybe it will be helpful

Yes. But There’s a difference between having some angle and having it straight.

BTW the F barre chord is impossible to play on an acoustic with a high action. Better learning higher up the neck ie G or preferably A

David I was not singleling out you by any means. There are a number who advocate a straight wrist on the forum often the same people who complain about injuries.

2 Likes

I couldn’t find the lesson on on the website but had more success on YouTube. If somebody busy with Grades 1-3 knws where this lesson is please let me know, or if you know where to find it on the website. If not on the website then I will get it referenced as I recall it being quite useful.

Anyhow, maybe this will be of value Nicole.

1 Like

It’s a while back I watched the lesson, but I recall him saying to try to aim for a straight line between arm, wrist and hand. There is a pic in the description, too.

I didn’t follow the small hands thread, so I don’t know, what was said. But trying to aim for a straight position doesn’t seem to be something that was made up by folks, as it is also adviced by Justin. Anyhow, I don’t want to hijack Nicoles LL.

Wrist position is something to be aware of to not get injured and we all are different. So actually we are on the same page and need to adjust to our very own anatomy and try what works best. :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

If I recall correctly Justin is not saying play the barre chord with a straight wrist. He is saying you should not have a 90 degree angle, that you should soften the angle.