JokuMuu's Learning Log

Yes, it will be fun. Period :sunglasses:

No focussed practicing anymore before tomorrow eve. Instead I will search some random backing tracks and find some nice amp setting and simply improvise a bit with those very basic and limited scales from the early Grade 2 modules.

There is not much better than that for trying to stress less :star_struck:

1 Like

These aren’t basic or limited scales, they are the same notes you’ll be using further up the neck later on in your journey. Explore them and find what sounds good. Have fun with your stress relief.

1 Like

I will :slightly_smiling_face:

Phrased it badly, maybe… I mean I’m more or less still stuck in one position both in Em pentatonic open and the C major scale with the open strings… But then, why don’t I experiment using my ears? I might randomly find good sounding notes that belong to the respective scales further up the neck (and check later if I was correct).

Learning by burning so to say :fire:

1 Like

I did not get burnt after all. I am so happy :blush:

While I was improvising - I mean making music, not just randomly checking notes to a backing track - I wrote down 11 notes located on different frets and strings across the whole neck that I thought did fit especially well. Then I checked. And … They were all correct.

Lessons learned:

• Never forget that scales are there for making music - not to test how fast they can be played (though faster fingers will come in very handy in the future.)

• Trust your ears. They are more sensitive and maybe even more musical than you think.

• Try to remember once and for all that all the notes on the 12th string belong to Em minor pentatonic not just the E on the high e string and the B on the B string…

• Figuring out notes belonging to a scale by trial and error during an improvising session is fun. Enourmous fun.

• No harm in trying to complete black holes in the complete Em minor pentatonic scale trough more trial and error.

• Check for correctness by referring to these lessons: https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/minor-pentatonic-scale

5 Likes

Em Minor Pentatonic Fretboard Diagram is now completed. More than of 50 % of the notes I found by playing to an Em backing track (I guess that’s the very definition of noodling? :ramen: :ramen: :ramen:)

Starting point were the dark grey dots taken from the open minor pentatonic Em scale that Justin teaches in module 8. Then I found the “blue dot” notes by ear and playing along. After that I found the “pink dot” notes also by ear and playing along (apart from completing the missing notes in 12 fret, which is just logic in the end). The “yellow dot” notes I completed by checking.

Should someone wonder… No, I didn’t go completely made yet. There is actually logic to my chaos. Next step is filling in the notes and identifying root notes. Step after that = identifying the five patterns. To be followed by learning to play each pattern. To be followed by using each of the five patterns ( with or without extension(s))for improvising, Maybe I will even find a few nice phrases,

Is it btw really so that I’m playing G major pentatonic if I’m emphasizing the Gs instead 9f the Es?

1 Like

you re doing more than what module 8 is asking :confused:

Hi Nicole. My advice would be to stick to pattern 1, maybe also pattern 2 and improvise with them over your backing tracks. All the different patterns are using exactly the same notes, just in different places on the neck so they all sound the same. Once you become more advanced you may find a particular pattern makes the fingering easier and suits the lick you’re playing but that’s in the future.

3 Likes

You are correct but this is a dangerous slop to walk on. You need to train your ear to identify the Major and minor sound before you go noodling over G major backing tracks. Other wise you’ll fall into just playing the Em pentatonic scale over G which will work but you can’t play GM pentatonic over Em.

I also agree with Gordon on this Learn to use pattern 1 adding in the first 3 purple note before venturing off on the whole neck. You’re setting yourself up to crawl down a very deep Rabbit Hole. Which is OK if you don’t want to learn anything else for the next 2 years.

A friendly reminder from Justin.

5 Likes

And Nicole what the heck… :blush: …I told you so :joy:

Baby steps baby steps … and you don`t have to spill all that time like Rick also says ,
Learn from my mistakes :blush:

Greetings

Edit :I’m going to look up for you a thing/sheet what I did and learned in the first weeks of learning guitar… :see_no_evil:

@sairfingers, @stitch and @roger_holland Thank you so much for your helpful comments. @roger_holland I will reread your message.

It seems it will be a long road for me trying to slow it down @MacOneill . There is so much to learn and so little time…

I have watched the video @stitch posted the point “if you can’t make music out of one pattern” hits home a lot. I’d wager I can, if slowly and without knowing any licks (and don’t most of those require sliding or bending at least?). But I can. So there shouldn’t be a real need for going overboard now.

In this particular case I ended up using the Octave as well when first improvising. So I was faced with a big black hole of what might be in-between that I wanted to fill. My question was which other notes are there that I can use for improvising in that scale.

But I very much see and understand your (and Justin’s) wisdom and I will limit myself :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Nicole , just do the exercise and thats all :smiley:

slow down !

1 Like

This right here is why learning to use these 5 notes(yes there is only 5) to make music is so important.
Here’s a grade 2 song to help you fill in some of that Black Hole. All the licks and turn around are in the Em pentatonic scale adding in those 3 purple notes. You can also play this on an electric guitar with a pick.

3 Likes

Thank you SO much. I will take a look.

Fantastic Nicole it’s really satisfying to discover these things for yourself rather than have them spoonfed. It also speeds up the learning as you drag your brain through it.

The shape on the 12th fret is fundamental and is the key to unlocking lots of other things. It’s something you have to get under your fingers. John Mayer calls that the Equator.

2 Likes

Hmm … Honestly, I didn’t figure it out on my own. I saw somewhere in the Circle of fifths that E minor seems to be be the relative scale of G major :slightly_smiling_face:

It will take a lot of PMT work to get a better understanding of these concepts. And a lot of dedicated learning of the notes on the fretboards.

The video you shared is sparking my interest, but I realize it’s way over my head at the moment. I will put it into my treasure chest of valuable guitar things and return to it at the right moment. Because… Oh yes, return I will.

Hang on a mo… you @JokuMuu posted a map of the entire E minor pentatonic across the fret board which you’d worked out for yourself. What I shared is really not far removed from that; the main difference being that it was in C minor pentatonic not E minor penta. You will have to learn things in different keys.

The difference between your E minor penta and A minor penta is ONE note (C instead of B). BLIM is being taught in A.

I’ve been accused on here of confusing people with more advanced stuff but if you’re already exploring pentatonics this is in that ball park. It’s not a million miles away…

1 Like

but at module 8 its not what was asked :confused:
Nicole has been told to slow down by her guitar teacher :confused:

baby steps and following the cursus

All good :slightly_smiling_face: There is a time and place for everything and you can see @MacOneill scolding me below.

It’s surely not a million miles away. I agree with that. But all those scale things are still brand-new concepts for me. I’m curious and I like to see the full picture. That’s why I did the Em scale experimentation thing (which of course was not demanded in Grade 2). It’s so fascinating and logic. I love the mathematics behind all that. But given that it’s so new it will take time to grasp, learn and apply. As @roger_holland pointed out this in his LL this morning deep diving into scales will take lots of time and given that I have limited time for guitar, I should listen to the voice of reason and should try breaking scales into more disgestible bits and forget about all the magic that is there to be discovered.

I will give you an example. When I started learning Finnish, I started with learning and understanding the grammar. I wanted to see what is out there, I wanted to get the big picture, wanted to understand the logic and rules. And just like much of music theory, Finnish grammar is logic and mathematical. That was the right way for me to go… But I needed to invest a very significant amount of time to learn. In the end it stopped me from speaking Finnish as soon as I would have been able to form simple coherent sentences.

I see many parallels between learning a new language (in order to actively and passively use it) and learning scales (in order to make music, learning scales for scales sake means nothing to me). I could have used Finnish to dare communicating with people as soon as I have been able to form simple sentences. But I didn’t dare. I wanted to be better, I wanted to show that I understood bigger concepts, had a bigger range. But - in the end - doing so I robbed myself from chances to learn differently and to expand the basics bit by bit.

Thus, I was actually really glad when people started objecting after I had proudly posted my scale diagram. Perhaps - now - is first the time to make simple sentences and to get comfortable using them. And this will be a very big challenge for me (because my inquiring spirit would want to start galloping down this road).

So. You did not confuse me. It’s a wonderful teaser of what will be ahead in the near future :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I only went off what was posted:

Are “Patterns” of the pentatonic scales in Module 8?

What I shared was merely a look at how Pattern 5 relates to Pattern 1 (but in an interesting and thought provoking way). If someone is already demonstrating a thirst for learning there is nothing wrong in exploring this and stretching yourself even it’s beyond your playgrade. As someone pointed out elsewhere, learning at a snail’s pace came be demotivating.

we re all different and everyone has his own pace
and going against what her teacher told her is probably not the best advice at the moment

module 8 is just playing that and learning to mute strings at the same time

G2-E-Min-Pent-Open

2 Likes